A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What have you done in the wood today? Hca_button

What have you done in the wood today?

4 posters

Go down

What have you done in the wood today? Empty What have you done in the wood today?

Post by Compostwoman 15th March 2010, 8:10 pm

Today we have been working clearing a new paddock area on the edge of the wood nearest the pool,

CM and I have felled 4 BIG trees and logged them up and stacked them in the wood store to dry out, I have snedded off the twiggery and saved what is reasonable for burning or crafts, and made a
pile for shredding the rest...we have also burnt some very tangled hawthorn  and got a good hot fire going.

We have also coppiced 3 stools of 20 year old hazel... so have some lovely straight thick poles
for firewood and construction and a lot of bean poles as well as some supports for my planned bender and for den building courses.

And coppiced some Wayfarer...a tangled mess but we managed to make it look tidy...

Have now got the poles for the bodgers hovel/bender I am planning, as well as some lovely curved
poles from a wayfarer I coppiced  What have you done in the wood today? Herz and some really good poles with "Y"s at the end for support poles for various dens...and LOADS of firewood and pea sticks and bean poles...

Have just come in from being by the fire in the dark, pushing the outer twiggery into the embers to burn up the last few bits and keep the fire safe....I love fires and woodland....especially in the dark Laughing  What have you done in the wood today? Herz

But now I need a hot shower and a hair washing session...!

Last edited by Compostwoman on 26th February 2011, 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

What have you done in the wood today? Empty Re: What have you done in the wood today?

Post by Bardster 15th March 2010, 8:18 pm

Didnt do much this weekend, just took down a big ash tree. used a few lengths for anvil stands, cut two 7 foot lengths and slip them down for bow staves. The rest of the large stuff will be used as benching in the chill out area, with the smaller stuff as firewood. Next weekend we start on the Brick bread oven and the earthed up dustbin bread oven. Oh and more work on the bow staves.
Bardster
Bardster

http://www.bushcraft-magazine.co.uk

Back to top Go down

What have you done in the wood today? Empty Re: What have you done in the wood today?

Post by Compostwoman 15th March 2010, 8:28 pm

I am wondering if I can split some of the ash we will fell tomorrow using just wedges.....I want some for benches but don't have a planking set up....

Also am now eying up everything for a shave horse from green wood...also poles for a structure...CM is getting a bit fed up with me stopping him cutting it up for firewood! What have you done in the wood today? Icon_smile
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 15th March 2010, 8:39 pm

Compostwoman wrote:I am wondering if I can split some of the ash we will fell tomorrow using just wedges.....
Nah. I reckon you're going to need some sort of hammer as well. Wink

Out of interest, what do you folk call a "big tree"?
If memory serves, it is anything more than 1 ½ times the length of the saw.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 15th March 2010, 8:47 pm

Ha ha very funny...have hammers...wondered if wedges and a bilhook to get it started would do..

Big tree..yes, your estinate would be about right!

Lots of wood stacking up in 2010's woodstore bay..... a good feeling to have it piling up !
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bardster 15th March 2010, 9:15 pm

Yeah, we just used a beetle and 4 wedges. Wasn't a huge tree...

What have you done in the wood today? Ashtree

What have you done in the wood today? Ashstaves
Bardster
Bardster

http://www.bushcraft-magazine.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 15th March 2010, 10:08 pm

Would really appreciate some advice about splitting logs to make firewood. A friend helped us cut down a smallish tree with a chainsaw a few years ago - we've used the smaller branches on our log burner, but are left with some nicely maturing logs approx 14'' diameter (and no idea how to split them!). I know this is probably beginner's stuff, but would be grateful to know how to do it. We've got a wedge - do we need more than one?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 15th March 2010, 10:24 pm

We split foot plus diameter logs with a grenade and a sledgehammer....

is that any help? Usually into four or more bits...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 15th March 2010, 10:28 pm

Sorry to sound a bit dim, but what's a grenade??
Shocked
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 15th March 2010, 10:34 pm

A metal wedge? Its shaped like a grenade...and that is what they get called...

