A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

Big Dreams Small Spaces Hca_button

Big Dreams Small Spaces

5 posters

Go down

Big Dreams Small Spaces Empty Big Dreams Small Spaces

Post by Chilli-head 2nd March 2017, 4:07 pm

I was catching up on this episode of Monty Don's Big Dreams Small Spaces series last night. One of the projects was introduced as being about providing a vegetable garden for people who were suffering illness, great so far.

But as the programme progressed I found myself getting irritated. [I should confess I had had a few glasses of wine by this point after a hard day at work, so forgive me if I'm a bit harsh]. There was talk of restoring derelict woodland, or their plan to build a productive terraced allotment on a treacherously steep slope in the middle of a wooded wasteland. When we see the site, there is woodland, with a lot of ivy. Restoring it seemed to involve cutting down trees and clearing the ivy (which is a great plant for all manner of creatures), and constructinmg a terraced garden using a digger. The only things that actually looked derelict to me was the ugly corrugated iron building and metal chain link fence that was retained ! In fact the building - I assume it was theirs - they made IMHO look much worse by parrtially and poorly painting it. The resulting garden still looked too shady for very sucessful veg growing to me.

Lovely idea helping people through gardening therapy, but why there ? Why not pick a truly derelict site to begin with rather than grubbing up woodland. Hmm.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Big Dreams Small Spaces Empty Re: Big Dreams Small Spaces

Post by Dandelion 2nd March 2017, 8:01 pm

I didn't see the episode you mentioned, but watched last week when a young homeowner wanted to transform her back garden, and a man who had been ill and had been homeless and jobless was transforming an overgrown allotment. It was the first time I'd seen the programme - in this series, presumably a lot of the ideas and impetus comes from the people who own the gardens/plots while Monty is there in more of an advisory role. I wonder how frustrated he became while making the series? He gives advice but doesn't really affect the final design.
The programme you describe sounds very frustrating - it sounds as if it would have been better to have left the site as woodland for people who have been ill to sit in, and maybe do some maintenance. It's not going to be much of a morale booster if the veg fail to thrive!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 3rd March 2017, 4:03 pm

I've only seen one or two of these. They were fairly sensible - one was a tiny back yard with high walls in London and the other a pocket handkerchief garden of a new build with, of course, no decent soil.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 5th March 2017, 2:47 pm

I watch this when I remember. A recent one had a woman with a small garden being advised by MD to put a large tree in the middle of it. Sensibly, and with some help from the garden centre chap, she chose a crab apple. Many of MD's designs and ideas are good but caution is needed when he suggests things like this. Last year he suggested planting the native iris in a garden pond (forgive me if I've grumbled about this before) a ridiculous suggestion as I know to my cost having tried it once myself. Surely he must know how rampant they are.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 5th March 2017, 4:49 pm

Hah ha ! One of the biggest problems of gardening is that most plants will either not like your conditions and present a continual challenge to keep them alive, or they love your garden and want to take over. Your challenge is to find the few plants between those extremes. The absolutely best advice I've been given is to look what is growing well in your neighbours garden (open gardens days are great for this sort of espionage). You don't need to plant exactly those plants, but they will give a good understanding of the conditions you have.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 5th March 2017, 7:04 pm

I think they are mainly concerned with what looks good for tv regardless of the practicality or suitability. It's very rare that you see a programme revisiting these projects.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 6th March 2017, 11:51 am

Ploshkin wrote:I think they are mainly concerned with what looks good for tv regardless of the practicality or suitability.  

That's TV in general. A good story beats good sense and facts any day.

But back to Monty Don's programme. I do quite like him as a presenter, and I think he does have the right sort of ideas - he did stress the need to get some light in a few times. Can't really blame him for the odd choice of site to begin with. The other story on the same programme was a couple building a ruin / folly of sorts; when the builder had finished Monty was attacking the rather too neat brickwork with a hammer and chisel to make crevices for plants; spot on, it looked far too neat to be convincing as a ruin !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 7th March 2017, 8:36 am

I've seen previous series of this, so was glad you mentioned it CH. Have been catching up on the available episodes.

The programme you first mentioned, with the 'derelict' woodland - it would have been interesting to have a wider view of the entire space. Whilst I generally agree with your thoughts, the area cultivated looked to me to be a small piece of something much larger, so maybe the impact on wildlife wouldn't have been so great.

Overall though, with this series, I've noticed people's schemes becoming more outlandish than previously - a distinct element of 'Well I'm going to prove it can be done' despite having the advice and mentoring of an experienced, well-respected gardener.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 7th March 2017, 9:57 am

Overall though, with this series, I've noticed people's schemes becoming more outlandish than previously
I wonder if that is the TV production people rather than the people with the garden.  The increasingly outlandish happened to programmes like Bake Off & Sewing Bee.  I think the producers think they need to do it to keep audiences interested but the popularity of these types of programmes at the beginning is that they are ordinary people doing things that we could all realistically do and they therefore inspire and encourage people to have a go themselves.  Unfortunately the programmes quickly move away from this to pure entertainment and lose the relevance to most peoples lives
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down