A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

The season begins: the February garden - Page 2 Hca_button

The season begins: the February garden

+3
freebird
Ploshkin
Chilli-head
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The season begins: the February garden - Page 2 Empty Re: The season begins: the February garden

Post by gunners71uk 22nd February 2015, 9:20 pm

think i go to bed and dream about spring i was thinking of setting betroot in modules to start some off early do they transplant ok ?

gunners71uk

Back to top Go down

The season begins: the February garden - Page 2 Empty Re: The season begins: the February garden

Post by Chilli-head 22nd February 2015, 9:43 pm

I don't really know, but Geoff Hamilton - who was usually right - said you could multi-sow them in modules in mid- late winter (like now) to plant out as clumps under cloches later, so that they push each other apart to find space. Watch they don't get frosted, that triggers beets to run to seed. I tend to sow some beetroot when I get spare propagator space, but for salad leaves only. I tend to grow beetroot for storage over winter to make borscht, for which early sowing doesn't gain anything.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 23rd February 2015, 3:08 pm

Gunners. I have often started off beetroot in modules because if I sow directly into the ground they will sometimes germinate and then just do nothing for the rest of the season or the seeds get eaten by mice or something. I'm careful not to disturb the seedlings when I transplant the modules & have grown beetroots successfully this way.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by TamaraNicole 25th February 2015, 12:27 pm

Hi everyone, what'up?
(And sorry again for not coming in for a while...)
TamaraNicole
TamaraNicole

Back to top Go down

Post by TamaraNicole 25th February 2015, 12:32 pm

Sorry i got mixed up in the forum good idea CH!
Nothing happening in my garden, everything is frozen...
TamaraNicole
TamaraNicole

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 25th February 2015, 2:13 pm

Good to see you back Tamara. Sorry if I've confused matters; I wanted to capture the seasonal nature of gardening in the way we organised the threads.

I am still waiting nervously for chilli germination. 16 days so far, and I have one Bolivian Rainbow up. I hope it is the beginning of a run of emergence. Normally it's 14-21 days, and at 21 days I panic and sow more, only to find both batches germinate and I have too many chillies for my greenhouse yet again Laughing
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by gunners71uk 27th February 2015, 11:32 am

well theres chilis on wondowsills, sweetpeas in porch braod beans in porch onion seedling in porch pea onwards growing in porch potatoes chitting in pantry spuds chitting in our bedroom there are sweetpeas in allotment greenhouse and onion seedlings too so a bit low key at moment lol
gunners71uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 27th February 2015, 4:33 pm

Something similar here - the windowsills are becoming laden with seedlings. I did get the chitted potatoes planted out in the dustbin I use this afternoon - at least I can protect it with bubble wrap and a stout lid if we get frost. Broadies to go out in the cold frame tomorrow: my knees have had enough for one day!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 27th February 2015, 5:26 pm

Things are much quieter here.  I have my potatoes chitting on the workshop window ledge, and one propagator of chillies and peppers germinating (set to 24C) and another of tomato seedlings at 15C.

So far have only got about 10 chillies up - but there is time yet.  Their emergence is normally slow.  But the Anaheim from the seed swap are amongst the ones up already.  The tomatoes all germinated bar one, so I have twice as many as I need !

The broad beans, garlic and onions have had to fend for themselves since October out in the ground. I am drifting away from module planting a bit. Last year I raised leeks in the traditional seed bed approach rather than modules, and they did very well with a lot less bother.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by TamaraNicole 27th February 2015, 9:26 pm

I've never done anything before april... Should I? You guys have a lot going already!
TamaraNicole
TamaraNicole

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 28th February 2015, 11:18 am

...but it's all things which need a certain amount of heat. On the whole, I won't be starting the bulk of my veg off until the weather is warmer - my windowsill isn't long enough, and I don't have a heated greenhouse. I like to get a few things off to an early start, just in case we have crazily mild weather, but they will all need a lot of TLC at the moment.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gunners71uk 4th March 2015, 6:41 pm

we just sowed some mild sweet pepper,moneymaker tom,black russian tom,tumbling tom, it was a bit spontaneous lol Smile
gunners71uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 5th March 2015, 5:03 pm

Ah, Black Russian - my favourite tomato! That's put a smile on my face!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 5th March 2015, 5:08 pm

Pst ... It's March now.

Black Russian are good, my father likes them too. I grew a black plum type from Ukraine once too, they made quite a lovely coloured passata !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2