A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by Chilli-head 19th September 2021, 9:55 am

» The garden in August
by Dandelion 9th August 2021, 10:17 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 2nd August 2021, 12:14 pm

» What's left of the July garden
by FloBear 20th July 2021, 2:12 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 2nd July 2021, 7:14 am

» Artichokes
by Chilli-head 24th June 2021, 2:53 pm

» Heat in the June garden at last !
by Ploshkin 5th June 2021, 7:22 pm

» whats on the menu
by freebird 3rd June 2021, 8:34 pm

» Fresh shoots in May
by Ploshkin 31st May 2021, 9:17 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by FloBear 23rd May 2021, 7:41 pm

» Peak planting in the April garden
by Chilli-head 4th May 2021, 8:26 am

» The gardener's yearbook
by Chilli-head 6th April 2021, 11:10 am

» Springing into action in the March garden
by Chilli-head 27th March 2021, 6:31 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by FloBear 11th March 2021, 7:17 pm

» A late start to the February garden
by Florence 1st March 2021, 12:43 pm

» Plant labels
by Dandelion 27th February 2021, 9:38 pm

» When we come out of the other side of this ...
by Florence 24th February 2021, 10:14 am

» My anti virus doesn't like this forum
by Florence 22nd February 2021, 2:29 pm

» The January quagmire
by freebird 27th January 2021, 2:47 pm

» The Christmas workshop
by Chilli-head 29th December 2020, 12:03 pm

Statistics
We have 261 registered users
The newest registered user is Steve

Our users have posted a total of 47634 messages in 2398 subjects
Donate to our chosen Charity
What are you harvesting today? - Page 21 Kiva10
Homemade Life forum supports Kiva micro-loans: supporting people looking to create a better future for themselves, their families and their communities. You can donate here
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 21 Hca_button

HML on FaceBook

What are you harvesting today?

+3
Chilli-head
freebird
FloBear
7 posters

Page 21 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Go down

default Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Chilli-head 19th November 2020, 4:31 pm

Bits and bobs from various places - Real Seeds, Seeds of Italy, Premier Seeds Direct, Nicky's Nursery. Makes postage expensive !

Mostly mentioned in this thread:

https://handmadelife.forumotion.net/t576-seed-banks-and-reliable-suppliers

Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 19th November 2020, 8:38 pm

First picking of winter salad leaves today. I could have started two weeks ago, but awful weather and other things stopped me getting around to it. A large mixing bowl full is now sitting on the kitchen table awaiting washing: lettuce, mizuna, claytonia, spinach, endive, rocket and lambs lettuce. Hooray, no more bought salad leaves.
freebird
freebird

Dandelion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 16th December 2020, 10:26 am

I found some tomatoes in the greenhouse which I had forgotten about - I had left them in case they ripened, but hadn't paid them any attention, so it did give a sense of achievement to be eating tomatoes from the (unheated) greenhouse in December. They were Rio Grande plum tomatoes - they had survived the frosts and damp fogs we had had for a fortnight or so - the tomatoes were sweet but curiously crisp! It's amazing to think that in about a month's time I will be thinking about sowing an early variety for next season!

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 16th December 2020, 11:13 am

I'm not harvesting tomatoes, but before I ditched my old plants, I pulled off some side shoots. I rooted them in water, and now they are in pots in the conservatory. One even has some flowers! I am going to see if they will give me an early start next season , in addition to the seeds I will sow. If they grow too big in the conservatory, I can always take side shoot cuttings and start the process again.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 16th December 2020, 3:15 pm

Let us know how you get on - I've never thought of taking cuttings.

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 16th December 2020, 4:28 pm

Good to see some experimentation going on Very Happy

I am interested in overwinter salads and other things. I have never had much luck in my greenhouse - it gets cold and very damp, so I get lots of mould. Overwintering chillies is hit and miss, and sometimes results in overwintering aphids too. Is your greenhouse drier than mine I wonder; you are definitely not in a drier part of the country than me !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 17th December 2020, 3:34 pm

Most winter salads you don't, strictly speaking, need to protect at all. I usually grow them outside in cold frames. Can you not ventilate your greenhouse, CH? The protection from the worst of the elements will be sufficient - they don't need cossetting. Some form of protection ensures that the plants keep growing, albeit very slowly.

