A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Knitting in the round Hca_button

Knitting in the round

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Knitting in the round Empty Knitting in the round

Post by Dandelion 3rd January 2015, 10:48 pm

Having given all my circular knitting needles away years ago, because I just didn't think I was going to use them any more, I have begun to replace them again. I learnt to knit on circular needles when i was at art college: there was a Norwegian student on my course, and she taught a few of us. Having gone back to it, I hear that there is now a new technigue, magic loop knitting. has anyone tried it? I've watched a Youtube clip which was quite difficult to follow - I would be interested to know if anyone has heard of it or perfected it!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Knitting in the round Empty Re: Knitting in the round

Post by Ploshkin 4th January 2015, 11:20 am

I have heard of it Dandelion but didn't really understand what it was about.  I got the impression it was to do with having a 'seamless' join but when you knit in the round, whether on 4 needles or  circular  needles that's what you get anyway.  

I wonder if some stuff has got lost over the years - currently getting back into sewing, & looking to see what's new in the intervening years, I'm finding quite a lot of excitement about techniques that I was taught at school and that what I consider to be my basic sewing skills are now regarded as 'couture'.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 4th January 2015, 11:38 am

I think the idea of magic loop knitting is that you can make a seamless 'tube' of knitting (as you do with four needles or a circular needle, as you said P), but you can make a tube of a very small diameter (such as the cuff for a child's glove) on a long circular needle. The benefit would be that you don't need to buy circular needles of different lengths, but could use the same long needle even for small items.
I'll find half an hour sometime when I'm on my own (which is a rarity...) and sit down and watch the youtube clip with needles and wool in hand, and try and fathom it out. It'll be good for my brain ('use it or lose it'...)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 4th January 2015, 11:45 am

I just had another look too and was going to do the same i.e. with needles in hand. I'm sure I've used circular needles in the past for things that don't need the whole length of cable (like necks) without thinking about it but I've not done anything very small like cuffs or socks.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 1st April 2017, 10:07 am

I've dug up this thread because I am indeed magic loop knitting.
I decided to take the plunge and buy a set of Knit Pro interchangeable needles (they screw on to different length cables). I keep talking to people in knitting shops who say how wonderful they are especially if you have arthritic hands (which I don't but I do have carpal tunnel and tendonitis)
I found an interesting Norwegian knitting site called Drops Design with hundreds of free translated patterns, many knitted in the round and set to with a straightforward sweater knitted in the round and top down - a completely new departure for me. I realised that I would need to master magic loop because the circumference of the knitting was going to keep changing and the cable wouldn't necessarily be the right length. I found a tutorial with photographs which was much easier to follow than videos and its so easy. I can see me knitting a lot more like this and I think I will stick with cables for flat knitting too.
I'm on the kindle at the mo but will put on some links for any interested knitters when I get on the computer.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 1st April 2017, 12:23 pm

It's something I'd like to get my head around (but I need some time to do it!!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 1st April 2017, 3:41 pm

Here are some links - it will be a miracle if they all work properly!

These are the excellent interchangeable needles that I got
Knit Pro needles

This is the tutorial that finally made me understand how to do magic loop
Magic Loop Tutorial

Here is the Drops Design website if anyone is interested
Drops Design

and here is the start of my top down, in the round sweater. I like the idea of having no sewing up at the end. You can see one end of the 'magic loop'
Knitting in the round P1020010
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 1st April 2017, 6:36 pm

Thank you - it looks like one of those activities which you learn more by actually trying it out. When I read a description my brain wouldn't take it all in!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 2nd April 2017, 10:31 am

I'm a knitter too. That look really interesting, Ploshkin. I like knitting in the round and have umpteen pairs of gloves and three pairs of socks. Last Autumn I bought a pattern online for a zip up cardi and discovered when it arrived that it was knitted on a circular needle. Very interesting to knit and quite challenging as it was a US pattern and I had to get my head round the terminology as well. It was brilliant having no seams to sew!
It also had an interesting sort-of cable pattern up the sleeves and the sides and up the yoke giving a raglan sleeve effect. Not that easy to photograph.
Knitting in the round Zip_ca10
Knitting in the round Zip_ca11
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 2nd April 2017, 4:48 pm

That looks gorgeous, Flo. I loathe knitting, unfortunately, but do crochet from time to time. I've used the Drops website before for some good crochet patterns.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 2nd April 2017, 5:44 pm

Thank you Freebird. It's very cosy and soft. I may knit another one sometime. Depends how that yarn hand-washes, though.
Crochet's good. I only know a few basics and am not very good at keeping it even.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 2nd April 2017, 6:12 pm

Ooh, love the detail. I'm keen on the idea of no sewing up - I hate doing it.
Freebird, if you crochet have you seen the fabulous birds that Alan Dart designs?
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 18th August 2017, 9:46 am

I know it's still summer - well, it is today - but I am getting prepared for the next season and, to that end, have bought a set of Knit Pro needles that Ploshkin mentioned. They are gorgeous, I could just hold them and not bother to knit for a while!!

