A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion Yesterday at 6:41 pm

» The garden in August
by Dandelion 9th August 2021, 10:17 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 2nd August 2021, 12:14 pm

» What's left of the July garden
by FloBear 20th July 2021, 2:12 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 2nd July 2021, 7:14 am

» Artichokes
by Chilli-head 24th June 2021, 2:53 pm

» Heat in the June garden at last !
by Ploshkin 5th June 2021, 7:22 pm

» whats on the menu
by freebird 3rd June 2021, 8:34 pm

» Fresh shoots in May
by Ploshkin 31st May 2021, 9:17 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by FloBear 23rd May 2021, 7:41 pm

» Peak planting in the April garden
by Chilli-head 4th May 2021, 8:26 am

» The gardener's yearbook
by Chilli-head 6th April 2021, 11:10 am

» Springing into action in the March garden
by Chilli-head 27th March 2021, 6:31 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by FloBear 11th March 2021, 7:17 pm

» A late start to the February garden
by Florence 1st March 2021, 12:43 pm

» Plant labels
by Dandelion 27th February 2021, 9:38 pm

» When we come out of the other side of this ...
by Florence 24th February 2021, 10:14 am

» My anti virus doesn't like this forum
by Florence 22nd February 2021, 2:29 pm

» The January quagmire
by freebird 27th January 2021, 2:47 pm

» The Christmas workshop
by Chilli-head 29th December 2020, 12:03 pm

Statistics
We have 261 registered users
The newest registered user is Steve

Our users have posted a total of 47631 messages in 2398 subjects
Donate to our chosen Charity
What are you harvesting today? - Page 24 Kiva10
Homemade Life forum supports Kiva micro-loans: supporting people looking to create a better future for themselves, their families and their communities. You can donate here
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 24 Hca_button

HML on FaceBook

What are you harvesting today?

+3
Chilli-head
freebird
FloBear
7 posters

Page 24 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Go down

default Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by freebird 18th July 2021, 12:35 pm

I've been picking ripe tomatoes for about 4 weeks now, thanks to my overwintered plants initially. However, they're not coming in great quantities - just a couple most days now.

Nice lot of broad beans from the allotment last night, and some peas which we will have with dinner tonight. Also courgettes from the lottie. French beans from the garden, strawberries, raspberries, first gooseberries and first blueberries.

freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 19th July 2021, 10:15 am

Oh. I've put it on the July garden fred What are you harvesting today? - Page 24 1f615
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 19th July 2021, 1:30 pm

Please remind me not to put 10 Mr Fearns seeds in the polytunnel next year! I've picked about 5 lbs of beans so far and they're not slowing down.
I picked 18 gooseberries which is 15 more than I thought there were. They were little cuttings last year that I am growing as cordons.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 20th July 2021, 11:06 am

What are you harvesting today? - Page 24 P1020710

Picking peas on a cloudless morning - something to remember when it's cold and grey in the winter!

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

freebird, Ploshkin and FloBear like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 22nd July 2021, 1:15 pm

Happy days!
What are you harvesting today? - Page 24 20210710
freebird
freebird

Dandelion and FloBear like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 22nd July 2021, 4:48 pm

Gosh, Freebird, you must have more sun than me. My blueberries aren't even thinking about changing colour and the tomatoes are really slow. I haven't had enough for a salad yet.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence 22nd July 2021, 7:00 pm

Courgettes anyone? Not sure how much more they will do as the weather seems to have knocked them back with mildew and heat. Think that we've defeated the raspberries at last - taken 2 households. Pease eaten or frozen and broad beans well on the way to the same. About to settle down to getting brassicas and leeks in place if the heat/brazen sun will allow.
Florence
Florence

Dandelion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 22nd July 2021, 11:26 pm

Ploshkin wrote:Gosh, Freebird, you must have more sun than me.  My blueberries aren't even thinking about changing colour and the tomatoes are really slow.  I haven't had enough for a salad yet.

Not only does the garden get sun virtually all day, it is south-sloping too. I think both those factors go a considerable way to mitigating the altitude disadvantages.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 4th August 2021, 8:49 am

I had my first blueberries - thanks to the fruit cage I didn't have to compete with the birds for them Ditto the blackcurrants. I filled a 2 litre container with those. The bush was a self seeded one from my huge bush that I had to dig up to make space for the cage. I also had a handful of redcurrants - that one is still a twig.
First, lovely, sweet cob of sweetcorn from the tunnel too.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence 4th August 2021, 9:42 am

I've just been out and cleared a patch of very pretty purple poppies - have collected enough seeds for 2 gardens so cleared the space of the died back stems.
Florence
Florence

Dandelion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 6th August 2021, 10:30 pm

The tomatoes are getting going - Golden Sunrise isn't too bad after some early blossom end rot, Sweet Millions are tasty (but there aren't really enough to justify calling them millions!!). Those are in the greenhouse. I'm watching the outdoor toms like a hawk for blight - I've picked off a few suspect fruits and leaves: the rest look healthy enough but they will get a daily inspection.

