A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

The magazine rack Hca_button

The magazine rack

2 posters

Go down

The magazine rack Empty The magazine rack

Post by Chilli-head 1st April 2011, 1:27 pm

Over time I've done a fair bit of woodworking, but most of what I have made has been fairly straightforward designs - "Shaker" style, predominantly right angles and straight lines. Most of what I know comes from watching my dad years ago, and "O" level woodwork ! So, looking for something to educate and inspire me with new styles and techniques, I've had a look at some of the magazines out there. First up, "British Woodworking".

British Woodworking, Feb/Mar '11, 76 pages (of which ~10 advertising) £3.75.

This one seems to lean toward tutorial / "how to" type articles, with some good stuff for beginners - planing, cutting a lap joint, etc. A bit light on projects perhaps with just two. The "beginner" project is a Shaker candle stand table - although the author uses it as a project to make with his son, it is fairly tricky with a turned leg, and router cut dovetails. The second "pro" project - a wardrobe, also features a lot of machine tooling - router for dovetailing and panel raising, biscuit joints ... It could be that I'm a bit of a Luddite, but I'd prefer to see more handworking. A "Gallery" section features furniture by top professionals - wow, certainly something to aspire to !

Anyone take any workshop related magazines they would like to recommend ? Mine for next month is "Fine Woodworking" from USA. Not finished reading it yet ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

The magazine rack Empty Re: The magazine rack

Post by Chilli-head 26th April 2011, 5:58 pm

Just finished reading the May/June issue ( Exclamation ) of Fine Woodworking. This is the sort of thing I've been looking for, a some quite inspiring designs in here. It is a US magazine (Taunton Press), which does mean UK readers like me have to be happy with imperial units, and the adverts aren't all terribly relevant, but I can handle that. What a range of approaches - a fair space given over to techniques of power tool use (cutting dovetails with router and bandsaw - my school woodwork teacher would turn in his grave) but also an article about making a pair of wooden bodied grooving planes !

Some very nice stuff in the reader's gallery, a lovely Japanese inspired table and a wonderful curvy chair made from laminated wood. Just what I need to inspire me to move beyond very rectangular designs. The rocking chair project looks a bit challenging yet though.

Useful website too, and a lot of plans on line, a few free to non-subscribers. All the usual stuff - gallery, even a forum ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 6th June 2011, 11:06 pm

I've just finished reading the latest (June/July) issue of British Woodworking. Some things in there that might interest folks - an article on building a Mike Abbot shave horse, mention of the Bodgers' ball (with a picture of Robin Wood wielding a Japanese adze !). The issue is devoted to frugal woodworking, and as such covers old tools - buying second hand planes, and electrolytic rust removal. There is an article about sourcing wood on the cheap - solutions range from sawing up trees Surprised to skip diving - which some of us are very familiar with Embarassed

Nice coffee table design too. Not sure about turning the legs with a plane though - would have thought it was a good way of wrecking the plane by overheating the blade, and a halfway decent wood turner could do it without a jig !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 6th June 2011, 11:11 pm

It is published by the same crew who do "Living Woods" so am not surprised. I was at the Robin Wood demo ( have video of it!!) It was amazing!

I have an adze, an africal one, it is a bit scary to use....Cm gets all twitch when I take off the cover... Shocked
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th April 2012, 4:04 pm

The current issue of British Woodworking comes with a guide to "Wood based courses" - Woodcrafts, Furniture making, Bushcraft and Forestry. It includes those by Guy Mallinson and Mike Abbot, amongst many more. Temptation ... Very Happy
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 1st June 2018, 4:44 pm

Just to share the info that Living Woods magazine can now be downloaded for free !

See here:

https://www.woodlands.co.uk/living-woods-magazine/

You may not know, but Nick Gibbs, former editor of Living Woods and British Woodworking suffered a head injury in a cycling accident in 2014, so I imagine the magazine may have changed a bit. I do get a sniff of product placement, which is presumably how it is now funded. But hey, it still has some decent content.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 12th August 2018, 7:55 pm

I know it is probably just me, but I've been enjoying Mortise and Tenon magazine. It's not actually what you'd expect for a magazine, it is weighty, twice yearly, and beautifully presented, with few adverts. It hails from USA, the editor being Joshua Klein, a welk known furniture maker and conservator from Maine. What I love about it is the focus on hand tools, and the furniture itself - the craft and design styles. Most other woodworking magazines seen to be full of adverts, advice for using power tools - usually thinly veiled product placement !

Klein even uses a pole lathe - in fact I got my inspiration for my last chair from here.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down