A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you preserving today? - Page 2 Hca_button

What are you preserving today?

+17
mr_sfstk8d
GoneDutch
MrsC
Adrian
Devonmama
Lakshmi
GB
AngelinaJellyBeana
Chilli-head
Aberlemno
polgara
chickenofthewoods
Dandelion
Compostwoman
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Sparhawk
Mam Miniog
21 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

What are you preserving today? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are you preserving today?

Post by Chilli-head 16th July 2010, 11:48 am

Aberlemno wrote:
Zoe - I know what you mean about cherry brandy - having to buy the brandy first! You will have to sort out a Still . . .

Can you do that legally in France ? Distilling your own is considered naughty here What are you preserving today? - Page 2 Icon_cry

Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

What are you preserving today? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are you preserving today?

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 16th July 2010, 12:48 pm

Chilli-head wrote:
Aberlemno wrote:
Zoe - I know what you mean about cherry brandy - having to buy the brandy first! You will have to sort out a Still . . .

Can you do that legally in France ? Distilling your own is considered naughty here What are you preserving today? - Page 2 Icon_cry

Allegedly... lol

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 16th July 2010, 12:52 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:
Chilli-head wrote:

Allegedly... lol

I know that, as an upstanding citizen, you would never contemplate such a thing Billy. Me neither, which is a shame because I hear that plums can be made into quite a nice spirit What are you preserving today? - Page 2 Icon_wink
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 24th July 2010, 5:54 pm

Pickled a few jars of beetroot today and am still 'red-handed'! Am looking forward to eating it in the winter (though am NOT looking forward to winter itself..... What are you preserving today? - Page 2 Fresse )
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 24th July 2010, 7:35 pm

Missed the window of chance to pick the sour cherries and they are now a hazard, as the ground is covered with wasps under the tree.....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana 25th July 2010, 8:31 pm

20 jars of jam this weekend:

3 large rhubarb & ginger and one small one for my mum, which she took today, and a bit left over in a dish in the fridge
8 raspberry in jars of varying sizes (small one gone to mum)
8 blackcurrant in jars of varying sizes with some left over in a dish in the fridge

What are you preserving today? - Page 2 P1000210

I also made some blackcurrant cordial, but it's gone a bit "jammy" in the bottle. Nothing that a poke with a chopstick can't sort out and lovely mixed with some soda water and ice or hot water.

I've still got lots of blackcurrants left so any ideas of what else to do with them greatly appreciated.
AngelinaJellyBeana
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 25th July 2010, 10:35 pm

Cooked a large amount of courgette and tomato casserole to freeze, after I discovered the Ones That Got Away - three giant marrettes? cougarrows? or just courges? Three courgettes really shouldn't make anough casserole for eight people!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 26th July 2010, 12:40 am

Well done AJB!

I have dusted off the dehydrator and got cracking on courgettes and tomatoes...
and have frozen some of the blue coco beans...the blue lake ( not blue at all!) are lovely and are what we are eating at the moment

Fell a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of stuff to freeze, dehydrate, pickle, jam, and otherwise preserve, tbh,.,,,,,

oh well, I always feel like this at this time of year!
but have grown differnet stuff this year and the funny weather has meant it has ripened early.

s o I am faced with preserving stuff a bit sooner than I normally anticipate! :face:
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 26th July 2010, 12:41 am

DL stuffed marrow OR soup is the way to deal with "THE ONES THAT GOT AWAY"!

or. chop up small and feed to chooks....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 26th July 2010, 7:07 am

The vegetables in question were at the stage where although they were massive, the skin was still tender, so there was less work than with a marrow. I used a wartime recipe (which is really for marrows) - the girls love it (which astounded me when I first tried it), and we have it on rice with grated mature cheddar sprinkled on top. It freezes beautifully.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 26th July 2010, 10:56 am

Stuffed marrow. It makes me shudder to remember the gross version we were fed as kids. A marrow hollowed out, filled with sausage meat and gently cooked in the oven to give a vile watery outer with rubbery steamed sausage meat inside. Now where's the barfing smiley gone when I need it ?

