A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Ethical self sufficiency, thoughts welcome Hca_button

Ethical self sufficiency, thoughts welcome

4 posters

Go down

Ethical self sufficiency, thoughts welcome Empty Ethical self sufficiency, thoughts welcome

Post by Hathorite 23rd January 2011, 8:30 am

ruled moot by the Ruling Class

Last edited by Hathorite on 23rd January 2011, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hathorite
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Ethical self sufficiency, thoughts welcome Empty Re: Ethical self sufficiency, thoughts welcome

Post by Kristy lee 23rd January 2011, 9:49 am

It is a bit of a quandrie.

I've always been a big fan of the slow food movement so i would say to stick to what is there and local.

Though in saying that i've never been to the UK and a few friends tell me that it gets really really difficult to find more variety and they miss too many foods from home. They all come home skinny and put loads of weight on when back here lol
Kristy lee
Kristy lee

Back to top Go down

Ethical self sufficiency, thoughts welcome Empty Re: Ethical self sufficiency, thoughts welcome

Post by Hathorite 23rd January 2011, 10:09 am

Up till recently, variety was non-existent. It's all stews and roasts and so forth; if I put anything more adventurous than salt and pepper on a roast my ex would refuse to eat it as "that's just not done here"! The bistro culture is trying to inject a bit of variety into things but most people feel that's just for the "snobs" and the only proper British meal requires mash, meat and pudding, end of. It can be quite good, agreed, but I can't eat like that all the time unless I want to risk making myself ill (something I can't quite seem to get through the heads of social services - it's a fine line whether a bout of IBS is necessarily better than starvation sometimes!)

I've even had to kill the slow-food thing for a while as I was finding it difficult to cut veggies late last year. I can't peel foods anymore at all as my hands lock and cramp so I've either had to just cook it as is, only be able to prepare food when I can handle a knife without hurting myself or (horrors!!!) buy it prechopped and bagged at the store. Ugh. I hate even typing that, but even using a slicing food processor doesn't always solve the problem.

I was actually thinking of New Zealand and Australia in this regard - importing cats, rabbits and so on was amazingly devastating to the indigenous wildlife and ecosystems of those countries and I am very fond of England - I'd hate to contribute to the loss of plants most people seem to have forgotten even exist here, mulberries and medlars being my main passions at the moment. Most people in the UK have never had either of these, don't even know what they are, and that's a shame.

Hathorite
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 23rd January 2011, 10:19 am

Hathorite wrote:Up till recently, variety was non-existent. It's all stews and roasts and so forth; if I put anything more adventurous than salt and pepper on a roast my ex would refuse to eat it as "that's just not done here"! The bistro culture is trying to inject a bit of variety into things but most people feel that's just for the "snobs" and the only proper British meal requires mash, meat and pudding, end of. now what they are, and that's a shame.

Err, what? Is it still 1956 where you live?
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristy lee 23rd January 2011, 10:22 am

what are medlars?

I love love love mulberries
Kristy lee
Kristy lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Hathorite 23rd January 2011, 10:25 am

It's still 1956 in a lot of places in England! Twisted Evil Sorry, Billy, I knew the cries of "But we don't do that!" would start up but I'm sure I didn't imagine the week in hospital because my body couldn't take the food! It's been a problem for me since I came here and I've had to be really careful, but I remember when I came in that the only "salad" I could manage to get was iceberg lettuce with a bit of radish in it, and that was it. Anything like rocket, etc was "foreign", but then so was I so such barbarism was tolerated with amusement. Great that a few people buck the trend but it doesn't mean the trend doesn't exist, which is a bit of a bummer but there you are.

Medlars are rather interesting, they came into vogue during Victorian times but are rather rare to find now. They have to essentially soften up (rot, if you will) before they're edible, called "bletting". Here's a photo:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

They're just fascinating and I want to grow one just for the opportunity. There are some recipes for medlar fudge (called "medlar cheese" because it is pressed you can find that [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) and preserves, and are apparently an "acquired taste" - rather like marmite I suppose but that's another subject entirely!

I've also yet to have a quince - yes, yes, I know! (hangs head) and yellow plums are still something I'm pursuing as well though I haven't come across them since I inquired about them last year. I only just tried gooseberries last year, never had them before and I wasn't quite sure about them once I had! I'm debating experimenting with them for sauces and things this year.

I guess the thing is there's a lot of stuff out there which could appease my fruit needs if I just learned a bit more about them.
Hathorite
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 23rd January 2011, 10:42 am

I don't think hospital food and the dinner preferences of your ex are necessarily indicative of the eating habits of the nation any more than American cuisine being limited to McDonalds and apple pie.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Hathorite 23rd January 2011, 10:46 am

Thanks for your input, Billy.

Anyone else?
Hathorite
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristy lee 23rd January 2011, 10:49 am

thanks for that hathorite that sure seem to be very interesting
Kristy lee
Kristy lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 23rd January 2011, 11:48 am

Hathorite wrote:Thanks for your input, Billy.

You are welcome, Hathorite. Correcting foreigners misconceptions of British cuisine is always a pleasure, never a chore.

If you have a supermarket near you, you will find that such exotic items as yellow plums, rocket, chard, frisee, sweet potatoes and even fish and blueberries widely available. In large part because British people purchase and eat them.

Eating imported products has been fairly standard for several hundred years. Otherwise we would not have tea or coffee or oranges or rice. Eating non-indigenous species likewise, otherwise we would not have much in the way of pork or chickens. You could perhaps resolve your dilemma by eating blueberries grown in the UK in controlled situations.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Hathorite 23rd January 2011, 11:52 am

Well as soon as I see a foreigner that needs correcting I'll be sure to let you know.
Hathorite
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 23rd January 2011, 11:59 am

Oh, I am very sorry. I thought you said you were from the States.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Hathorite 23rd January 2011, 12:02 pm

Since it seems the "a foreigner has no right to speak" thing has cropped up, I'll just be removing my post.
Hathorite
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 23rd January 2011, 12:08 pm

Where did you get that idea? You stated in response to a question about food in the UK that

Up till recently, variety was non-existent. It's all stews and roasts and so forth

I challenged that assertion.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 23rd January 2011, 12:17 pm

Topic is now locked and edit button now disabled indefinitely.

Four points:

1. I respectfully request that members do NOT remove originating posts, the removal of originating posts renders a topic senseless and pointless and makes my job difficult...

2. Forum disagreements happen, forum disagreements are healthy. If you make a controversial assertion, be prepared to back it up and be prepared to be challenged..

3. Forum Mods, unless indicting otherwise, post in there own capacity as regular members of the forum. If a Mod is modding - they will indicate and post in red...

4. There is NO forum ruling class. The only authority here is me and I wield it very very very very very very rarely and very lightly...

Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down