A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) Hca_button

Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!)

+2
polgara
GB
6 posters

Go down

Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) Empty Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!)

Post by GB 12th July 2011, 5:22 pm

Here goes!

Laughing Well, THAT didnt work!
GB
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) Empty Re: Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!)

Post by polgara 12th July 2011, 5:28 pm

Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 677282 Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 677282 Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 677282 Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 677282
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) Empty Re: Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!)

Post by GB 12th July 2011, 6:44 pm

Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 00712

My tools for rabbit processing (not including the .22 I use to dispatch them) The two bowls of ice are for meat and the skin. A knife sharpener keeps a keen edge on my paring knife and the pruning shears are for cutting bones. I just tie the rabbit to the gambrel (sp?) but its tops for bigger things so thought I would show it too.

Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 01110

Here is the bunny in my kill cage. Its set on the ground so very little chance of the bullet bouncing off something and hurting me. I let her/him settle down in the cage and then gently put the barrel of my .22 right above her head, between her eyes and ears. Then I pull the trigger. Only once have I missed my shot, the rabbit turned its head just as I pulled the trigger. Both of us were quite surprised, it by the noise, me by the live rabbit looking up at me Laughing A pile of grass or food will usually keep its interest long enough to get a good shot. There are other ways to kill rabbits and I will be experimenting with some of them one day but so far the .22 hasn't failed me.

Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 01210

Here the rabbit has been dispatched and I have cut carefully around the back legs to expose the tendons. I will push a length of cord between the tendon and the bone and tie it to my gambrel or it can be hung or tied to most anything that will allow it to hang at a convenient working height. I count myself very lucky that my hubby had an engine hoist that I can use to raise or lower the animal I am working on.

Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 01310

Here the rabbit is with throat cut to bleed out (although I find a .22 head shot rabbit mostly bleeds out long before I get to this stage) and hung up to work on.

Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 01510

Here I have made one long cut at the back of the legs and gently peeled down to expose the leg meat. I take the skin off in one single piece. Its supposed to make curing the skin easier but as I haven't done that bit yet the jury is still out. I do know it reduces cut areas so loose fur isn't as much of a problem as when I cut the skin down the belly and inside of the legs. Around the tail and anus is a bit tricky so I just cut around the area, leaving the tail and what nots in place.

I gently pull down on the skin cutting any tough bits loose to get to the front legs.

Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 01610

The front legs are a bit fiddly. By pulling down you will get enough loose to get your fingers around the leg. BE CAREFUL you don't just pull the leg right off the body, you want the skin off at this stage, not the entire leg Laughing

Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 01710

Here both front legs are free as is the neck. Next is to cut the skin all the way free of the body and wash it very VERY well in cold water and leave to soak in ice water till your done with the rest of it.

Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 01910

This one isn't too clear - sorry - but what I have done here is every so carefully cut down the belly and then to gently feel where the pelvic bone goes OVER the intestines. Once I have the bone placement I take my pruners and cut both side of the bone free. That way I can cut the tail and remaining fur around the anus free and just pull the entire thing through the opening I made in the bone. That way I have no poo getting loose and very little, if any, pee spillage.

Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 02110

After getting the back end of the guts free I gently (don't get tired of the word GENTLY as without gentleness, you get gut contents on your hands Laughing ) pull the guts out and let them hang free over my gut bucket. My goal is to get the icky bits free of the good bits. I keep the heart, liver and kidneys. Everything else goes in the discard bucket.

Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 02210

And here it is, all clean and ready to be cut loose of the hanger.Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 02410

And here we go, all cut up and in the bowl of ice. As it was 91f when I was doing this rabbit the ice had mostly melted into ice water but no harm in that. Just be sure to get it OUT of the water as soon as you can. You don't want the flavor of the meat leaching into the water.

As I was taking the pictures myself I didn't get the cutting up bit but what I do is to cut the front legs off first. They come off easily if you cut between the body and the shoulder blades. Then I cut the spine into two pieces, first using the knife to cut between the ribs and then the pruners to cut the spine. Then I cut the back legs off of the pelvic bone. Just cut down to the hip socket and then pop the bone free. All you are left with then is the pelvic bone which is tiny but still worth going into the stock pot. I think many people cut them up differently but that's what I do.

So there it is, start to finish about 20 min.
GB
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GB 12th July 2011, 7:04 pm

polgara wrote:Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 677282 Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 677282 Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 677282 Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 677282

Embarassed Laughing My skill is non existant when it comes to this sort of thing Laughing Had to get hubby to show me AGAIN how to post pickies!

Seems to have worked the second time Cool
GB
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 12th July 2011, 7:52 pm

Very interesting GB.

The method I use is slightly different. I don't use a spreader bar for starters and as I am a.) preserving the pelts and b.) generally doing 20-30 rabbits at a time the need for speed is essential.