A better approach, that worked well with those yellow ball shaped corgettes when they got a bit big. Cut in half lengthwise, hollow out into boats. Brush with chilli oil, season and roast for a little while in a hot oven. Fill with pre-cooked (or left over) chilli, preferably made with beef and Mexican chillies such as Ancho, Mulato or Chipotle. Top with a bit of cheese and bake until warmed through and cheese melted, maybe starting to brown.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 26th July 2010, 4:55 pm

Maybe I'll let some more courgettes get too big and try that out - it sounds lovely
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th July 2010, 6:43 pm

Chilli-head wrote:
Aberlemno wrote:

Many things are done here quietly, as long as they are for your own consumption, and got away with...but you do need to be licenced and the site licenced too. Amusingly there is a legal still owned by a little old man at the end of our valley....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th July 2010, 6:46 pm

Marrow problem? Try Marrow and ginger jam. The marrow completely takes on the flavour of the ginger (root) and the soft cubes make many people think they are eating stem ginger!!

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 19th August 2010, 5:37 pm

Finished my 3rd lot of mustard pickle. That will be the last lot this year.

With the left over veg I just made a mixed pickle.

I eat none of it but OH says it is fine.

chef2
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20th August 2010, 8:38 am

Zoe wrote:Marrow problem? Try Marrow and ginger jam. The marrow completely takes on the flavour of the ginger (root) and the soft cubes make many people think they are eating stem ginger!!

Yup! that's brill, shall be doing somer soon. Love the little old man with the still at the end of your valley Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 20th August 2010, 9:32 am

polgara wrote:Finished my 3rd lot of mustard pickle. That will be the last lot this year.

With the left over veg I just made a mixed pickle.

I eat none of it but OH says it is fine.

chef2

"Lady S" enjoyed it too...
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th August 2010, 8:15 pm

Bottled golden plums and plum jam....

Corn (and chilli) relish....

and from the press 11 litres of grape juice in the freezer (in very well washed out plastic milk bottles)

Back to top Go down

Post by GB 18th September 2010, 3:11 pm

Have made 11 pint jars of pindo palm fruit syrup Evil or Very Mad My test batch of jelly set just fine so scaled up to a big batch and the jars sealed just fine but nope, didnt set AT ALL :bigangry:

My plan WAS a pretty bottle of syrup and a jar of jelly as Christmas prezzies but its going to be a jar of each now.

*sigh*
GB
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakshmi 15th June 2011, 12:17 pm

I "harvested" cheaply from the greengrocers five bellpeppers that cost me the price of one as they were starting to wrinkle a bit (ever so slightly) so I dried them and also found strawberries from the £-a-punnet-guy. they hadn't been a pound a punnet in a long long time. they look gorgeous if on the small side, but I am drying them too to put some sunshine in my winter porridge.
Lakshmi
Lakshmi

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 15th August 2011, 10:38 am

Have finally finished pickling the onions this morning. They should be well ready by Christmas & look good.

Next job is blackberry jam as I have several tubs of prepared berries in the freezer & need the space for other things,
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 15th August 2011, 1:34 pm

Several jars of brawn, several of lard, two bottles of venison stock, six of pork stock, three of mutton stock, two large mutton hams and another guanciale, and 2 each of large venison liver and pork liver pate.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Devonmama 24th August 2011, 9:03 am

Canning jars of passata soon, and just done a batch of mint sauce and a tiny jar of blackberry jam (biggest son eats more than he picks!) Allotments are heaving so blanching and freezing a lot of beans, and have onions and garlic drying out. We've managed to grow (fingers crossed!) enough to supply us until next year this time, I love it when a plan comes together Smile
Devonmama

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakshmi 29th August 2011, 11:51 am

will dry some pears and apple slices today.
Got them yesterday from a "semi-forage" and walk event.
Lakshmi
Lakshmi

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 29th August 2011, 1:37 pm

Made an experimental batch of hot dog sausages and bottled them. Making the weiners was a bit more complicated than I anticipated tbh - getting the mixture to emulsify and so on, but they came out fine, so that's another 10 kg of porky goodness preserved for the winter without any need for electricity.

Need to get out elderberry picking this week and all of the Autumn raspberries have just come in, so they need processing too. Got about a hundred sunflower heads to deal with as well.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by GB 30th August 2011, 12:05 am

What are you preserving today? - Page 2 00312

Beautyberries, and no, the color hasnt been doctored Laughing they really are that color!

pity they dont keep it when turned into jelly or in my case, syrup headbang
GB
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next