A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by FloBear 16th July 2018, 9:24 pm

» Trying to avoid wilting in the July garden
by Chilli-head 16th July 2018, 10:03 am

» Weekend at the Kettlewell hostel
by Chilli-head 13th July 2018, 4:56 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird 10th July 2018, 7:40 pm

» Pest Controls...
by Chilli-head 9th July 2018, 2:09 pm

» Summer has arrived in the garden in June
by Dandelion 26th June 2018, 9:26 pm

» whats on the menu
by Chilli-head 25th June 2018, 9:38 pm

» Proud for once ....
by freebird 18th June 2018, 8:22 am

» An excellent walk - 3 days in Snowdonia
by FloBear 8th June 2018, 6:23 pm

» The magazine rack
by Chilli-head 1st June 2018, 4:44 pm

» Hoping there May be a bit less rain on the garden !
by Chilli-head 31st May 2018, 8:40 pm

» Housekeeping
by Dandelion 31st May 2018, 4:42 pm

» Breadmaker recipes
by FloBear 8th May 2018, 9:16 am

» Hand Weeding Tool
by FloBear 2nd May 2018, 5:03 pm

» Gardening between the April showers
by FloBear 30th April 2018, 8:52 am

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 28th April 2018, 6:51 pm

» Knitting in the round
by FloBear 12th April 2018, 11:51 am

» Anyone braving the garden in March ?
by Chilli-head 1st April 2018, 10:21 pm

» Seed swap anyone?
by FloBear 15th March 2018, 3:56 pm

» Waste collection consultation
by Ploshkin 4th March 2018, 9:20 am

Statistics
We have 238 registered users
The newest registered user is Pat B.

Our users have posted a total of 45672 messages in 2358 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

What are you harvesting today?

Page 41 of 41 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 39, 40, 41

Go down

default Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Chilli-head on 5th July 2018, 10:36 pm

Finished picking the blackcurrants. 5kg from four plants. Mrs C-H has already made blackcurrant jam, and it is rather nice.

Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 6th July 2018, 8:51 am

I picked 1.6 kg of blackcurrants from one bush, there are still some left, and the second bush is still ripening. I have plenty of jam from last year so am not sure how to use such a large crop.
A few peas have been consumed raw in salad - they are like little sweeties.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 6th July 2018, 4:01 pm

Picked a couple of litre ice cream tubs of raspberries today. Haven't picked any blackcurrants yet but they are ready if the birds leave any. The female blackbirds just pop up onto the nearby fence post and glare at me until I go away.
Flobear, I make blackcurrant cordial and ice cream and they're good on a cheesecake too if they're not too sharp.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 6th July 2018, 4:41 pm

Sounds good, thanks Ploshkin.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 7th July 2018, 12:32 pm

One French bean today - the first. Blackcurrants are great for summer pudding too. I just lob my crop straight into the freezer and use as and when. No luck again with raspberries this year. My early rising neighbour reports that the wood pigeons are feasting on them, despite my efforts to protect them (the raspberries that is, not the pigeons).
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 7th July 2018, 7:04 pm

That's useful to know about freezing blackcurrants. Presumably gooseberries will be OK too.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 7th July 2018, 7:26 pm

I've got blackcurrants, redcurrants and gooseberries from bumper years in the freezer, sometimes there in there for 2 or 3 years. I've found they're fine for making jam if I run out and there's always a supply for pies and crumbles.
One thing I won't be harvesting this year is blueberries. They must be shallower rooting, I noticed today that the developing fruit had dried up on the bushes. I'm not accustomed to looking to see if things outside need watering.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 7th July 2018, 7:28 pm

Yes indeed, gooseberries too. Ideally, open freeze both, then bag up when frozen. Stops them sticking together. You can either take stalks off currants and then freeze, or if you're in a hurry, freeze them first, and take stalks off the amount you want to use. Less messy that way as well.

