A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Fresh shoots in May Hca_button

Fresh shoots in May

5 posters

Go down

Fresh shoots in May Empty Fresh shoots in May

Post by Chilli-head 4th May 2021, 8:37 am

A few things have shown themselves in my garden veg plot. Sugar snap peas, radish, spring onions and salad leaves - some of these still taking shelter under cloches on a rather blustery morning today.

Yesterday I timed it to perfection. Went to the allotment, and as is my usual method, dug a narrow trench and backfilled it with spent greenhouse compost, then sowed carrots into that. Netting them with environmesh right away. I just made it home before the rain began. Right on cue !  I did nanage to repair the damage to my soft fruit netting caused by the manure delivery too.

Last edited by Chilli-head on 3rd June 2021, 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Fresh shoots in May Empty Re: Fresh shoots in May

Post by Ploshkin 4th May 2021, 12:36 pm

Still kicking my heels waiting for the freezing nights to pass before planting out in the polytunnel. I don't think we had more than 2 or 3 nights in April without frost. The peas and beans that are planted out are covered in swathes of fleece every night. I have absolutely nothing outside but I need to prepare a bed for brassicas which have started strongly in the greenhouse.
By this time last year a lot of plants pretty much thought they had finished after the very warm spell and I had a generally lacklustre season so actually I think this slow start, although frustrating, is preferable.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 5th May 2021, 8:46 am

The shoots in my garden appear to be a largish number of hostas. Much as I like hostas I am not prepared to poison the creatures that munch on them so, in time, they will probably have to go. I will try deterrents but, from previous experience, I know this will only have a small effect. I also have my axe eye on the single tree in the front garden which can only be a Gingko Biloba and therefore of no known value to British wildlife. A Rowan is favourite to replace it.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 5th May 2021, 8:58 am

Are hostas poisonous? I have loads and have never been aware of anything being poisoned.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 5th May 2021, 11:45 am

I was presuming that Flobear was talking about needing to poison the slugs and snails that would otherwise eat them. They do seem to suffer a lot.

Mrs C-H has a growing collection of hostas on the shadier of our patios, grown in terracotta pots, where they seem to escape the attention of the slugs by an large. Terracotta plots may reduce plastic use, and look lovely but it does mean you spend much more on more than the plants in them though !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 5th May 2021, 12:33 pm

Ah, my brain shot off on the wrong track there. If the hostas are well established you may find that the slugs don't bother them, perhaps they get too tough. We've lived here for 23 years and there were well established hostas already in the garden. I have never had a slug problem with them. I do wonder if the newer, fancy varieties are more susceptible. Mine are pretty ordinary. I have one plain green leaved one that ends up about 6 ' diameter.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 5th May 2021, 12:44 pm

I spent many years trying in vain to establish some lily of the valley (a throwback to childhood) in the sunless bit of my garden. About 3 years back it suddenly got going and was starting to spread ..... until the scaffolders and builders turned up. The patch where it was ended up compacted and covered in bits of cement so I resigned myself to starting again. I was delighted this morning to see valiant shoots making an appearance. The outside building work is finished and the scaffolding has gone so it shouldnt get trampled on now.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

freebird likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 5th May 2021, 7:49 pm

Good to hear that the Lily of the Valley have survived the workmen!

As C-H siad, I was talking about the slugs and snails. I shall be very glad if at least some of the hostas can fend them off.

Today I made a 3 sq. metre fenced off area behind the chicken house so I will have some chance of growing a few veg without them being eaten by chickens or trampled on by dogs. If we can get past hail showers and unseasonably cold weather, I might start sourcing plants for it.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 15th May 2021, 10:15 pm

Oh my goodness. Had a look at the kitchen garden plot today; it is covered in weeds, which on closer inspection are all volunteer edibles - rocket, coriander, dill, parsley ... i will have to weed by eating it all I reckon !

The butternut squash are at last emerging, what hope getting them ripe before winter ? We will need a cracking summer to make up for the cold start. Nothing to harvest yet, but the lettuce under cloches is looking great - Mortons' secret mix from Real Seeds, it is excellent.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 19th May 2021, 3:17 pm

Chilli-head wrote:Oh my goodness.  Had a look at the kitchen garden plot today; it is covered in weeds, which on closer inspection are all volunteer edibles - rocket, coriander, dill, parsley ... i will have to weed by eating it all I reckon !

crylaugh
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 23rd May 2021, 9:07 pm

I've never had much luck with sowing spring onions directly into the soil (in fact I rarely sow anything directly as seeds don't seem to germinate in our cold clay soil, with the exception of runner beans.) I heard a suggestion about planting spring onions in a pot relatively close together, then planting them out, so that they resemble the sort of clump you would buy from the greengrocer. I'm trying this, and so far it's working well. I have two 'clumps' planted out and I've just sown two more pots so I have a bit of a succession going.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

freebird likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 23rd May 2021, 10:15 pm

Ooh, that's a good idea Dandelion. I have sown some directly in my new raised veg bed. The first lot have germinated rather patchily, though it was just before we had all that very cold April weather. Have recently sown more direct as well, though not germinated yet. May try your way for a third lot, it start them in the green house. Wondering if it might be a good idea for baby carrots too.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 25th May 2021, 7:36 pm

I do baby carrots in the polytunnel. I use Amsterdam Forcing seed and grow in one of my 18" drainage rings on top of the bed. I sprinkle the seed over the surface then when they are large enough thin to 1" spacing. You can start pulling them as small as you like and, depending on how fast you use them, the others can grow on. I actually finished harvesting my June sowing in March this year.
I would think that if you did them in clumps the roits might twist round each other. I will definitely try the clumps for spring onions. I can poke them between other things instead of finding enough space for a row.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 26th May 2021, 9:25 pm

Ploshkin wrote:
 I will definitely try the clumps for spring onions.  I can poke them between other things instead of finding enough space for a row.
That seems to be one of the benefits of this method, as well as being able to bring the spring onions on early under cover. So far, I can't discover any drawbacks!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 26th May 2021, 9:39 pm

Spring onion Yoda is doing well for me in the ground, under a cloche.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 31st May 2021, 9:03 pm

Huge catching up session at the allotment. Loads of digging weeds, and planted out cabbages, onions, shallots, and Greek Gihandes. Worn out now.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 31st May 2021, 9:17 pm

Likewise Chilli Head. I completed all the main planting in the polytunnel then for the last 2 days I have sorted out the outside beds. It involved a lot of digging out massive dandelions. I've planted out sprouts and cabbages and got a bed ready for beans. I've been looking up things that can be sowed in June as I have a spare bed because I haven't planted any potatoes outside this year.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down