A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Hello, I'm Compostwoman Hca_button

Hello, I'm Compostwoman

Go down

Hello, I'm Compostwoman Empty Hello, I'm Compostwoman

Post by Compostwoman 14th March 2010, 8:06 pm

Hello everyone, I am Compostwoman and I am writing this to introduce myself a bit more.

I live in Herefordshire with my husband and 9 year old daughter. We have lived in rural Herefordshire for 12 years in a house surrounded by nearly four acres of woodland and garden. These four acres comprise three acres of mixed broad leaf deciduous woodland, a small meadow with a pool, orchard, veg plot, polytunnel and garden. Before we moved here we lived in a suburb, but always wanted to get back out into the countryside as both of us come from farming/smallholding backgrounds.

We manage this land organically, for the benefit of our wildlife visitors as well as ourselves, and aim to be as self reliant as we can. We grow a lot of fruit and vegetables and eat our own produce for a lot of the year. When we are not, we try to use local shops in our nearby market town or organic stalls at our local Farmers Market. We store lots of our produce, make all our own bread, cider, jams and chutneys as well as some wine, yoghurt, butter and cheese.

We have our own water supply and sewage treatment facility here, which is not common in most areas of the UK although it is quite normal around us. We are still on mains electricity but hope to install some photovoltaic panels in the next few months to reduce our grid dependence. A solar thermal water heating installation provides us with lots of (free!) hot water. Oh, and we use fuel from our own wood for the wood burner, also.

Pv's went up in May 2010 and provide us with a lot of our electricity! (added Feb 2011)

We are fortunate here to have enough land to grow most of our own veg, keep chickens and I am working on us rearing our own meat. Our woodland provides a playground for children and a place for me to carry out environmental education work. The wood is a comfort to the soul, a wonderful wildlife habitat, an endless source of fun and wonder and of course provides us with wood to burn.

Hello, I'm Compostwoman DSCF5676
Hello, I'm Compostwoman Moz-screenshot

Compostman and I support our local community as much as we can and have worked hard to
try to make our personal and wider environment here as sustainable as we can. We are by no means "deep greens" in our lifestyle though. We have two cars as it would be hard to live here without them, a TV, computers and we live a normal life ( I think?) BUT we are not aiming for perfection but rather to do the best we can at the moment. As and when we can, we work on the rest Very Happy

Compostman and I spent many years working as professional research scientists in Electronics and Material Science related areas, but we no longer do that anymore due to retirement (him) and voluntary redundancy (me). In the last 15 years I have switched career path completely and I now mainly work as an Environmental Educator. I volunteer to teach Organic Gardening at my daughter's primary school and I help run a successful after school Eco Club which Compostman also helps a lot with. I am a Forest School Leader, so I work with children helping them experience the wonders of playing in woodlands as part of their school day. I also teach adults. I am also a qualified Holistic Therapist and enjoy making household and personal care items.

I have been a keen organic gardener and composter for many years and am a Master Composter - a volunteer community compost advisor with my local council and Garden Organic (the working name for HDRA). I go to various events such as county shows, give talks and demonstrations, take schools assemblies and enthuse about compost to all and sundry!

We have lived here for 12 years now and most of the time its great fun, but hard work sometimes. (not so sure about mucking out chickens in the pouring rain!) We are blessed to live where we do and I am very conscious that I am SO lucky to live here.

I work doing something I adore, I LOVE talking to people about making compost, gardening, growing their own veg and getting out to experience playing in woodland! I am so happy if someone says “ I grew some herbs” or “ I tried washing with Soapnuts” or “I started making compost”

I am passionate about helping children AND adults to live a more sustainable life and see the wonder of our natural world. And I get to do all these things everyday Smile

Anyway that's me and why I live like I do and why I like this forum so very much.

Last edited by Compostwoman on 2nd February 2011, 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Hello, I'm Compostwoman Empty Re: Hello, I'm Compostwoman

Post by Guest 3rd August 2010, 10:26 am

Hello you Hello, I'm Compostwoman Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 3rd August 2010, 5:47 pm

Ah ha! You made it in here Hello, I'm Compostwoman Icon_biggrin
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down