A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What can I do with ...? Hca_button

What can I do with ...?

5 posters

Go down

What can I do with ...? Empty What can I do with ...?

Post by Chilli-head 17th September 2015, 11:35 am

Ever wondered how you can best dispose of something ? Or what will happen to it when you put it in the recycling bin ?

Find out at Recycle Now

It is nice to see reuse options like Freecycle etc listed before recycling.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

What can I do with ...? Empty Re: What can I do with ...?

Post by freebird 17th September 2015, 6:14 pm

Thanks for that, CH. Looks as if it will be useful. I have an item that I would dearly like to get rid of but isn't specifically listed - a fur coat. It was never mine, and probably vintage, but charity shops won't take real fur. Loathe to just throw it away, but worried that selling will attract animal rights. Any ideas?
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 17th September 2015, 8:32 pm

Fur coat is a difficult one, the only place I can think of is somewhere that has theatrical costumes. They might want something authentic. The strangest things I have had to dispose of were 2 human skulls. I had them when I was teaching (I got them from someone who imported bones to make models for medical schools). For obvious reasons I couldn't throw them away or bury them. Amazingly I met someone who had a hobby ordinary and was delighted to take ownership of one. Then a work colleague told me that his daughter, who was studying dentistry, was looking for one.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 17th September 2015, 9:31 pm

freebird wrote:Thanks for that, CH. Looks as if it will be useful. I have an item that I would dearly like to get rid of but isn't specifically listed - a fur coat. It was never mine, and probably vintage, but charity shops won't take real fur. Loathe to just throw it away, but worried that selling will attract animal rights. Any ideas?
Stick it on eBay or similar, and to he'll with the activists: you needn't say where you live until it's paid for.
I have a fur coat also. Not decided what to do with it either... Think mine is beaver. What's yours?
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 17th September 2015, 9:38 pm

A challenge that they fail on: what to do with empty wine box bags?
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 17th September 2015, 10:00 pm

Where it says hobby ordinary in my previous post it should say hobby ossiary. Flippin' autocorrect.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 18th September 2015, 12:19 pm

A secondary school with a good drama department might take the fur coat.

The only thing I know about  the bags from wine boxes is that you can inflate them and use them as little pillows if you are a car passenger. This isn't going to use many wine box bags, but it's a start!

I must look up this site and see what they suggest about audio cassettes. I know at one time you could send them to a firm who was recycle them, but it was very expensive to do so, and the sender had to pay not only for the postage but also to actually have them recycled.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 18th September 2015, 12:35 pm

the sender had to pay not only for the postage but also to actually have them recycled.

That is so annoying. By law we have to correctly dispose of our silage wrap. Mostly the collectors take it for recycling but of course we have to pay to have it taken away & it's not cheap. It would be nice if we at could at least have a discount on the purchase of items made from recycled wrap.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th September 2015, 1:10 pm

Dandelion wrote:
The only thing I know about  the bags from wine boxes is that you can inflate them and use them as little pillows if you are a car passenger. This isn't going to use many wine box bags, but it's a start!
Yes ! I remember Jilly Goulden on BBC Food and Drink demonstrating.  

I must look up this site and see what they suggest about audio cassettes. I know at one time you could send them to a firm who was recycle them, but it was very expensive to do so, and the sender had to pay not only for the postage but also to actually have them recycled.
I have seen a shopping bag made by crochet, I think, from cassette tape.  I think that is perhaps going a bit far, it has quite a good tensile strength though. I don't know if you could fashion some sort of streamers to scare birds off the veg plot ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 18th September 2015, 1:42 pm

Dandelion wrote:I must look up this site and see what they suggest about audio cassettes...
There was a bit about that on the wireless not so long back. I forget what they suggested, apart from crochet.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th September 2015, 2:07 pm

Cassette tapes, wireless - gosh we must sound so ancient.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 5th July 2020, 9:11 pm

What can I do with ... ? is a recurring question at the moment. With the tidy tip still requiring you to book a time slot and still probably have to queue, I've not been going there. All the bottle banks are full - one in the car park of the hall down in town can still just about be seen through the piles of bottles. I drove around and found three sets, all full, so the bottles are back in the garage for now. Except for some of the nicer clear bottles I've saved for mead, and jars for jam making.

Other things I've been more successful with. We had lots of corrugated cardboard in the garage, all added to compost heaps here or at the lotty. Lots of paper packaging from some terracotta pots I ordered for Mrs C-H for her birthday, and various other stuff, I decided for the fun of it to turn into paper logs. My family bought me one of those paper log makers years ago, and it has been sitting unused in the garage ever since - now I know people say it is a lot of bother, they take ages to dry, don't burn brilliantly, make a lot of ash, etc etc, but at least I can see for myself now, and it gets rid of the rubbish.

The other thing I have to get rid of is metal waste - that will have to wait until the tip queue subsides.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 5th July 2020, 10:42 pm

We're fortunate to have pretty decent recycling collections here every fortnight, so we can get rid of glass and cardboard. But we currently have a small shed in the garden which is unusable as it is stuffed full of wood (not the burnable kind...) which needs to go to the tip, and have a healthy amount of metal as well. There is supposed to be an announcement next week about the local tip re-opening soon: it will be by appointment. I would much rather make an appointment for the tip than the hairdresser!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum