A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Baby mice Hca_button

Baby mice

4 posters

Go down

Baby mice Empty Baby mice

Post by freebird 29th August 2016, 1:10 pm

Oh oh oh. I was down in the wilderness that is supposed to be my vegetable garden, enjoying watching my robin helper. A movement caught my eye. Had to peer closely then realised I was looking at a baby mouse, eyes still shut, blundering about. The more I watched,  the more I saw - six in total, all as blind as each other.

So hard. Don't want to encourage mice, but couldn't bring myself to 'deal' with them either. Have left them to take their chance.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Baby mice Empty Re: Baby mice

Post by Ploshkin 29th August 2016, 9:02 pm

It seems strange that they were visible, you would expect them to be underground. Do you think something had unearthed them?
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 30th August 2016, 4:04 pm

I had a slightly similar dilemma - we have mice in the shed from time to time (the family who lived next door when we first came had an aviary, and there was bird seed all over the place, so I think this established the mice. I try to be clean and tidy with chicken feed, and it's kept in a dustbin, but the mice seem to be thriving!) I don't really like using poison, partly because it wouldn't be great for the hens to pick it up, but also because in my experience the mice tend to die somewhere inaccessible, leaving a horrible smell. I have a few of those snap-shut traps, which do the job quickly and hopefully painlessly, but I picked up one of the traps which seemed to have shut by itself the other day. However when I looked closely, there was a bright-eyed little mouse crouching in the middle of the trap with its tail caught by the jaws of the trap. I didn't have the heart to kill it, and let it go as far away from the house as I could (although opening the jaws of the trap, and releasing it without it running up my arm wasn't easy!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 30th August 2016, 4:10 pm

[img]Baby mice Trap10[/img]
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 30th August 2016, 4:12 pm

These are the traps I use - you can see that there's enough room for a mouse to curl up inside it when it's shut (although it's only happened once!) On the whole this style is efficient and also easy to empty (I'm not selling them, honest!!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 30th August 2016, 4:29 pm

Are they supposed to catch the mouse alive, or dead ? I was told that catching them alive is a problem because you have to take them a long way if they aren't to return, and some judge that as cruel in itself Rolling Eyes

Outdoors, I adopt a relaxed approach to mice. The various neightbours' cats will probably get them fairly soon, heaven knows there are enough of them (actually the cats are far more trouble than the mice !). Indoors, garage, shed etc, they are another matter. I have an all-metal version of the classic "little nipper" mouse trap, and it does its job quite effectively. Despite a few recommendations for peanut butter, cheese still seems to work best for me. Because it spikes on the trap fairly firmly, it can't be got without the trap triggering.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 30th August 2016, 9:26 pm

These traps usually break their necks - we used to have a 'humane' mouse trap in a previous house, but when we caught a pygmy shrew in it while we were all out of the house, and the shrew died in the trap anyway (and was difficult to remove) I decided that killing something slowly - even if you didn't mean to - was unnecessarily cruel.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 30th August 2016, 9:32 pm

I can't remember if I mentioned another mouse story before (we don't have lots of mice, honestly...) - a few years ago my youngest daughter discovered that a mouse had somehow got into the log burner and was climbing around the paper and wood which had been left in their for a fire later on. the problem was that oldest daughter is terrified of mice so we had to remove it without her knowing. The two of us managed it eventually using a waste paper basket to catch it as it shot out of the log burner. We put it into a plastic box with a lid and drove to a churchyard over five miles away and let it free. However good the homing instincts of mice are I doubt if it found its way back (unless it was the acrobat mouse who curled itself up inside the trap this week!!!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down