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence 7th August 2021, 9:10 am

Rainwater at the moment.
Florence
Florence

freebird likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 7th August 2021, 2:52 pm

Well I did manage to find a cabbage, some broccoli and a few potatoes at the allotment.

Could do with a bit of rain here to water in a few things. I planted out my leek seedlings; they look a bit pathetic but may as well have a chance, the space isn't needed for anything else.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th August 2021, 3:19 pm

Please have some of our rain - you're very welcome!

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence 7th August 2021, 5:08 pm

It hasn't been as heavy as forecast so will take your kind offer Dandelion. We have Kielder Reservoir up top of county but the local water authority is still asking us to reduce our water use as consumption is up 25% due to holidays at home (and the tourists coming to Northumberland).
Florence
Florence

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 9th August 2021, 10:21 pm

I haven't had any ripe tomatoes for several days. Tonight I picked one measly Sungold.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 10th August 2021, 8:26 am

No shortage of tomatoes here, though a fair bit of blossom end rot on Rose de Berne. I've found that another yellow tomato, Honeybee, performs better than Sungold - first to ripen, sets lots of fruit and slightly bigger tomatoes that just keep coming. Sungold has been a bit patchy, though the fruits are sweeter than Honeybee.

Cucumbers stopped for a while, but another three developing now. Seem to have been waiting an age for chillies to ripen. There will be lots, once they get going. Have harvested one so far.

Mr Fearns giving an odd couple of beans most days. Still picking blueberries - the earliest bush, Patriot, is pretty much finished, and about halfway through the next (forget the name .... something traube?), but barely started on Bluecrop. And the autumn raspberries just, only just, starting - mostly still flower buds yet to open.

Finally, some finger carrots which are delicious, and red spring onions.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 10th August 2021, 9:03 am

I have one called Honeycomb which is supposed to be better than Sungold. It didn't like the very hot weather and very little fruit set but better when it cooled down a bit. I've got huge crops on the Ailsa Craig but they just won't ripen. Same with the melons. I've got loads but nothing ripening.
Mice have been picking off my green chillies - I've had 2 in traps.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 15th August 2021, 4:28 pm

Similar here - the autumn rasps are just beginning, the tomatoes in the greenhouse are pretty measly while the outdoor ones are getting blight before they can ripen (but with dogged determination I just keep removing the blighty ones in the hope that we will eventually get something worth eating!). Kew Blue climbing French beans are doing very well - we're beginning to look like beans! (Mr D doesn't know that the runner beans are just getting underway, and there are some late planted Mr Fearns to see us through the early autumn. Hope he doesn't get fed up and leave home!!)

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 15th August 2021, 4:29 pm

Thanks for the heads-up about Honeybee tomatoes CH - I'll look those ones up. I've found Golden Sunrise to be quite unreliable.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 15th August 2021, 8:03 pm

I don't think that was me. But I'm not greatly impressed with sungold - I prefer yellow perfection. I don't like them too sweet, need the acid to balance too.

My tomato glut is over, and I'm now waiting for more to ripen. Bu we did have a BBQ tonight with homegrown padron peppers, Hungarian wax, courgettes and Anya potatoes. And a whole cajun spiced chicken - not homegrown !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 29th August 2021, 4:07 pm

Dandelion wrote:Thanks for the heads-up about Honeybee tomatoes CH  - I'll look those ones up. I've found Golden Sunrise to be quite unreliable.

Sorry, no that was Freebird (I think it must have been late at night, and I wasn't concentrating!)

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 29th August 2021, 4:10 pm

[img]What are you harvesting today? - Page 24 Squash10[/img]

A Turk's Turban squash from the garden. I'll be cutting it up in my camp kitchen later to add to roasted Mediterranean vegetables.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence 29th August 2021, 5:25 pm

I'm harvesting plums and compost - well turning the contents of the compost bins which are almost ready to use.
Florence
Florence

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 29th August 2021, 9:56 pm

I spent Saturday afternoon dealing with apples and pears - the damaged ones that would not store. I poached the pear with root ginger and sugar syrup - it smelled divine - then froze it to turn into a pudding sometime.

Also harvesting cabbage, broccoli, courgettes, tomatoes and chillies. Not a lot else though. Raspberries look promising.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 29th August 2021, 10:02 pm

Finished lifting onions, which are drying in the greenhouse. Courgettes from both allotment and garden, autumn carrots from allotment, from the garden blueberries (nearly finished now), blackberries (first ever) loose leaf lettuce, french beans and from the greenhouse chillies (daily) tomatoes and cucumbers.

Looking forward to harvesting sweet corn within the week as it's nearly ripe enough now.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum