A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

Trade description Hca_button

Trade description

+3
Hairyloon
mark barker
Lottie
7 posters

Go down

Trade description Empty Trade description

Post by Lottie 1st December 2010, 10:05 am

I had a thunk the other day, not much of one, just a little one and wondered why this doesn't apply to politics?

If I bought an iron and it says on the pack, "Will make things flat and uncreased" then I open it and it burns everything of makes it creasier and then blows up, I can get my money back as it is "not fit for purpose..." if I pay a window cleaner to clean my windows (I wish.. Laughing Rolling Eyes ), and he actually comes along and throws mud on them, I believe I am within my rights not to pay him, as he's not performing the task I hired him for.... so why, pray enlighten me... when you vote for the Lib Dems, or any party that makes a pledge, can you not turn round and say "Oi you've not done what you promised, on yer bake?" I don't get it... Embarassed Companies have to be soooo careful on how they advertise their products or services, numerous bodies exist t enforce them.

Is there nothing to bind a politician to their word? Is it not obtaining goods (ie our vote) through fraudulent means, (ie lying?) Not a verbal contract? Anything?
Lottie
Lottie

http://www.lilypads.biz/

Back to top Go down

Trade description Empty Re: Trade description

Post by mark barker 1st December 2010, 11:18 am

Given that the current government never made any claims or promises (the coalition never stood for election) I guess they've not actually done anything wrong.....
mark barker
mark barker

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 1st December 2010, 11:57 am

mark barker wrote:Given that the current government never made any claims or promises (the coalition never stood for election) I guess they've not actually done anything wrong.....
There are a lot of students who voted Lib-Dem who might argue with you on that.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie 1st December 2010, 12:05 pm

mark barker wrote:Given that the current government never made any claims or promises (the coalition never stood for election) I guess they've not actually done anything wrong.....

I voted for lib dems so that my children may have a chance at University without coming out with huge amounts of debt,. If I hadn't voted Lib dem on that premise they would not be in the position to be in government as a coillition, therefore, to my mind, they got there through deceipt, and if they aren't gong to deliver what they say on their packet, I want my money back... Twisted Evil Laughing or my vote again... Rolling Eyes I guess what I'm trying to say is... if there is no law to ensure that people don't obtain votes through deception, what is going to stop me from going for election by promisng an end to World poverty, no carbon emissions and free chocolate for all... Neutral
Lottie
Lottie

Back to top Go down

Post by mark barker 1st December 2010, 3:17 pm

Lottie wrote:what is going to stop me from going for election by promisng an end to World poverty, no carbon emissions and free chocolate for all... Neutral
I'd vote for you! Laughing Chocolate is always a winner!

I'm not a fan of any politicians, but I do think the coalition folks have been given a hard time before they've had the chance to show us what they can do. Not living upto election blurb is nothing new, in fact I think you'd be hard pushed to find a recent government that has...

As for the tuition fees, I think that the whole thing has been blown totally out of proportion by the media, but thats only my opinion!
mark barker
mark barker

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 1st December 2010, 3:30 pm

Lottie wrote:I want my money back... Twisted Evil Laughing or my vote again... Rolling Eyes
Best I can offer you is a local referendum. But if you add up enough local referenda, then you can cover the whole constituency...

If Sheffield student's are not a bunch of apathetic whingers, then young Mr Clegg could be in trouble: there is one Community Assembly that covers most of his constituency. Mad
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie 2nd December 2010, 10:13 am

mark barker wrote: Not living up to election blurb is nothing new, in fact I think you'd be hard pushed to find a recent government that has...

!

Well it blessed well should be....hurrumph, or what is the point in having any policy at all, if you can change your mind at the last minute! It's like Tempting you with my choccy promise.... ooohh yes, I promise you all the choccy you can eat if you vote for me..... honest injun..... Twisted Evil Laughing and then saying..oops sorry did I say choccy? I actually meant poo... Neutral you wouldn't be happy... would you? She asks worriedly... Shocked
But thanks for the vote... Laughing

HL, waht about this recal thingy, is that set in stone yet? I may be forced to write a letter soon.... Shocked
Lottie
Lottie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 2nd December 2010, 11:34 am

Lottie wrote:HL, waht about this recal thingy, is that set in stone yet? I may be forced to write a letter soon.... Shocked
Is the Pope Jewish?
I have not heard anything about it since the election, except a discussion on another forum in relation to student protests... in their case, they don't really need a change in the law: they could go the way I suggested earlier.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie 2nd December 2010, 11:49 am

Hairyloon wrote:
Lottie wrote:HL, waht about this recal thingy, is that set in stone yet? I may be forced to write a letter soon.... Shocked
Is the Pope Jewish?
I have not heard anything about it since the election, except a discussion on another forum in relation to student protests... in their case, they don't really need a change in the law: they could go the way I suggested earlier.

The Pope? I think he's undecided at the min.... Laughing Wink

Soo yet another no show then, my list of hurrumphs in getting longer, I may have to turn over a new page in my naughty book.... Twisted Evil

I dunno, they wonder why voters are apathetic, what is the point when you don't ever get what you voted for??? I always vote, by the way, before someone hits me over the noggin with a ballot box.... Rolling Eyes , but I am reaching the point where I don't know who to vote for or who to believe... and that's sad... Neutral
Lottie
Lottie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 2nd December 2010, 1:50 pm

Lottie wrote:Soo yet another no show then, my list of hurrumphs in getting longer, I may have to turn over a new page in my naughty book.... Twisted Evil
Hey, don't rely on me as a source of current affairs: I was about to kick off about the lack of a referendum on electoral reform. :?
It may be a half arsed reform, but it does meet their promise.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d 2nd December 2010, 2:16 pm

My favorite political quip comes from the TV show Futurama.

Mila: "Sure the two candidates are cloned from the same DNA, but they have some key differences on issues"

Television Debate-

John Jackson: "I say your proposed three percent tax increase goes too far!"

Jack Johnson: "And I say your proposed three percent tax increase doesn't go too far enough!"
mr_sfstk8d
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie 2nd December 2010, 3:45 pm

Laughing

Bout sums it up.....

Unfortunately, HL, I made you my politically aware mentor about 3 years ago, you're gonna have to screw up big time to get out of it now...... Twisted Evil til I disagree with you that is..... then anything could happen.... death

Lottie
Lottie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 2nd December 2010, 10:39 pm

Well, if you're going to be like that, then look out: the Revolution is coming. Shocked
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie 3rd December 2010, 9:07 am

Where! Shocked

Do I have time for a cuppa? I'm parched... Laughing Wink
Lottie
Lottie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 3rd December 2010, 8:37 pm

DD1 sent a forthright letter to Nick Clegg expressing her disappointment with the coalition's stance on student tuition fees, and specifically berating the Lib Dems for their u-turn on this topic. She said at the end of the letter 'Don't bother to reply unless you can give me a concrete reason to vote for the Lib dems in the future.' It's been four weeks, and no reply yet.......
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 3rd December 2010, 8:50 pm

I remember being a Labour party member and activist .....and resigning a week in after May 1 1997 due to 2 huge U turns...the BNRR and Tuition fees ( from none) being given the go ahead ...

Nothing changes even 13 years on.........

They ALL lie.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 3rd December 2010, 10:23 pm

The abandonment of Clause 4 was the beginning of the end for me the Invasion of Iraq the absolute end.

I have come to the conclusion that there is now no political party that represent my ethical and political core, it saddens me but there you are.

I read this week that our Federal environment minister is an AGW denier and has actively worked against Canadas commitment to Kyoto, that was the final nail for me. I will continue to work in my local community but I don't believe that we will ever persuade our "leaders" to think about anything but oil interests...
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 3rd December 2010, 11:58 pm

I agree...I now work only on local stuff and actively eschew any wider politiccing...I am so disenchanted with politics, so I only do stuff which I know will benefit my local area.........

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 4th December 2010, 12:07 am

The only suggestion I've got is that we all have the power to call a local referendum.
If we can hold enough local referenda to provide a representative sample, they would struggle to ignore it...
Not sure what question we should be voting on mind; just a general vote of no confidence? Or a full on vote to depose Parliament?
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down