A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Some thoughts on resilience Hca_button

Some thoughts on resilience

3 posters

Go down

Some thoughts on resilience Empty Some thoughts on resilience

Post by Chilli-head 5th March 2022, 6:26 pm

It has long struck me that our globalised, complex, interdependent society is a bit fragile.  Current events certainly are testing that.

It seems to me we need to unwind some of the globalisation, and adopt a hierarchy of self-reliance, as a nation, as a community, as a family, as an individual.

So as a nation we need to reduce our reliance in imported energy - topically Russian gas. As it only makes up 5% of our supply, if we can all save just 5%, that could be zero.  Imported food - we should be supporting domestic production.  Even if that means going steady on "re-wilding" projects.

We should be shopping locally, and the crazy centralised distribution networks of the supermarkets needs a re-think.

We should be growing our own,  looking at what we have around us before buying imported goods.

We should try to make ourselves practically capable.  To be able to make things, fix things, improvise, etc.

Mostly beneficial for the environment, and more resilient to and isolated from the effect of external crises.  So where do we start ...?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Some thoughts on resilience Empty Re: Some thoughts on resilience

Post by Dandelion 6th March 2022, 8:05 pm

That's all so true. My feeling is that we need to start with one step, get used to it, then add another step to avoid being overwhelmed. I think which step you take first depends on your circumstances including your location. For instance, we are eating less meat now, and what we buy we get from a local supplier who deals with local farmers. But that's easy for us as we're in a rural town, and might be much more difficult in a city.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Hear, hear Chilli Head.  I have long said this.  Our decision to install a wood burning heating system 10 years ago was a conscious one for that very reason.  We are, of course, fortunate to be in a position to do that.
I also agree on cutting back on the rewilding etc to try and be more self sufficient in food.  Here, in Wales, the government are currently obsessed with tree planting and as farms come up for sale they are snapped up by big companies who then access Welsh Government grants to plant trees in order to offset their carbon emissions ( rather than doing anything about their emissions).  I like trees and we planted 5 acres ourselves on a boggy bit of ground that couldn't be used for anything else but many good, productive farms are being lost under trees because the big companies are competing for the land and farmers don't get a look in.  I believe that an acre of good grass captures more carbon than an acre of trees.
Where do we start?  I don't know but people are going to have to accept that food and goods have been too cheap for too long which I think has created a very wasteful society.   I've often said that a political party should stand with a manifesto that just says ' Cut out Waste' - waste of resources, waste of time, waste of money, waste of energy, waste of skills and waste of many more things and that would solve a good many of the problems faced by society
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Chilli-head, freebird and FloBear like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down