A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

Seed swap anyone? Hca_button

Seed swap anyone?

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Seed swap anyone? Empty Seed swap anyone?

Post by Dandelion 24th January 2016, 5:09 pm

Is anyone interested in a seed swap this year?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Seed swap anyone? Empty Re: Seed swap anyone?

Post by Chilli-head 25th January 2016, 9:43 am

Well, I would be up for one if we have enough interest. I got some good new stuff from last years - Red cabbage Kalibos and the Amish Gold tomatoes both performed outstandingly.

One thought; I wonder if there is any scope in allowing "hints". I get a fair bit of stuff from the likes of Seeds of Italy that come in big packets, which would be better shared than half wasted. Having an idea what is worth passing on might help ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 25th January 2016, 10:32 am

I'm up for a seed swap if I can be cheeky and request some Mr Fearns. Mine just went mouldy with the incessant rain.
As for hints, I tend to pick varieties out of the seed swap that I haven't tried before. With big seeds like courgette I take a couple of seeds out and leave the rest of the packet. I'll be in the market for trying some peppers this year - not hot chillies!
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 25th January 2016, 11:05 am

Ploshkin wrote:I I'll be in the market for trying some peppers this year - not hot chillies!

No hot chillies ? How can that be ?

I ordered a few things from Nicky's nursery last night, and a packet of Habanero Red Savina slipped into my basket. My chilli heat threshold is getting back to normal after having dropped off for a while whilst C-H Jnr was young. These lost their title of hottest chilli back in 2006 to the likes of Bhut Jolokia, but are none the less serious. But my, they are much nicer in flavour. A fruity heat; I once made a Carrot, apricot and habanero soup with these, and it was delicious, though nobody else was willing to eat it.

This is a case in point; I often chuck in some chilli seeds, does anyone else grow chillies ?
I do have some sweet peppers too.

I'll be on the lookout for the unusual vegetables, but also herbs and maybe even flowers of a Mediterranean sort for the new planting sheme of the bits of garden that will be wrecked by building works. If we ever get going with them, that is.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 26th January 2016, 10:21 pm

OK, I'll get the seeds sorted out and packed up over the weekend - will take out anything which is well past its sell-by date! Will put in some Mr Fearn's, Ploshkin!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 27th January 2016, 8:34 am

I think I'll pass on it this year, Dandelion. I'm hoping to grow a little, but probably have enough seed to be going on with.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 27th January 2016, 9:29 pm

No problem FB. If anyone wants to pass the seeds around at work or among neighbours and friends when the packet arrives, all well and good. The more people who swap seeds, the more variety there'll be!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 30th January 2016, 11:13 am

The seed pack has left en route for Ploshkin. I have weeded out any old seeds - there is nothing older than 'sow by 2014', and most are much more recent than this. (I did keep quite a few small packets of heritage tomatoes, which were older, and will try my luck with getting them to germinate.) I have also included more flowers this year.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 30th January 2016, 1:30 pm

Thank you Dandelion - receivng the seed swap envelope is the harbinger of spring. I'm going to sow some Amsterdam Forcing carrots in the polytunnel this weekend just so I can say that I sowed some seeds in January - a first for me.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 30th January 2016, 7:45 pm

The temperatures are so up and down at the moment - it's worth having a go! I've just sowed some lettuce seed in the greenhouse - it's a variety I found in the seed swap pack, which can be sown under cover from January, so we'll see...!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 2nd February 2016, 1:39 pm

Seed swap package has arrived, thank you Dandelion. I will have a rootle this afternoon. Who's next on the list? If it's Chilli Head I still have his address from last time.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 2nd February 2016, 8:01 pm

Thanks - on to Chilli after you've had time for a good rootle!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 4th February 2016, 11:38 am

I've sent the seed swap package on to Chilli Head - heading east as we speak

I'm going to put some aubergine & pepper seeds in the propagator now. May be a bit optimistic but I'm going to grow them on under a light once they have germinated. My growing season and light availability is usually insufficient, apart from 2006, the last good summer we had, when I managed to grow both. So, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I can always sow some more if it doesn't work.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 5th February 2016, 12:07 pm

I think that I've used my work address for this before, so the snag is that I'm still off sick ! Nasty bug this; the daytime is not so bad, but the night time brings a temperature, cough and headache make sleep impossible. I really hope to be back on Monday though, so should get the parcel then.