Ah, you popped in Ploshkin, while I was posting. Knowing blueberries like a moist soil, I made my pots up a bit like the autopots - about 2 inches of stones in the base, and then dug out a pit of similar depth, lined with an offcut of pond liner, so the pots can have a water reservoir. Was just going to use pot saucers, but when I saw the price of large ones decided to find a cheaper option.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 7th July 2018, 9:26 pm

My blueberries are planted directly into the ground because we have acid (party) soil. I don't usually have a moisture problem because the peat is over clay which proves a big advantage in weather like this - like having a built in reservoir. It's certainly proving that way in the polytunnel. Despite the high temperatures in there (close to 50 every day for 6 weeks now) I'm only watering once in the evenings and not excessively.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 8th July 2018, 8:36 am

Thanks for the information about freezing, ladies. My blueberries, in pots, are not really getting enough water but mostly are pick-able.
My GH got to over 50* Friday and Saturday.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 14th July 2018, 11:53 am

At the risk of being boring, it's just tomatoes that I'm harvesting, because that's all I've planted this year!! There should be some blackberries soon though, although they haven't been watered, so the fruit may be small and pippy. But autumn raspberries may be more promising especially as the weather should have broken long before they are ripe

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 14th July 2018, 2:32 pm

I'm harvesting Tumbling Tom tomatoes, ready before the ones in the greenhouse, and courgettes, peas and French beans.

I made two sowings of peas, Sugar snaps, broad beans and French beans, to help spread the cropping and avoid gluts. It has been partially successful, but in all cases, the second crop has been significantly poorer than the first. Not sure if that is down to the hot weather, or just being that much closer to summer solstice. Though actually, the second lot of French beans haven't started cropping yet, so jury's out on those.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 14th July 2018, 7:10 pm

My first melon. I just you he'd it to see if it was a bit sticky round the stem and it fell off! I thought it might be premature as it was still green on one side but it was sweet and juicy and gorgeous. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Courgettes are coming thick and fast from the polytunnel - I cut 4 this evening and just left them on my neighbours windowsill on the way past. Tom's are cropping well - sungold, black cherry and rose de berne. I have a constant supply of French beans and carrots from the polytunnel too.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 14th July 2018, 8:27 pm

Ploshkin wrote: I just you he'd it to see if it was a bit sticky round the stem

?? Autocorrect I presume!
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 15th July 2018, 7:04 pm

Tonight will be our first meal with all home-grown veg - tutankhamun peas (own saved seed, but originally from last year's seed swap), carrots (courtesy of seed swap this year) and charlotte potatoes, from veg basket leftovers that had started to sprout. Makes it feel like free food!
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 15th July 2018, 7:06 pm

freebird wrote:Tonight will be our first meal with all home-grown veg - tutankhamun peas (own saved seed, but originally from last year's seed swap), carrots (courtesy of seed swap this year) and charlotte potatoes, from veg basket leftovers that had started to sprout. Makes it feel like free food!

Sounds lovely!

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 15th July 2018, 7:53 pm

Today I have picked a big load of French beans, yet more courgettes, carrots, tomatoes, strawberries and the last peas from the polytunnel. I have a Kari Sayur on the go - now a firm favourite recipe.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 15th July 2018, 8:39 pm

I dug some new potatoes, and cut some courgettes and the first patty pan squash - what am I supposed to do with the latter ? Aside from the obvious that is - chuck them in a Kari Sayur !

Tomatoes are doing ok now, steady supply of Sungold and Cerise cherry tomatoes.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 16th July 2018, 11:21 am

Oh, I forgot to mention my first ever, and only, loganberry. The plant has put up five good stems this year, so hoping for a more fulsome crop next season.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 16th July 2018, 9:05 pm

freebird wrote:Oh, I forgot to mention my first ever, and only, loganberry. The plant has put up five good stems this year, so hoping for a more fulsome crop next season.
Once it takes off, you won't be able to move for berries!!

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 16th July 2018, 9:24 pm

My second mini-cucumber and more peas today.
Another decent lot of gooseberries and blackcurrants yesterday, which have gone in the freezer. Saving some in the fridge for summer pudding along with the blueberries that are in there.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 41 of 41 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 39, 40, 41