A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

Electric cars - any questions you want answered? Hca_button

Electric cars - any questions you want answered?

4 posters

Go down

Electric cars - any questions you want answered? Empty Electric cars - any questions you want answered?

Post by MrsC 5th April 2012, 8:02 pm

Hope I'm posting this in the right place, if not then please move it boss...

Bit of a strange question for you all, so let me start with an explanation.

A really good friend of mine here in St Albans is currently taking part in a competition in which 10 bloggers each have a Nissan LEAF for a month to drive around in and one of them gets to win one at the end of the month. They've all been asked to blog and tweet about it and have all been set challenges. So for example he was asked to go out and try to buy dinner for four for the same price it takes to charge the car overnight (£1.91). His competition page is here: http://the-big-turn-on.co.uk/challenge/ ... walsh.html if you want a look.

He's offered several of his friends trips in the car to see what it's like. Mr C's already been out in it and was quite impressed. I'm hoping to go out with him soon and was thinking of blogging about it and maybe taking some video footage as well, in particular to try to show how quiet it is compared to a normal petrol or diesel car. My blogging has moved away from "green issues" lately. Not for any real reason other than I spend most of my time running after LMC instead so that's what I've ended up blogging about. However, I thought that this might be a really good opportunity to blog about what having and driving an electric car day to day is really like. I hope to cover all the questions from those that some people might think it silly to ask - like how do you actually charge it, both at home and out and about - as well as looking at the economics (higher upfront cost, service costs, vs lower fuel bills and lower tax etc).

So, are there any questions that you would like answered when I see my friend Alex? Is there anything that you want to know or would like me to show an explanation of on video on my blog?

(As a little disclaimer I'm nothing to do with the people behind this competition or Nissan at all. Alex and his wife are just good friends and I'd obviously love it if they were to win the competition, but I'm also really interested to find out about the car, mainly because it's possibly the closest I'll ever manage to get to owning an electric car myself.)

Many thanks.

Mrs C
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Electric cars - any questions you want answered? Empty Re: Electric cars - any questions you want answered?

Post by Hairyloon 29th October 2012, 11:03 am

I guess it is a little late now to help with the competition...
Are you still open for questions?
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Electric cars - any questions you want answered? Empty Re: Electric cars - any questions you want answered?

Post by MichaelJasman 29th July 2014, 1:53 pm

May I know what is the price range for a Nissan electric car?
MichaelJasman
MichaelJasman

http://www.pvcompare.net/en/database-manufacturers

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 30th July 2014, 11:48 am

This is quite an old thread, and we (unfortunately) haven't seen Mrs C in here for a while, so I think you've missed the chance to ask.  I don't know any more than might be found by Googling, and I guess you can/have tried that.

But - I wonder about the wisdom of electric cars in the current environment.  We are currently in a bit of a hole with electricity generation, trying to match ever rising demand with the need to close coal fired plant and the retirement of ageing nuclear stations.  Enthusiasm for new nuclear is muted and it will take a while to build, and we still have no long term place to put the waste.  Availability of a suitable long term underground storage location with stable geology is a problem, and that's before the fracking bonanza !  And it does not seem like a good time to increase our reliance on Mr Putin's friends at Gazprom ...

And although batteries are quite efficient these days, the combined efficiency of generation/transmission/charging/discharging/electric motor is perhaps surprisingly not a lot different to the efficiency of an internal combustion engine.  

Perhaps time to discourage car use ? But no.  Here come driverless cars ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28551069

This interests me because robotics was my thing (I was once in the Oxford group mentioned).  I don't doubt that it can technically be done, but I await with interest the solutions to the non-technical problems:

Who has liability in an accident ?  Is someone in the car still legally in charge ? Is it the car manufacturer ? The software house ?

What happens when, figuring out that the car must be made to stop to avoid collision, pedestrians decide that they have de-facto priority ?  We'll need something like American jaywalking laws to prevent gridlock in towns.

And the laser scanners, radars etc sticking out of the car - best lock it up at night !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down