A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

Working with beeswax Hca_button

Working with beeswax

2 posters

Go down

Working with beeswax Empty Working with beeswax

Post by Chilli-head 18th May 2015, 8:01 pm

Where to put this ? I guess it is craft ..

My FIL, having been given a new swarm of bees, has hastily cleared out his hives .. and given me a pile of old comb to use the beeswax.

But how best to purify it ? So far the best result has come from wrapping it up in a bit of old cloth, putting it in an old pan witb boilong water, then squeezing it out when melted. Not for those without asbestos hands ! But without straining, it is full of detritus of pollen and dead bee etc

Any better ideas ? And suggestions of what to do with it when I've made enough furniture polish ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Working with beeswax Empty Re: Working with beeswax

Post by Ploshkin 19th May 2015, 10:02 am

I don't do much with wax but I try to separate the cleaner stuff from the old brood comb before I melt it. Most of the gunk you get is from pupal remains in the cells. I usually give it an initial melt with the wax directly in water. When it cools I take the disc of wax out of water & scrape off the layer of gunge (called slumgum I believe). That leaves you with a much cleaner lump of wax remelt & filter as many times as you need without too much dross to bung up the filter. The couple of times I've done wax for show I've filtered it through a double layer of tights.
Working with beeswax P1000710

If (big if) we get some decent hot weather I use my Heath Robinson solar wax melter. I turn it to follow the sun throughout the day. The wax is in an old baking tin with holes drilled in the end & the end of a pair of tights for the wax to filter through. It runs into a pound shop foil roasting tray bent into an appropriate shape. The box is part of one of my poly beehives with a double glazing unit with a broken seal on top.

Working with beeswax P1010010

I don't find a great deal of use for wax - there's only so much you can use. We had wax blocks for sale at the weekend but only sold two - one to a fisherman and one to a woodturner. Apart from polish the only other thing I have used it for is handcream (with cocoa butter & rapeseed oil). It's good stuff but the tub I made has been going for 2 years - might need some more next year. Slumgum makes good firelighters. The major beekeeping kit suppliers have an exchange scheme so people with a large quantity of wax return it for credit.
How do you make your furniture polish CH? (I'm sure you've said before but I can't remember).
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 19th May 2015, 1:17 pm

I just knew it was worth asking - I 've been waiting to use this one : great

I love that solar melter.  It reminds me of the solar cooking gadgets on this thread. Thanks for the idea !

I had a sneaking suspicion that part of the answer was to start with only the cleanest comb.  The best wax I have came from comb that arrived full of lovely honey Very Happy  The other stuff is a bit darker, and contains a lot of organic matter that soaks up most of the wax when melted.

Still, the straining approach seems to help.  I don't have old tights to hand, but used squares of an old cotton duvet cover - I have some scraps of fine agricultural mesh that might work well if it doesn't melt.  I got about 250 grammes of wax from my saucepanful last night, I re-melted it strained it once more and it looks good enough for candles or polish.

Ah yes, furniture polish.  I did this.

Melt beeswax in a pan.  I did this directly over gas, but the more cautious might use a water bath.
Remove from the heat.  Extinguish any naked flames, then add an equal quantity of natural turpentine, and half that amount of raw linseed oil.  Stir to mix.  I stirred it occasionally as it cooled in case it decided to separate, but I'm not sure if that is necessary or not.

Other recipies vary.  The linseed can yellow very light woods, so you might omit it.  If you have enough soot, you can make black boot polish using that instead !

In that little box that appears at the bottom of a thread with "similar topics" listed in it from this and other fora, I spotted yesterday a wood preserving tip; he used linseed oil heated up, with around 5% beeswax dissolved into it. The warm oil carries the wax into the wood and gives it a water repellant characteristic.  The poster was using it to treat his beehives.  

Edited to add: here's the thread:

http://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t707-linseed-oil-beeswax-wood-treatment

Edited again to add: Congratulations on that red card, Ploshkin ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down