Also, hunting wild rabbits, paunching is done in the field as soon as possible after death because the heat of the innards will cause the meat to spoil in short order if left until the haul is home

First off I cut very carefully around the anus then pull the sphincter clear of the carcass by a couple of inches to avoid faecal contamination, then a straight slit from stem to stern and pull the rest of the intestines clear. I separate heart and liver and leave the rest on the ground for whatever comes along to eat it.

To skin it, I make a short slit from the centre about halfway up each rear leg then peel the fur off the legs and snap the foot off intact. Then pull the whole thing down the carcass much as you do and repeat for the front legs. If it is a fine specimen I may peel the head in one piece, slicing off each ear at the base, but this is time consuming and the result looks faintly ghoulish so i usually just chop the head off at the top of the neck, then split it with a cleaver to remove the brain for use in tanning.

Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) P1010010

Paunching in the field takes about two minutes. Skinning takes about three assuming I am not keeping the head. Although the wild rabbits I am taking are probably half the size of your reared bunnies. AHrvetsing the meat from the carcass perhaps another five minutes a go.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by GB 12th July 2011, 10:54 pm

My need for speed is pretty high too Billy but as I am only doing one at a time or two at most, its just the heat and mosquitoes I am rushing to get out of Laughing

Honey Bunny should be (fingers crossed) bringing her kits above ground in two to three weeks so a bit more rabbit processing practice in the Autumn Processing a fluffy bunny into meat (WARNING, the title says it all!!!) 91347
GB
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GB 13th July 2011, 5:05 am

Billy, how do you process your skins?
GB
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 13th July 2011, 9:44 am

AH, well I am still learning on the fur-tanning process - I will post a pictorial with the next batch.
I have been brain tanning them, as the rabbits mainly come with brains (although some head shot ones don't... Embarassed ) and I don't want to be playing with sulphuric acid around the kids.
I pin the skins out and scrape off as much extraneous tissue and membrane as possible - this is a fairly hardcore task as the membrane does not want to peel away nicely in one piece. Or even in many pieces. Then I salt them for a couple of days before smearing with brain paste. Then I gently sponge the dried brain off again and the skin is 'cured' but tough. It is then a matter of working it for hours and hours and hours and hours over a piece of wood to break the leather and make it nice and supple. I use a baseball bat.
So far I have had mixed success. Most of the rabbits I take are fairly young, because we are in the first instance taking them for food and want tender meat. Young wild rabbits tend to be quite small and the skin is very thin. This makes it very easy to tear the skin or scrape off too much causing the fur to shed. Other skins seem to shed all their fur for no apparent reason - I can have two seemingly identical ones being processed together and treated in exactly the same way and one will keep its fur and the other shed. I have been experimenting with smoking the skins to set the fur but advice online is conflicting as to whether to do this pre or post tanning.
I would say of about 20 skins I have tanned so far I have perhaps 4 I am proud of with no holes or tears or bald patches, although it is a steep learning curve and I am getting better at it. Also, as I am using my furs for a rope blanket it doesn't matter too much if they have the odd dink - once they are rolled into rope you can't tell the difference.
Where I have kept feet and ears on the skins I pack them in bicarb to dry out which seems to work well.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 13th July 2011, 8:03 pm

Seeing Billy's photo reminds me of the day at DD1's primary school when one of the boys was selling lucky rabbits' feet...ears...and all sorts of other lucky bits. At lunchtime the Head went round with a bucket collecting all the lucky bits and pieces and the young entrepreneur had to pay all the money back!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GB 13th July 2011, 11:05 pm

Dandelion wrote:Seeing Billy's photo reminds me of the day at DD1's primary school when one of the boys was selling lucky rabbits' feet...ears...and all sorts of other lucky bits. At lunchtime the Head went round with a bucket collecting all the lucky bits and pieces and the young entrepreneur had to pay all the money back!!

Thats a bit harsh! Why did the Head take them off the kids?
GB
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 13th July 2011, 11:23 pm

Worried they might all get PTSD? from the eyes following them?

WTF do I know? It all seems mad to me....I used to have a lucky rabbit foot, and my mum had a rabbit tail powder puff to use in her powder compact.......

different times, I guess...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by bronze 14th July 2011, 8:08 am

They were probably fresh(ish) and the head could envisage rotting heads being left in desks
bronze
bronze

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 14th July 2011, 5:39 pm

Yes - sorry, didn't explain properly: there was rather more blood on the lucky appendages than is normal
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GB 15th July 2011, 4:15 am

Dandelion wrote:Yes - sorry, didn't explain properly: there was rather more blood on the lucky appendages than is normal

Ah yes, that would make a difference Laughing
GB
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down