A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Dandelion 6th September 2022, 9:21 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

» February garden action !
by Dandelion 24th February 2022, 1:57 pm

» Rising prices
by Dandelion 8th February 2022, 8:50 am

» Preparing for winter
by Ploshkin 7th February 2022, 8:56 pm

» January garden plans
by FloBear 3rd February 2022, 7:49 pm

Statistics
We have 264 registered users
The newest registered user is jzuver

Our users have posted a total of 48023 messages in 2413 subjects
Donate to our chosen Charity
What are you harvesting today? - Page 25 Kiva10
Homemade Life forum supports Kiva micro-loans: supporting people looking to create a better future for themselves, their families and their communities. You can donate here
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 25 Hca_button

HML on FaceBook

What are you harvesting today?

+3
Chilli-head
freebird
FloBear
7 posters

Page 25 of 30 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 30  Next

Go down

default Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by freebird 29th August 2021, 10:02 pm

Finished lifting onions, which are drying in the greenhouse. Courgettes from both allotment and garden, autumn carrots from allotment, from the garden blueberries (nearly finished now), blackberries (first ever) loose leaf lettuce, french beans and from the greenhouse chillies (daily) tomatoes and cucumbers.

Looking forward to harvesting sweet corn within the week as it's nearly ripe enough now.

freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 30th August 2021, 1:41 pm

Chilli-head wrote: Raspberries look promising.

Raspberries looking good here too - one good result from the rain earlier in the summer I suppose. We have an old decrepit workmate at the bottom of the garden for sawing up wood for the stove - the chickens have found out that if they hop on to it, they are much closer to the raspberries!!

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

FloBear likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 9th September 2021, 1:17 pm

I've just started on big, autumn raspberries and have now picked all the blueberries.
I spent Monday and Tuesday extracting 200 lbs of honey from 5 hives leaving the bees plenty for their stores.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 9th September 2021, 4:56 pm

200lb of honey. Oh my. dribble

My raspberries were rather tasty. Apple pie was nice too.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 11th September 2021, 9:03 am

That's an awful lot of jars for the honey!
Lost my blueberries to passing wildlife - I know I'll need a fruit cage - and have picked a few mini cucumbers and tomatoes. The ever-bearer strawberry has gven me a handful every so often and the chilli plant, which has had a few traumas, produced a number of small fruit that I gave to Lulu the parrot as a treat.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 11th September 2021, 9:06 pm

Ploshkin wrote:
I spent Monday and Tuesday extracting 200 lbs of honey from 5 hives leaving the bees plenty for their stores.
Wow!!!

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 11th September 2021, 9:08 pm

What are you harvesting today? - Page 25 Carrot10

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

freebird likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 11th September 2021, 9:11 pm

Carrot salad, made with a purple carrot dug from the garden. We're still without a kitchen, but at least the builders have now started work. The dust in the house is a different colour every day, depending on what they are working on! A carrot salad wasn't too hard to put together, but I can't attempt anything more complicated at the moment.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 12th September 2021, 9:23 am

Gosh, Dandelion, how long are you expecting the work to go on?
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 16th September 2021, 6:41 pm

The insulating and plastering are more or less done (and a very good job they have done too.) They start assembling the kitchen units tomorrow. We got home from a day out yesterday, and found that they had left a cardboard pathway from the kitchen door to the cooker, so I could get there across a very messy plaster-splattered floor!

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

freebird likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 19th September 2021, 9:16 am

Oh my goodness. I do remember from my previous experience that plastering is a very messy job, even in the hands of a professional. Still, onwards and upwards!

We're having all our windows replaced in 10 days' time - a 3 day job. I've found a boarding place for the parrot for 6 days as, apart from the noise and stress, I'm concerned about any chemicals that might be used in the installation.

Oh, just realised this is in the harvesting fred.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence 19th September 2021, 9:25 am

No use harvesting if you don't have a kitchen. Makes life hard. Tomatoes anyone?
Florence
Florence

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 19th September 2021, 9:55 am

FloBear wrote:I do remember from my previous experience that plastering is a very messy job, even in the hands of a professional.

Ha, when I replastered my bathroom ceiling, one of my work ftiends offered the advice "you need a hat". Very true !

I found a few things at the lotty yesterday, red and white cabbage, beetroot, some Greek giant beans already dried on the plant, courgettes, an unwanted marrow Rolling Eyes a bit of broccoli and some raspberries. I've got sweet peppers and chillies ready at home too. I cleaned up my homegrown coriander seed yesterday - curry night tonight Very Happy
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

FloBear likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 26th September 2021, 8:32 pm

Picking some of the rather poor showing of produce today, as a distraction from the quiet emptiness that has descended with C-H jnr off at university.

I picked the remaining apples, pruned the tree a bit and shredded the remains for composting. Picked tomatoes - removed a few plants that had nothing left on to open up the airflow and light. Picked off a few peppers and chillies, and found a lettuce in the garden.

Back in the kitchen, red chicken mole using homegrown garlic, peppers, chilli and the roasted tomatoes. Served with a green salad with the lettuce. Baked apples for afters.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 26th September 2021, 9:54 pm

I've used my first butternut squash, they're always better after storing but I've got at least a dozen in addition to 6 very large Uchiki Kuris. I hope squashes store well this year! My melons are finally ripening, not quite as sweet as they can be but still very tasty. I'm using sweet peppers now and the tomatoes with greenback are going into soup. The one courgette plant is producing more than ever and cucumbers are still coming. Runner beans are good but I seem to be sharing them with something - possibly mice. I'm picking raspberries most days and have had a good pick of wild blackberries. Someone brought me a bucket of lovely apples today so I can make a blackberry and apple pie and perhaps some jam.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 27th September 2021, 1:44 pm

I have one butternut squash, still ripening on the plant. It's not much, but one more than I had last year, so I have established the principle that I can grow it up here in the garden.

