A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

Glue-ups: or - can you guess what it is yet ? Hca_button

Glue-ups: or - can you guess what it is yet ?

+2
Adrian
Chilli-head
6 posters

Go down

Glue-ups: or - can you guess what it is yet ? Empty Glue-ups: or - can you guess what it is yet ?

Post by Chilli-head 7th April 2011, 10:53 am

Here's a current project I've just glued up.  I've had to do it in a hurry because C-H Jnr wants it ASAP.  It's made entirely from offcuts of oak I had to hand, and almost entirely without power tools, as I enjoy the tranquility of hand work (see my woodworking unplugged thread).  Your challenge is to guess the exact purpose of the piece.  I've scattered in some clues to help.
Glue-ups: or - can you guess what it is yet ? Pt110

The first end frame glued up, and a pile of bits.  It has to be quite strong, enough to support about 70kg, I reckon, hence chunky twin mortice and tenon joints.  The diminished haunch at the top helps keep things in line (it doesn't really need to be diminished, a standard haunch would have done but I wanted to practice).  All those grooves and rebates were cut with an old Record 050C plough plane and a Stanley 78 rebate plane.
Glue-ups: or - can you guess what it is yet ? Pt210

The top fits inside a rebate leaving a raised lip all round.  A piece of marine ply forms a concealed shelf underneath the top with access holes cut through the the back rail (using a 2" holesaw and a coping saw) to keep things tidy.

Glue-ups: or - can you guess what it is yet ? Pt310

All done.  The boards that make up the top are tongue and grooved together, and sit into a groove in the rails. They have just a dab of glue in the middle of the end of each board, and I've deliberately left a small gap between each board for movement - it is likely to get a little bit wet from time to time.

It will now get a clean up, and be finished with Osmo Polyx oil - I love this stuff, it gives a hard smooth finish like a satin varnish, but is still feels like wood, it resists water, and best of all you can do spot repairs on scratches etc without re-finishing the whole thing.

Any ideas ?  At least three good clues above.  I'll post a spoiler later when it's in use.

Last edited by Chilli-head on 31st May 2018, 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Glue-ups: or - can you guess what it is yet ? Empty Re: Glue-ups: or - can you guess what it is yet ?

Post by Adrian 7th April 2011, 11:29 am

Is it a computer case mod?
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Glue-ups: or - can you guess what it is yet ? Empty Re: Glue-ups: or - can you guess what it is yet ?

Post by Chilli-head 7th April 2011, 1:21 pm

A handmade wooden computer case. I love the idea, it would capture a lot of the paradox which is my lifestyle Very Happy . I might even make one ! But no, it's not.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 7th April 2011, 4:20 pm

Not a clue, but it does look nice. Laughing
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 7th April 2011, 4:30 pm

A DVD/CD cabinet, but with a table on top - hence the allusion to getting wet ( spilt drinks?)
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 7th April 2011, 4:41 pm

OR a fish tank holder?

Whaterver it is, I guess it has cables going inside through the holes you cut?
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 7th April 2011, 4:59 pm

Hah ! Well done CW, you have it with your second guess - it is a stand for an aquarium, and the holes/shelf are somewhere to hide the cabling/multiway adaptor for light/heater/pump. C-H Jnr has acquired a 60 litre tank (hence the 70kg load) from his cousin, and wants to get it set up over the Easter break. I'll try to remember to take a photo when the fish are in.

I will have to give fewer clues with the next one Smile
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 7th April 2011, 5:11 pm

Chilli-head wrote:Hah ! Well done CW, you have it with your second guess - it is a stand for an aquarium, and the holes/shelf are somewhere to hide the cabling/multiway adaptor for light/heater/pump. C-H Jnr has acquired a 60 litre tank (hence the 70kg load) from his cousin, and wants to get it set up over the Easter break. I'll try to remember to take a photo when the fish are in.

I will have to give fewer clues with the next one Smile

I was thinking DVD/CD player plus table but then realised the object would be too heavy.

THEN I wondered just why the top needed to be re bated, and what 70 Kg item it could hold, needing the electric cables ( see photos) but with water around Shocked ( oil clue)

Only things which came to mind that a child might use Shocked were various pet tanks, so frogs, snakes or fish....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d 7th April 2011, 6:21 pm

Brilliant. I love this build.

BTW, I have seen both hardwood case mods as well as veneer on conventional PC cases. They're an interesting effect.

I've also seen a VERY high end speaker made by an artisan audiophile in Japan who soaks hardwood veneer in saki for an extended period of time to form the cones for the speakers. I can only guess at the rich dimensional tone these beauties produce.
mr_sfstk8d
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 7th April 2011, 8:40 pm

mr_sfstk8d wrote:Brilliant. I love this build.

BTW, I have seen both hardwood case mods as well as veneer on conventional PC cases. They're an interesting effect.

I've also seen a VERY high end speaker made by an artisan audiophile in Japan who soaks hardwood veneer in saki for an extended period of time to form the cones for the speakers. I can only guess at the rich dimensional tone these beauties produce.

Oh Gods, do not let Compostman see this or he will want to build one Very Happy ...he was an audio engineer for a hi fi company when younger, has never stopped interest and making things since and is slowly building some speakers of his own......when he finds the odd nanosecond of his own, from renovations....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 8th April 2011, 11:39 am

As good a use as any for Sake, I suppose Laughing
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie 8th April 2011, 1:17 pm

Hmmm.. is it one of them there football game thingies? Like Joey and Chandler had? Laughing

Whatever it is, it's bootiful Very Happy
Lottie
Lottie

http://www.lilypads.biz/

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d 8th April 2011, 2:19 pm

Mmmmm... Audio Engineer... How do I get THAT gig?? I'd love it.

Does he ever identify a song on the raido, down to the studio it was recorded in, by the lead in gap before the music starts? I've done that more than twice, lol. I think I've got the ear for it. I'm an audiophile and a perfectionist. So, what that means is I've got carp stuff in my house, and car, because I know I can't afford the stuff I REALLY want, lol.
mr_sfstk8d
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 3rd May 2011, 10:01 pm

First four nervous looking glowlight Tetra arrived this afternoon to test out the waters.  They are too small to make out in the photo, of course ... but here is the aquarium on it's stand.  Of course the "features" in the tank are C-H Jnr's choice.  Excuse the extraneous Lego in shot ...
Glue-ups: or - can you guess what it is yet ? Tank10

I made the mantel piece from the same piece of oak.  Originally this fireplace had a nasty gas fire in it; I opened it to the builder's opening, tiled the hearth (mosaics are from Fired earth I have to admit, not homemade).  I made a steel closure plate for the chimney and rendered with a lime putty based plaster, finished with limewash,  in case we ever want to put a second stove in here.  But for now, the fish tank fits nicely.

Last edited by Chilli-head on 31st May 2018, 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 3rd May 2011, 10:12 pm

And very nice it looks too. Well done Glue-ups: or - can you guess what it is yet ? 506122
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down