A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Compost - question and answer thread - Page 4 Hca_button

Compost - question and answer thread

+12
mr_sfstk8d
Dandelion
Nick B
Chilli-head
polgara
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Hairyloon
John Cossham
Sparhawk
Mike
MrsC
Compostwoman
16 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Compost - question and answer thread - Page 4 Empty woody stuff in compost

Post by John Cossham 11th April 2011, 6:31 pm

The previous messages, about woody stuff including conifer twigs and hemp stems, shows the importance of riddling your compost before use. The carbon-rich chunks, especially conifer which does take ages to rot can easily be riddled or screened out, the particles which fall through the seive are 'good compost' and all the stuff too big to go through can be put back on the heap, for another go round with lots of juicy putrescible nitrogen-rich materials.

I riddle with 3 things; a 'grandad riddle' which is basically a sheet of galvanised chicken wire on a wooden frame, about a metre square, which I prop up on something for materials to be rubbed through, OR a Rotaseive, which is a circular screen with a rotating bar above it which breaks up lumps and lets particles fall through, OR, when doing big quantities, I get my electric Scheppach RS400 rotary soil sifter out, and the rotating cylinder lets small particles fall through whilst larger bits pass out into a recepticle in a different area. It's a lovely bit of kit.

John Cossham

http://lowcarbonlifestyle.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Compost - question and answer thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Compost - question and answer thread

Post by mr_sfstk8d 11th April 2011, 6:35 pm

Oh, that does sound lovely. All I've got is "old granddad", lol. Wouldn't mind a rotoseive though.
mr_sfstk8d
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Compost - question and answer thread - Page 4 Empty Rotaseive info

Post by John Cossham 11th April 2011, 6:49 pm

I do recommend this product; I use it to mix seed and potting compost too... http://www.rotasieve.co.uk/

John
John Cossham
John Cossham

Back to top Go down

Compost - question and answer thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Compost - question and answer thread

Post by Compostwoman 11th April 2011, 10:50 pm

I am quite happy to just " re compost" my stuff though John. I have the space and enough surplus material to do this , though!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cossham 11th April 2011, 11:56 pm

Compostwoman wrote:I am quite happy to just " re compost" my stuff though John. I have the space and enough surplus material to do this , though!

"Re-compost my stuff through John" sounds just very odd, to me. I do 'process' food and then deposit it as humanure for composting, but to use me as a composter... well I think I'm probably more of an anaerobic digester actually!!!

John Laughing
John Cossham
John Cossham

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 11th April 2011, 11:59 pm

Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I said "though"...not " through"!! But sorry if the " lumpy bits" of Aubiose were painful....... Shocked

Off to bed now, teaching Master Composters tomorrow Very Happy
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cossham 12th April 2011, 12:34 am

oops... it's late and my vision is fuzzy.... maybe my brain's turning to compost.... sorry!
John Cossham
John Cossham

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 12th April 2011, 9:15 am

Computer screen, tea... Again...

Compost - question and answer thread - Page 4 677282
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 20th May 2011, 1:53 pm

I'm wondering about the "blanket" I use in my wormery. I have bought the coir onesfrom Wiggly wigglers in the past, but am wondering what o use instead that would be recycling something and free.

We have used layers of shreddings. I am currentl wondering whether to cut a pice of cardboard box to fit or a thick layer of newspaper.

does anyone have any answers?
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cossham 20th May 2011, 2:31 pm

I just use a newspaper... a whole one, which they seem to be happy underneath.
John Cossham
John Cossham

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 20th May 2011, 3:27 pm

Thank you - I'll give that a try. Nice and easy to find!!
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 26th May 2011, 3:30 pm

OH has found too many ants in the compost bin, any ideas how to get rid of at least some of them?
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 26th May 2011, 3:35 pm

Ants means the compost is too dry so try adding some water

BUT they will do no harm and actually do good work in the compost. So consider leaving them be, if you can?
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 26th May 2011, 3:45 pm

I can leave them but I don`t know wether OH will. He already threatened ant powder, but I told him NO in no uncertain terms.

I thought it might be a bit dry , so I may do that.

Thanks CW knew you would know.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 26th May 2011, 4:08 pm

polgara wrote:I can leave them but I don`t know wether OH will. He already threatened ant powder, but I told him NO in no uncertain terms.

I thought it might be a bit dry , so I may do that.

Thanks CW knew you would know.

My pleasure!

Tell OH that ant powder will not do the compost any good at all, as it will also kill other, helpful creatures which do the composting work Shocked
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cossham 27th May 2011, 12:19 am

Yes, totally agree that ants like the dryer end of the compost heap spectrum, and they may do no major harm but thay are carnivores and will be eating springtails, possibly small worms, beetle larvae and other denizens of your plastic bin. The solution is to give it a dig over, disrupt them, and put a thick layer of chopped up fruit and veg on top, or other quite wet materials. Maybe at this time of year, a 10 cm layer of grass cuttings?

But if they survive this onslaught, and re-appear, do just ignore them and keep chucking stuff on the pile. The major decomposers are bacteria and fungi, which won't be affected by ants.

John, who never suffers from ants as he tends to have wet drippy heaps rather than the dry crunchy ones!
John Cossham
John Cossham

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cossham 27th May 2011, 12:21 am

and who has *just* become a 'Junior Apprentice'!!! Woo! Compost - question and answer thread - Page 4 813884 Very Happy
John Cossham
John Cossham

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 27th May 2011, 8:58 am

John , that is good advice in general but in this case digging over the heap might be a bit difficult for either Pol or her OH.

Which is where wetting it further would be a good alternative.

Wet and sloppy? sounds a bit suspect - should be " damp-like-a-sponge , surely?

Wink
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cossham 27th May 2011, 12:49 pm

Agreed, if moving the stuff around a bit with a stick, garden fork or 'Compostmate' screwy thing (very very easy to use!) is difficult for any reason, just add moist materials, allow rainwater to fall on the pile, or washing-up water (with biodegradable w-u-liquid, if w-u-liquid is used) or if you really want to improve the situation, urine is a great accelerator.
Compost heaps don't actually need to be dug over, but it can help break up compacted layers and lumps, adds air, improves drainage, and speeds things up.
So, good luck with your anty bin!
John

As for my heaps, I bring back over 150kg of fruit and veg a week on my bike trailer and this makes my 40+ compost systems a bit on the damp side. However, many of them are in tumblers which are well drained (hence the drips!) and others are raised up off the ground on pallets. I do add wood chips, shredded hedge, sawdust and cardboard.
J
John Cossham
John Cossham

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 27th May 2011, 12:51 pm

Compostman keeps on covering up the bins with straw and chicken poo in them...I need the moisture in them so I have to put up signs saying "leave off"!!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 27th May 2011, 12:52 pm

I also have a "Wee here" sign, for bins which need added urine.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cossham 27th May 2011, 4:53 pm

How incredibly organised. I'm the only person who uses my multitudinous heaps so I know what's what.

Yours sounds like a good system!
John Cossham
John Cossham

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 27th May 2011, 6:59 pm

John Cossham wrote:How incredibly organised. I'm the only person who uses my multitudinous heaps so I know what's what.

Yours sounds like a good system!

Well it seems to work, at least.

Have split off the " how many bins" etc posts into a separate thread!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 25th June 2012, 12:20 pm

I turned a compost heap at the lotty at the weekend. I have a couple of old pallet type heaps there, so about a cubic metre, and it usually works as a slow, cold heap - this one was mostly composted but a bit heavy and wet, as you might imagine given the weather.

I'd like to reduce the weed population by hotting up my compost, and sometimes it happens, but - there are a few things in the normal composting instructions I don't seem to be able to get right.

To get a hot heap, apparently I should try to build a heap in one go. Nice idea, but where do I get a cubic metre of stuff all at once ? Instructions often say to save stuff up until there is enough to build a hot heap, but asking nicely does not seem to be enough to stop the saved up material starting to compost before I'm ready to build my heap. Is it just not possible on my scale ?

Now, having got my 1m3 bin filled (in stages) and half composted, and then turn it. I now have less than half a bin left ! Do I top it up with fresh material, or start a new bin ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 25th June 2012, 7:20 pm

I think that sounds like two questions. Personally if it was me, I would put the compost you've made into another container (I use a wooden box which was a huge tool box on wheels from Ikea, about a metre in length, and a bit less wide/high.) This takes what comes out of a plastic dalek compost bin after it has composted. It than has a chance to dry out a bit, as the wood breaths more than plastic, then I start the bin going afresh. When I use the stuff from the wooden box I sieve it, and the uncomposted stuff goes back into the dalek for a bit more rotting.
The bit about heating the compost up - I would say that most people don't have anough waste to create a hot compost bin. Garden Organic say that most people produce a mix, in that sometimes the bin is hot but mostly cold. The thing which I find makes the bin heat up is comfrey - I have a little patch of it, from which some feeds the chickens, some is fermenting to make liquid feed, but the rest gets cut and put on the compost heap.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 25th June 2012, 10:12 pm

Ooh, Dandelion, you sound very well organised. I have pretty much the same issues as Chilli-head. I have three wooden compost bins, each about 1 cubic metre. I tend to keep going until one is full, then start on a new one. It takes quite a time to fill one, so by the time a second is nearly full, the first is fairly well composted at the bottom at least. So I take off the uncomposted/semi-composted material from the top and add it to the newer heap.

I haven't attempted to use any of my compost for seedlings - it just tends to get added to the plots or used in potato planters. It is usually too variable to do much else with. I do tend to take the view however, that it is going to rot down eventually (unless I inadvertantly add couch grass to it, which I swear never, ever dies).
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next