A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

The June garden Hca_button

The June garden

5 posters

Go down

The June garden Empty The June garden

Post by Chilli-head 1st June 2020, 7:11 pm

Another month.  My sowing and planting is easing off now, room for a few more peas etc, but mostly done.  Now it's mostly watering, weeding and the first pickings.  

I noticed my blackcurrants just starting to change colour, but more importantly, my prarie fire chillies are starting to pass through orange on their way to red Very Happy

Last edited by Chilli-head on 1st July 2020, 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

The June garden Empty Re: The June garden

Post by freebird 1st June 2020, 9:24 pm

I'm happy to say that the sowing and planting is easing off here too. It was all a bit frantic for a while, with suddenly acquiring the allotment. Hoping to have a window of time in which to complete the site preparation for the intended new greenhouse, before serious veg picking and preserving begins.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 6th June 2020, 3:14 pm

I've just put in a wigwam of climbing beans, a row of dwarf beans, and one of peas. Now home, and a monsoon has started ! Thunderbolts and lightning - glad I'm not still at the lotty ! But at least they will get watered in.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th June 2020, 10:31 pm

You certainly have exciting weather where you live, CH!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 20th June 2020, 9:41 am

A broad bean / bee question.

I bought in some broad bean plants because I wanted an early start. Planted them out in my new garden veg bed, where they seemed to languish rather unhappily. Tbh I was on the point of digging them out and moving them, when they picked up. All the plants have been covered in flower, but now have almost no beans on them.

Is it likely that while they were flowering it was just too cold for pollinators (we had that really late mid-May frost for 5 nights), as the flowers didn't appear damaged by the cold although I had given the plants some protection overnight.

Much later, I sowed a different variety of broad bean and put the plants into a large planter. They have fared somewhat better, with pollinated flowers at least half way up the stems. However, these were flowering at pretty much the same time as the original bean plants, which suggests that bees were out and about. The other difference between the two plantings is that I put a fine net windbreak around the ones in the planter.

Any thoughts on this? Might be one for you, Ploshkin, at least on the bee side.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 21st June 2020, 10:34 am

Even though we had the frosts it wasnt particularly cold in the daytime and bumble bees get out and forage in a much bigger weather window than honey bees.
My broad beans in the polytunnel did really well, there haven't been anything like the usual number of bumbles in there but once in they tend to hang around.
My plum and damson trees had loads of blossom this year and the flowers weren't noticeably damaged by the frost but I haven't got one single fruit so I suspect the frost has some bearing.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 22nd June 2020, 2:47 pm

As an extra to the above, I was talking to one of the other plot holders at the allotments this morning. Her broad beans were just like mine - they'd had loads of flower and almost no beans. The allotments are probably about 100 feet lower than our garden.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 22nd June 2020, 3:24 pm

I picked (and ate !) the last of my broad beans yesterday. Nice, but not plentiful. They were sown in November and the rows were a bit gappy, so maybe that's part of the reason.

I never get more than one flush of beans off mine. The first half dozen flowers per stem maybe make full pods, the rest of the flowers higher up the stem either don't set or abort. And although I normally take Geoff Hamilton's word as the definitive truth, I have tried following his advice of cutting down almost to the ground in the hope of getting regrowth and a second crop - but it never works for me.

Better news is that, despite being in some senses a failure, my attempt to grow cumin bolted before I had even planted it out. But, I have a pot of bolted cumin with seeds on it. Perhaps even more than I sowed Laughing But it does mean together with my seeds from the bolted coriander, I may have a chance of a completely home grown curry Very Happy
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 22nd June 2020, 6:30 pm

My coriander bolted really quickly too, as did my rocket (about 3 days after I planted it out!). But I have read that some crops, like the oriental greens, fare much better for being sown after mid summer. So, I'm going to try again with both of those in the next week or so.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 22nd June 2020, 7:03 pm

All my brassicas have had a major attack by mealy aphid. I had to resort to some (probably now illegal) chemical. I sprayed both sides of every leaf on every plant. I think it did the trick, theyre looking a bit better now. I thought the whole lot were doomed.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 23rd June 2020, 8:42 am

Almost all the greens I sowed in a raised bed for the chickens have bolted - including spinach, parsley and coriander. Even the perpetual spinach has started to bolt now and that's normally bomb-proof. However, some that self-seeded a couple of years ago has popped up in the ground so the girls will get their greens.
Broad beans did well in the end after loads of flower and nothing setting for quite a while.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 23rd June 2020, 10:50 am

The great thing about coriander is that if it bolts, you get coriander seed. If it doesn't, you get leaf and maybe seed later - if it dries in time. The cumin I don't think the leaves are useful, and usually the challenge is having a long enough season, so maybe it has done me a favour by bolting.

Rocket - I prefer Italian wild rocket, when it bolts the leaves are finer, but with a really good peppery heat, much better than the early leaves IMHO. And then it self seeds so you don't need to sow it the following year. My lettuce is thinking of bolting now, it has done better than normal as I've moved the garden veggie plot path to create a patch under the apple trees for the strawberries, and room for a shady row of lettuce - they seem to fare better than in full sun. When I say path, it is a series of concrete pacing slabs 1x2', in the gaps between I've planted alternate thyme and chamomile, which looks nice.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down