I need to look at the tutorial sometime as I've never figured out how to knit small circles (spirals if we're being strictly accurate!) on a circular needle without stretching the knitting very badly.

Roll on knitting season!
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 19th August 2017, 1:41 pm

The tutorial in photos is very good. Thanks for the link, Ploshkin. I knitted a little experimental tube and it only took a couple of rounds to get into the swing of it.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 18th February 2018, 9:30 am

Have had another go at knitting in the round. Right round this time. It's a Drops pattern, translated from Norwegian, with several charts to follow. Sleeves and body knitted separately up to armpits then a couple of weird rows to join them all together - nearly 400 sts on the needles! No seams at all but 52 ends to weave in because of the pattern (yes, I counted!!)
Knitting in the round Woolly10
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 18th February 2018, 10:03 am

Ooh, that's nice.  I like drops patterns (if you ignore the weird stuff).  It's many years since I've knitted a Shetland type pattern.   I love the colours.
I've taken to knitting in the round as much as I can as I hate sewing up.  I finished a sweater recently.  I just knitted the front and back as one then split at the armholes.  I cast off the front and back shoulders together so there were no shoulder seams.  I knitted the sleeves in the round too so the only sewing up was setting in the sleeves.  I'm currently doing a cardigan with the fronts and back as one piece.
I presume you are getting on well with your interchangeable needles.  I love mine.  I did a tension swatch on long needles and found that they made my hands ache.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 18th February 2018, 2:07 pm

Thank you, Ploshers-old-chum. The pattern on the website is in red with light brown and off-white patterns. Much as I love red, it doesn't do a lot for me so I substituted the colours you see above.

I love my interchangeable needles. Did wonder if I needed a longer cable when I had nearly 400 stitches to deal with but managed with what I had. I like the shortness of the needles and the fact that the weight of the work sits in your lap and doesn't hang heavy on the ends of long needles. I haven't used long needles since I bought these but guess that my arthritic-y bases of thumbs would not be too happy if I did.

Do we get a piccy of your latest creations?
Do I take it that you adapted a pattern to turn it into a roundy-roundy one?
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 18th February 2018, 5:44 pm

Beautiful jumper FloBear!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th February 2018, 6:08 pm

That's quite an achievement I think. I'm sure I've said that my mother used to be a skilled knitter (before Alzheimers robbed her of that too). She could knit on autopilot, without looking, whilst watching TV. Fisherman's Arran was more her style. But she too disliked the sewing up, so experimented with knitting in the round. But to make a whole jumper with no seams is amazing. Presumably you got the tricky joining on of the sleeves over with before the patterned bit starts ! I imagine there is a comfort advantage of not having seams too.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 19th February 2018, 8:55 am

Thank you folks. I'm pleased with the result.
You're right, CH, the pattern happened after the joining business.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 19th February 2018, 9:20 am

Flobear wrote:Do we get a piccy of your latest creations?
Do I take it that you adapted a pattern to turn it into a roundy-roundy one?
I realised that I never put a piccy of my in the round, top down sweater that I kicked off this thread with so here it is.  The blue one is the standard pattern that I adapted to knit in the round.  I got a bit confused switching between the back and the front parts of the pattern but the fact that I found I was not doing them both the same size didn't help.  I had to incorporate some shaping at the waist that would have been on the edges on separate pieces but that was no problem.

By the way, I too have arthriticky thumb base joints.  I find I can knit with the short needles without it bothering me.
Knitting in the round P1020314
Knitting in the round Img_0010
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 19th February 2018, 9:31 am

Whilst on the subject of knitting in the round and traditional Fairisle or Shetland knitting I recently came across 'steeking'.  I really don't know why I've never heard of it before as many years ago I did a lot of traditional knitting.  A steek is used to make an opening in tubular knitting to insert sleeves, form a neck opening or open up the tube completely to make a cardigan.  It involves cutting the knitting, reinforcing the edges then knitting on whatever bit you need.
The knitters amongst you may find this interesting over a cuppa.

(There is a link under the 'may find this interesting' in case, like me you don't notice the green print.)
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 19th February 2018, 1:13 pm

Lovely jumpers. Ploshkin.
When I knitted mine I thought it could do with a little shaping at the waist, as my cardi last year had. It looks a bit 'straight up and down'-y and would be more flattering if it were woman-shaped, like me Very Happy

I will have a look at 'steeking' next time I sit down with a cuppa.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 19th February 2018, 7:27 pm

I'm so jealous! I love knitted things but hate knitting. All of those jumpers look fab.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 1st March 2018, 5:28 pm

Thanks to the 'Beast from the East' and storm Emma, my woolly pulli has had plenty of use. It even has a matching hat!
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next