A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Training your chickens to be garden friendly Hca_button

Training your chickens to be garden friendly

2 posters

Go down

Training your chickens to be garden friendly Empty Training your chickens to be garden friendly

Post by Zoe 30th March 2010, 10:35 am

Our chickens roam freely and there are places they are allowed to do all things chicken. Such as under the orchard trees for a good scratch, the lawn they are great moss scarifies (just widely throw out some wheat grain and they do the work!), paths and open land, and sand dust area for the dust bath etc. But there are areas they are not allowed…accept when they are invited. None of our 9 vegetable beds (300m sq) or same number but smaller areas of flower gardens are for their pleasure!

The girls are invited on to help when we are digging and one is extremely good to work with as she knows I’m not after what she wants and so waits until the forks it not dangerous to her before she collects her pray. If I work rhythmically we get along very well together. The top bird tends to be a bit pushy and has to have the fork get too close to comfort before she remembers there is a critter higher then her!

We also use the girls to scratch through the compost when we dump it on the beds. One lass is very good at this and will level it quite well. They know that this is acceptable and are happy to assist. This year I did see the lowest ranking bird looking for a different space to work in and walked towards another bed, say the neat rows of garlic and quickly side stepped away.

Once the beds are level and ready for planting the girls have to realize these are again out of bounds. If it does have thick compost on and I’m not around to remind them (they do look at me for permission first) I sprinkle wood ash over it as they will not scratch where this is. Then when it is level and seeded I put sticks marking the rows and this sign of lines seems to indicate to the chickens it is not to be touched and go elsewhere discussing as they go!

So how do we do it? Well basically we have hens at point of lay and we train them as you would any animal. I’m always amazed that some people can’t even keep the children and dogs off their flower and vegetable beds! You have to be around when they are out at first and as soon as they look to scratch on the bed use a good authoritive “NO” and when they are on the bed use “OFF”. Always use a consistent tone and reinforce your wish by running them off or swinging a stick in their direction. I use eye contact and can tell one bird off whilst the others know they are not in the wrong.

The other important thing I have noticed is there is a clear visual definition to the areas they not allowed. These have bare earth and occasional plants. Where they are allowed is total covering of primarily grasses or harder surface (but not open soil). They do get a little confused with dry earth which they may think could be used for a dust bath. When spotted I water this area and reinforce that they are unwelcome. They object of course but they learn.

I have one bird that does like to eat flowers but she doesn’t scratch. Basically hens are far more intelligent than we want to believe. We could not treat animals as badly as we do if we accepted their true qualities. We can enjoy having the girls around and they happily follow Wood Troll anywhere on the land.

And no we don't have a cockeral (they break up the harmony of the flock and contribute nothing!)

Zoe

Back to top Go down

Training your chickens to be garden friendly Empty Re: Training your chickens to be garden friendly

Post by Compostwoman 30th March 2010, 11:03 am

I agree with you about the cockerel, and yes training chickens is possible! After all, they come when we call, to be fed, which is just training.

I find only certain birds really "push their luck" in the more forbidden areas..and yes, they have to be reminded who is boss...( that would be me...!)

We find they all follow us wherever we are working, which is nice..although I do have to shut them away when we are felling trees...as they tend to want to do "death dives" under the line of the falling tree.... Training your chickens to be garden friendly Icon_rolleyes
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Training your chickens to be garden friendly Empty Re: Training your chickens to be garden friendly

Post by WoodTrol 31st March 2010, 8:08 pm

CW, I find that the chucks keep away from me when I'm chainsawing and doing things with large lumps of wood.... mind you my chainsaw is rather noisy with all 7.3 horses thrumming together. Training your chickens to be garden friendly Icon_twisted

As for one of my brumucks (in my local dialect, billhook to anyone else) thats another matter, I think they know that it is a thing they do not ever want to meet Training your chickens to be garden friendly 8767
WoodTrol

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 31st March 2010, 8:16 pm

Our chooks, or some of them at least, seem to live only to figure ways of escaping their area and invading the main garden. They know enough to scarper back to the gate as soon as they see me emerge from the house but the only foolproof method I have ever found to deter them longterm from scratching out seedlings has been the use of the billhook, or a hands-on approach to similar effect.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoe 4th April 2010, 7:22 pm

Good thing our chickens are trained. One flew over the stream today including a patch of brambles, some 10ft in length. I'm not sure we could contain them!
Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down