In the meantime, the raspberries are huge and fabulous, still picking chillies, though the larger jalapenos and the sweet peppers have been a waste of time. Every fruit has been holed by something, causing them to rot on the plants. Still have a few tomatoes from the greenhouse. Carrots from the allotment were riddled with carrot root fly, but those grown in the garden have been clean. Altitude maybe? The garden is about 150 feet higher than the allotment. The only thing left to harvest on the allotment is parsnips, then it will be time to bag up all the composted manure and bring it home, before we quit the plot for good.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 27th September 2021, 2:13 pm

freebird wrote:still picking chillies, though the larger jalapenos and the sweet peppers have been a waste of time. Every fruit has been holed by something, causing them to rot on the plants.

There are a few pests of chilli plants I have not identified. One of them, whatever it is, does as you describe. I have been blaming the small green caterpillars I sometimes find (which is terminal for them Twisted Evil) Something has turned the leaves of mine into something resembling lace this year, but I don't see any caterpillars. Usually greenfly are a menace, but less so later in the year.

I got a fair few Machu Picchu chillies - a mild capsicum chinense in so far as there is such a thing). Padrons are good, some Ohnivec and Hungarian wax. Oh, and I'm hopeful for Hole Mole, a Mexican type resembling Pasilla, and hopefully suited to smoking.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 27th September 2021, 2:58 pm

Freebird, I have found that I have to grow peppers away from the sides of the polytunnel. It took me a while to realise that the holes were being made by slugs that were reaching the plants from the walls at night. As you say, once there is a hole they just rot. I get really good peppers growing them in the middle of the tunnel - no holes at all.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence 27th September 2021, 3:00 pm

My goodness - that explains why the peppers I have in the middle of the greenhouse do better than those near the walls. Thank you.
Florence
Florence

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 27th September 2021, 5:05 pm

If you grow chillies that are as hot as hell - Capsicum Chinense varieties preferably, nothing eats them. Except birds - they are insensitive to capsaicin, which is advantageous to the chilli to get wider seed dispersal. So don't let the chickens near them. There is one slight disadvantage to this strategy of course ... What are you harvesting today? - Page 25 2922771392
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 28th September 2021, 9:20 am

I just harvested a tiny chilli from the GH yesterday when the plant had all but died. It's the parrot's breakfast treat this morning.
Tomatoes have been ripening and I'd picked a few then the larger plant - which must have been mis-labelled because it wasn't Gardeners Delight - succumbed to blight and I've had to cull it. The other plant, which probably is GD, was looking OK but a few brown blotches starting so I rescued the fruit and ditched the plant. That's it for produce now unless the purple sprouting survives the winter.
In the GH the winter salad leaves are popping up enthusiastically, I don't know what they'll think of the rather wild temp. fluctuations but they're looking happy at the moment.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 8th October 2021, 8:34 pm

There are still a few tomatoes lingering on in the greenhouse: Sweet Millions (from a friend) are still producing a few fruits - Tamina and Tigerella have been the stars in a very lacklustre year for tomatoes.

I planted some Mr Fearns at the end of August - they are producing beans, which is lovely as we've had no cooking facilities to speak of for weeks, so have had to give away and/or compost a lot of veg from the garden. But I can now use the cooker so we're enjoying some late French beans.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 8th October 2021, 9:46 pm

Dandelion wrote:
I planted some Mr Fearns at the end of August - they are producing beans,

What ? Plsnted at the end of August and producing in early October? Either I'm misunderstanding ( possible as I've been on the wine) or that is incredibly quick growth ?

I have a few tomatoes left, but beans were a disastet this year. As was most everything Crying or Very sad
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 8th October 2021, 10:01 pm

Mr Fearns are the bean that just keeps giving. I put 10 in the polytunnel which was far too many and they just got completely beyond my control. So, I took them all out except for 2 that I left to produce seed. I must have left a root or two in because, despite having not been watered for at least 2 months, something has grown and I've had a small supply of lovely, fresh beans in the last couple of weeks.
I've had a good squash harvest this year all unblemished and ripened quite early so I hope they will store well this year. Melons have been disappointing. Despite a good number of large fruit that appeared early on they just refused to ripen. I suspect it was the early very high temperatures like with the greenback on the tomatoes. Two or three later melons were lovely.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 8th October 2021, 10:06 pm

I need some of these beans ..
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 9th October 2021, 8:52 am

Still getting fantastic raspberries - the dryish weather has helped as this time last year they were rotting on the canes. Still some courgettes, though my raised bed is cleared now with a good thick mulch of well-rotted sheep manure from the allotment.

It's been a really difficult year for beans for me. Poor germination of my runners - we eventually had 3 or 4 meals of those in September. The Mr Fearns are definitely to be repeated, though not fantastic crops. I think that is largely down to deciding I wasn't keeping the allotment just before they needing putting in the soil. I had to find space in the garden, and despite a couple of bags of manure hastily dumped on the patch they were in, I think it just wasn't fertile enough for a good harvest.

I think overall, although veg space will be severely restricted in the garden, it will be better concentrating my efforts on just that. Any compost and manure can also be applied much more iiberally over the smaller area.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 30 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 30  Next