not dim at all btw, if you don't know, its much better to ask...I think it is dim not to.... What have you done in the wood today? Icon_smile

linky to one HERE
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 15th March 2010, 10:42 pm

Could come over and help if you need it, Dandelion?
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 16th March 2010, 12:12 am

Compostwoman wrote:linky to one HERE
I've found those ones not as good as the Stihl one. You would think a pointy bit of metal is a pointy bit of metal, but...
Actually the Stihl one has a flat end, not a point. Counter intuitive: I'd've thought a point would be better.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 16th March 2010, 8:25 am

See? That is why I started this thread....lots of useful info in all our heads...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoe 16th March 2010, 8:32 am

Dandelion,
I chainsawed some green oak for a friend recently and when she tried to split it she used a spliting maul (looks like an axe but the head is much thicker and the blade is more like a fat wedge) she was getting nowhere. I sugested getting a medium sized splitting axe (a handle about 2 1/2 feet long) and a lump or sledge hammer. Doing a fine job now.
Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 16th March 2010, 9:57 am

I had to advise CM yesterday to split the Alder logs asap, as when it seasons it is rock hard stuff..used for lock gates and waterwheels fixings I believe so impervious to wet ( and splitting....)

So he did. What have you done in the wood today? Icon_smile
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 16th March 2010, 8:06 pm

Thanks for all your advice folks - will report back when OH has time to have a go at the logs.
Let's split! hippy1
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 24th March 2010, 8:44 pm

Actually I think Alder is rock solid once wet..which is why it is used for submerged stuff...but still, it got the stuff split asap.....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by WT 25th March 2010, 6:28 pm

One of the trees used for mediaeval foundations was elm. Strasbourg cathedral is build on elm piles driven into the wet ground... just one problem... when modern man decided to pump ground water the water-table dropped... elm piles exposed to air and started rotting... cathedral started subsiding... expensive underpinning job.
WT

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 25th March 2010, 8:08 pm

Most of Venice is builts on piles made from Alder tree trunks....

Am
doing a Living Willow structure course on Saturday... What have you done in the wood today? Icon_smile
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 8th April 2010, 9:21 pm

Helped CM to fell a very beautiful Bird Cherry yesterday What have you done in the wood today? Icon_cry did not really want to fell it as it was magnificent BUT it was producing such a lot of shading over the veg plot, now it is fully grown, that for the last 4 years we have said we must fell it....

so this year, we did

Sad though...but lots of fire wood and some nice wood for me to make things with

Today we felled another wild cherry and a big silver birch, and CM shredded a lot of twiggery so the hens will have lots of wood shred to play in, inside their pen, later on..

Also moved the new picnic benches into the woodland camp site, so next I need to sort out the tarp. shelter/bodgers hovel I am errecting there...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 19th May 2010, 11:00 am

CM and I have been clearing up all the logs from the felled trees lately, also shredding and I have been gathering pea sticks and more poles for den building stuff.

have put up a shelter in the wood, a bit on the small side but am planning a bigger one, in my mind, at the moment....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by WT 5th June 2010, 7:27 pm

Still clearing away the hazel I coppiced in the Spring (knowing I would have time over the summer). I think i will probably get around two cord out of it once I have finished. The stools had not been touched for 25+ years!
WT

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 26th February 2011, 6:24 pm

Have been felling trees and coppicing hazel in the wood - now have a clearing which would make a lovely pig pen... Twisted Evil

The trees were Ash, Cherry and Poplar, all of which are shading the pvs in the winter so are to be used for firewood....I have kept back some cherry for woodwork.

The Hazel was more of the 20 year old, never yet cut which had some really good sized wood for burning AND some thinner lengths for building benders etc

This year I am hoping to make a proper bender as well as a frame for a tarpaulin shelter. I also want to make some hurdles so am grading and separating the hazel as we cut it down. Will be doing a lot more of that this coming week I think.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 8th March 2011, 6:59 pm

Have been continuing to coppice various hazels, shred twiggery and cut logs, ..no birds were nesting any where near any of the trees etc, in case anyone was wondering!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down