Are you ok for pepper seeds Ploshkin ? I bought some fresh Giallo d'Asti this year from Seeds of Italy, so there are plenty. I would have put some in if the packet were going the other way, if you'd like some give me a shout.

It's still a tad early for peppers and tomatoes for me, but I don't normally use growlights. End of Feb is good here, earlier and they get leggy. Interesting to hear how you do with the lights; I hope the local constabulary don't start taking an interest in your glowing polytunnel Laughing
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 5th February 2016, 12:56 pm

I did send to your work address CH - it will be an incentive for you to get better. I've got 3 varieties of sweet pepper sown Llipstick and Kaibi from Real Seeds and Romaine from the swap) and one NOT TOO HOT chilli (Palivec from Real Seeds).

I've never used lights before but it's probably the only way I'm going to get anything growing early to be able to benefit from the polytunnel. I haven't got an electricity supply to the pt as it is way off in a field so am doing the first stage in the shed / greenhouse. I don't know about the constabulary but I'm sure we've been on the Security Services' radar before when Mr P used to make bio-diesel & bought bulk methanol at the same time as nitrogen (which was for use on the fields). I'm always amused when I buy 'growing' stuff online & they assure you that it comes in discreet packaging.

I've just got a 60cm T50 propagation light which should sit happily over 10 or a dozen pots. If they don't look as if they are doing well I will have time to make another sowing. I'm not too bothered about getting toms going too early as the growing season is usually ok for them - apart from last year when I had nothing until the end of August then a glut in October - but every last one ripened.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 5th February 2016, 4:22 pm

Chilli-head wrote:
It's still a tad early for peppers and tomatoes for me, but I don't normally use growlights. End of Feb is good here, earlier and they get leggy.  Interesting to hear how you do with the lights; I hope the local constabulary don't start taking an interest in your glowing polytunnel Laughing

Ha ha - I've been trying to get hold of some very specific sized square flower pots, and have found some firms who use Amazon helpful. For some reason, these pots I want seem a firm favourite with hydroponic firms: the businesses helpfully say that they will mail the parcel without any incriminating labels on!! (I don't think they used the word 'incriminating'; the wording was something like 'no identifying labels on the packaging')
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 5th February 2016, 5:43 pm

Dandelion wrote:For some reason, these pots I want seem a firm favourite with hydroponic firms: the businesses helpfully say that they will mail the parcel without any incriminating labels on!! (I don't think they used the word 'incriminating'; the wording was something like 'no identifying labels on the packaging')

Ahh.  Those would be #PlantPots Wink
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 5th February 2016, 10:22 pm

Are they notorious then?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 6th February 2016, 10:45 am

[Imagine Ronnie Barker's voice]
No - not hashtag-PlantPots. Hash PlantPots. Plant pots for ...

Sorry,  seemed funny to me Very Happy
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 6th February 2016, 4:08 pm

Very Happy
When I was at art college, one of my friend had a vacancy in the house she shared, and was vetting possible people to rent the room. The girl who was successful asked if she could bring her pot-plants, and my friend agreed, wondering why she needed permission to bring her spider plants etc. You're all one step ahead...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 9th February 2016, 6:29 pm

The seed parcel landed with me yesterday, I've had a quick look but need to spend more time. A few good finds already.

Am I the end of the line ?

Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 9th February 2016, 9:04 pm

I think you are, unless anyone else wants to make a late bid? (Ha ha - I bet you've been searching the parcel for some antique broccoli seeds, CH??)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 10th February 2016, 11:09 am

No antiques spotted this year DL. Mind you, the out of date red cabbage (Kalibos) I got from last year's swap were one of my most sucessful crops. Great big heads - far more than 3 people really needed !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 15th February 2016, 11:14 am

I've had a good rummage now, and the parcel is ready to go on its way. Is it back to you DL ?

Found some quite useful stuff in there this year. Thanks to DL for organising. I'll hopefully be able to report back on some successes !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 15th February 2016, 3:07 pm

Yes please - back to me (do you need me to PM the address?) Am looking forward to having a browse myself!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next