This year I have winter hardy lettuce, lambs lettuce, claytonia, winter hardy spinach, mizuna, rocket, and endive. The land cress didn't germinate (very old seed) so I've bought new for next season.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 19th December 2020, 9:53 pm

I think ventilation is part of the problem. I have just one rokf vent, which has an autovent thingy that opens when hot, so not at all in winter. At times I've wedged it open a little. But tge greenhouse is also used for overwintering things that resent being too cold. Still, my enthusiasm for salads is at a bit of a low in winter.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 20th December 2020, 5:33 pm

If vegetables are more scarce after Brexit, I'm hoping I won't need to put barbed wire around the six little spring cabbages I have in one of the raised beds to protect them from burglars! I will definitely experiment with growing some salad crops on windowsills or in the greenhouse, depending on how cold the weather is.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 20th December 2020, 8:28 pm

Well we are stuffed now. The much predicted queues on the M2, and at this rate no flights to/from the rest of Europe who understandably don't want our germs. Just as domestic veg production hits the low season.

But look on the bright side, a bumper brussel sprout crop this year vom
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 20th December 2020, 10:03 pm

Don't you like brussels, Chilli?

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 20th December 2020, 10:29 pm

Actually, I'm not a great fan of pretty much everything in the main course of a traditional Christmas dinner. I'm not that excited by simple roasts and IMHO the turkey is a bit bland prepared that way. Sprouts are a bit sulphurous. I like the roast potatoes and stuffing the best I think. And of course, the pudding dribble

Hopefully the shops won't be too depleted. But we should be getting a turkey from the school farm again. Home grown veg are thin on the ground - the odd red cabbage and some kale left at the lotty.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 21st December 2020, 8:32 am

...and you have to brave the mud to dig anything! I have two celeriac, two large leeks and some beetroot left in the ground, ahem, mud!

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 24th December 2020, 6:34 pm

From the allotment today, a swede, two parsnips, the first of the purple sprouting and a small Romanesco cauliflower. Mixed salad leaves from the garden.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 3rd February 2021, 10:42 pm

Chillies ! From a basket of fire plant overwintering in the conservatory. The red fruit against green foliage look quite festive for Christmas, and mostly dry on the plant if left.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

freebird likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 19th February 2021, 5:55 pm

Parsnips. Lots of them. I have found they freeze well, so decided to dig up most of what is on the allotment. That half of the plot is waiting for a mulch, so I can get that on a bit sooner.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 19th February 2021, 6:22 pm

I've never been able to grow parsnips without canker here.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence 28th February 2021, 4:29 pm

Still have kale and purple sprouting broccoli - grown at the request of the allotment helping minions. Keeps them happy.
Florence
Florence

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 22nd March 2021, 9:47 am

First rhubarb of the season picked yesterday evening and eaten for pud.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 22nd March 2021, 7:49 pm

Ooh, lovely. I was going to pick a few stalks tonight but didn't have time to cook it so I didn't. I will aim for rhubarb crumble tomorrow.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 26th March 2021, 9:20 am

Rhubarb is ready here too. I will pick some later mmmm.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence 26th March 2021, 10:25 am

I'm keeping the rhubarb secret for another few days. Other than that I have a bare allotment just waiting to be planted up. The high winds did for the PSB.
Florence
Florence

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 26th March 2021, 12:01 pm

It would be very useful to pick some rhubarb as it is in the way! I've had to make a homemade barricade to keep the hens safe when they're allowed out next week (to keep them out from under our large tree, which does get a lot of bird poo under it), and I'm having to wait for our local poultry place to get some proper chicken fencing in. So I've constructed a fence which Heath Robinson would be proud of while I'm waiting, which involves having to squeeze past the rhubarb between the greenhouse and the raised bed.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 1st May 2021, 9:25 pm

My very first asparagus spear, the crowns being newly planted when we moved here. Just the one - steamed, and shared between the two of us with the rest of our dinner.

In London I would have been harvesting for at least a couple of weeks already. However, I have a couple of redundant, homemade (what else!) hoop frames, which will be converted into mini polytunnels for winter and next year's emerging growth.

Eta - oh and summer lettuce leaves. For the first time ever, I have managed a virtually seamless transition from picking winter salad leaves to summer leaves. Usually, I have a gap of several weeks. But the plants put in with the broad beans in a greenhouse planter have done me proud, the cold frame ones not too far behind, and those under fleece in the raised bed just coming good.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 2nd May 2021, 3:31 pm

I bet that shared asparagus tasted good!

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 2nd May 2021, 7:41 pm

It did, Dandelion, though I hadn't expected it to. The earliest spears can be bitter, especially when the weather has been cold.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum