A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

The People's supermarket (Channel 4 TV programe) Hca_button

The People's supermarket (Channel 4 TV programe)

3 posters

Go down

The People's supermarket (Channel 4 TV programe) Empty The People's supermarket (Channel 4 TV programe)

Post by Jaded Green 23rd February 2011, 9:29 pm

I was wondering if anyone has been watching this and what you think?

I've seen the first two episodes Although I think it's a great idea, I think a lot of the criticism Arthur has come in for about making it too "middle class", organic and expensive is right. I would really like to see it work, but he does need to stock the pizza and chips Josie mentioned. In fact he should get Josie to plan the stock for him!

For a supermarket to succeed it has got to appeal to everyone, whatever their income and whatever they like to eat. One mustn't make judgments about other people's diets and preferences. I couldn't get over the woman who responded to the request for chips with "Can't you make them?"

I also think the idea that everyone must be a member to shop there is making a rod for his back. He could have got some financial backing if he was not so committed to this idea. Mary Portas tweeted that she thought it was brilliant and would like to join but was not sure she could spare 4 hours a month to work there.

But it's a good GREEN idea and he's a lovely man.

Lamb's Conduit Street isn't too far from where I work and I may visit it one evening.
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

The People's supermarket (Channel 4 TV programe) Empty Re: The People's supermarket (Channel 4 TV programe)

Post by Compostwoman 23rd February 2011, 10:42 pm

His model sounds very similar to the Out of this World chain of shops ....I think there is still one in Beeston, but the rest finally went bust...I invested in them as it was a Really Good Idea and was a members Co op etc ...and you had to join to shop there...but sadly it went under a few years back.

I suspect he is running into similar issues....where people who are passionate about stuff have a bit of a hard time understanding those who are not. Which isn't very viable in a supermarlet environment....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

The People's supermarket (Channel 4 TV programe) Empty Re: The People's supermarket (Channel 4 TV programe)

Post by Jaded Green 1st March 2011, 8:56 pm

Just a quick post to say I went and did some shopping at the People's Supermarket today as it is only about 10 minutes away from where I work.

I was pleased to find it quite busy, with lots of customers and volunteers. I got there around 1.30, so I imagine quite a few customers were on their lunch break.

It was well stocked and had a good range of fruit and veg, salad and herbs. I bought some celeriac, parsnips and carrots. The carrots will need eating quickly. The potatoes all looked good, but I had to take all I bought home on the tube and on foot, so I was limited with what I bought. I was pleased to find cucumbers were only 50p.

Obviously the range of choice is going to be limited but there was the option of buying Cadbury's drinking chocolate or Divine (fair trade) There was quite a lot of "Community foods" stuff, which is simply packaged. And there were also some bins of "fill your own" for lentils, plain flour, white sugar, basmati rice.

I bought a slice of carrot cake from the kitchen which was the best I've ever had.

The shop is smaller than it looks on TV. It was clean and the shelves were stacked neatly, but the "fill you own" bit was not very well placed, displayed or explained and there seemed to be some duplication of display for the cucumbers and other veg. This is a comment not a criticism.

I will go again but I will still need my Ocado deliveries! I've had one tonight because we were running out of soya milk, orange juice and various other heavy things.
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d 1st March 2011, 9:18 pm

Are the delivered groceries common in UK? I worked, briefly, for a startup a number of years ago in Illinois that went bust for lack of public interest. Seems most people in the US would rather burn gasoline driving their boatmobile to the store every time they need a loaf of bread. Sad.
mr_sfstk8d
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 1st March 2011, 9:29 pm

Yes, delivering groceries has become quite a growth area over the last 5 years or so.

I go through phases of using them. They were great when I was working full time. I got less enthusiastic when they started charging for deliveries and some of the slots can be quite expensive but I was offered a good deal on a one year "season ticket"

I like to see my meat before I buy it so on the whole I use them for staples and heavy or bulky stuff. And I had a lot of boxes of eggs with one cracked so tend to buy eggs from the shop. Some of the shelf lives can be a bit short. I did have some eggs delivered last month and discovered that their best before date was only a week after deliver; those I buy in the shop would be two weeks or more.

And one tends to avoid impulse buys!
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down