A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Pallet remakes Hca_button

Pallet remakes

+6
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
MrsC
Chilli-head
Sparhawk
Compostwoman
Adrian
10 posters

Go down

Pallet remakes Empty Pallet remakes

Post by Adrian 10th April 2011, 12:13 pm

AS spring seems to be having her wicked way with us, I thought it would be nice to share some pallet based remakes, chairs and such forth..

I will start with a deceptively simple Hanging Pallet Chair/hammock..
Its so simple, I don't really think it needs a how to.

Pallet remakes 50199010
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Pallet remakes Empty Re: Pallet remakes

Post by Compostwoman 11th April 2011, 8:03 am

You are joking about the " simple" bit, right? Shocked

How did you make it?? It is lovely, btw.

I will take a photo of my pallet potting bench and pallet staging, when I can find my camera....seem to have mislaid it somewhere... Shocked
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 11th April 2011, 9:11 am

Thats a cracker, went car booting yesterday & managed to pick up a car jack for £1 for an idea I have to split pallets...

It must be the time of year for loosing cameras, cant find mine either...
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 11th April 2011, 12:29 pm

I like the seat Very Happy Once you've cut and drilled the wood you could set a small person threading the string I guess - it is a bit like those sew and lace cards !

I guess you need to be fairly picky over which pallets you use - most of the ones I can get are made out of pretty poor wood, and not well seasoned so that they are twisted and split. And getting those serrated nails out without destroying them is tough, even with a good wrecking bar. I was left with enough bits for a bird table ...

I've had good success with other re-claimed wood though. Divan beds and sofas often have quie a bit of useable wood in them too. I used an old double divan to make a stool and a garden gate.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC 11th April 2011, 1:10 pm

That is seriously beautiful Badger!

Mrs C
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 11th April 2011, 1:29 pm

Be sure only to use pallets that have been condemned as no longer fit for purpose though - the amount of new pallets manufactured every year because perfectly good ones are taken out of circulation is quite shocking.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 11th April 2011, 1:43 pm

Good point there, Billy.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 11th April 2011, 2:48 pm

This could be part of the reason I've not had much luck with pallet wood - I only have had single use type pallets which are pretty light and rough.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 12th April 2011, 9:05 am

Whenever I've been around palletting most of them new or not have been waiting to be thrown, they tell me they can't return or reuse them, the only ones I have been told get returned/reused as pallets are the ones with blue sides...
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Luath 12th April 2011, 2:27 pm

That's rather lovely Very Happy I'm investigating pallet beds lol
Luath
Luath

http://unboughtdelicacies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d 12th April 2011, 3:52 pm

I'll say again, if I hadn't already, that's a fine looking project. I love that you've taken something that would otherwise have gone to waste and made something lovely of it.

That type of disposable attititude is what I see of the pallets used here often as well Spar. Only the ones that are built to a certain rating are reusable. The lesser, unrated ones are single use for what's shipped on them. Kind of like a carboard box being only thick enough to hold the intended contents, not a load of nuts and bolts or what have you. It's one of the mysteries of materials packaging science, I suppose.

About the only saving grace I see in the plant that I work is that the used pallets and crates don't go to landfill. No pallets or wood of any sort is allowed in the dunnage bins. Anything not suitable for reuse is piled up in a specified area of the load yard. Periodically an outfit comes in with a monstrous grinding machine and pulverizes it all. Nails, staples, etc. (it can handle bolts up to 1" [2.5 cm] in diameter!) get magnetically seperated for recycling. The wood product is then sold off to recycling, etc. Indefinite reuse would be ideal, but minimized landfill mass is at least a part measure.

On a related note, once my Dad had acquired a great bobbin (spool, I know) from the electric company running new cable. It was a fine size for a round picknick table for the back garden. He coated it with creosote, let it cure nearly a year like this, then we sealed it and painted it. I imagine it would live forever after all of that!! The only thing that worries me now is what I know about the chemicals that went into that wood, both before we got it and what we treated it with. We never ate off of it without a table cloth, but now that I know better, I worry about things like arsenic, etc. Nowadays, I'm all for non-chemically treated lumber, only using natural preservatives such as linseed oil or something. But if I'm to use something reclaimed, free, offcuts, whatever, I try to make sure that the lumber is non-arsenic treated. And nothing that I can't fully acount for goes into the garden fire ring. Those ashes are used for ammendments.

Just my two bits worth. Keep up the lovely work!!
mr_sfstk8d
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by queen of string 14th April 2011, 4:55 pm

We get a great supply of pallets from our local newspaper. They pile up any that cant be reused and they're free to take. They also have these huge round spools, I keep looking at them wistfully, but have always needed a full load of pallets whenever we have been there. In my fantasy, we get there one day and there are no pallets just spools Smile . We use the broken bits for fire lighting and the better stuff for fencing and compost bins. Going to use the next load for a temporary raised bed. I try not to worry too much about the chemicals, I figure, grown in my garden instead of an industrialised farm is ahead of the game in the first place.
queen of string
queen of string

Back to top Go down

Post by sanity4sale 16th May 2011, 5:20 pm

http://lifeonthebalcony.com/how-to-turn-a-pallet-into-a-garden/

I'd love to try this project! Smile Has anybody else heard of the difference between heat-treated and fumigated pallets? Evidently they mark the pallets depending on how they're created:

http://www.palnetusa.com/a/global-domestic-pallet-standards/intl-pallet-standards/what-every-buyer-needs-to-know.tpl

Evidently you want the stamp HT instead of MP, since MP means it's been covered in some sort of nasty chemical. Just fyi.
sanity4sale
sanity4sale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum