A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» The Christmas workshop
by FloBear 10th December 2019, 5:12 pm

» December in the garden ?
by freebird 6th December 2019, 11:17 am

» The November garden - time to tidy, but not too much !
by Dandelion 28th November 2019, 8:31 pm

» My new garden.
by Ploshkin 19th November 2019, 6:40 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by FloBear 19th November 2019, 5:55 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 7th November 2019, 5:55 pm

» The October garden, a pause for reflection
by Dandelion 22nd October 2019, 8:39 pm

» Allotments could be key to sustainable farming
by Chilli-head 20th October 2019, 2:52 pm

» Shakshouka
by FloBear 3rd October 2019, 10:28 pm

» Shades of autumn in the September garden
by FloBear 3rd October 2019, 10:26 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 8th September 2019, 10:41 am

» Practical Action
by Chilli-head 6th September 2019, 1:23 pm

» Overheated in the August garden
by Dandelion 3rd September 2019, 9:34 pm

» Adverts
by FloBear 29th August 2019, 8:53 am

» High summer in the July garden
by FloBear 23rd July 2019, 12:13 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 12th July 2019, 1:00 pm

» Peregrines
by FloBear 4th July 2019, 10:18 pm

» Tomato trusses
by freebird 29th June 2019, 10:31 am

» Bursting out in the June garden
by FloBear 23rd June 2019, 7:11 pm

» New "New Horizons"
by Dandelion 21st June 2019, 4:01 pm

Statistics
We have 245 registered users
The newest registered user is skweller

Our users have posted a total of 46078 messages in 2352 subjects
Donate to our chosen Charity
Welcome guest - Page 2 Kiva10
Homemade Life forum supports Kiva micro-loans: supporting people looking to create a better future for themselves, their families and their communities. You can donate here
Pages we like:

Welcome guest - Page 2 Hca_button

HML on FaceBook

Welcome guest

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

default Re: Welcome guest

Post by freebird on 8th April 2019, 7:34 pm

Not here, but lucky enough to watch a barn owl hunting where we stay in Norfolk. No hedgehogs here. Best sightings have been (many years ago), skylarks on our lawn, presumably looking for food after weeks of snow, and last summer, a buzzard.

With the rate that red kites are spreading, I wouldn't be surprised if one turned up in the next few years. If we buy the property that we hope to, red kites will be daily visitors.

freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 8th April 2019, 7:35 pm

freebird wrote:

With the rate that red kites are spreading, I wouldn't be surprised if one turned up in the next few years. If we buy the property that we hope to, red kites will be daily visitors.

How lovely!

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 29th July 2019, 9:30 pm

Sounds of amorous hedgehogs in the garden last night. A bit late in the season - I worry if there are any hoglets, they may not have time to gain enough weight before winter Crying or Very sad
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 3rd August 2019, 3:47 pm

I don't often get excited by poo (!!) but this morning in the back garden I found hedgehog droppings. We saw a hedgehog trotting across the road when we moved in 17 years ago, but there haven't been any sightings since.

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 3rd August 2019, 3:54 pm

That's promising Dandelion. I've been perturbed not to find any hedgehogs in the lorry inspection pit this year - I check it every morning. There are usually a few during the summer months. I think hedgehogs, like other hibernators, May have had a hard time coming out during the warm weather in February when there was no food for them. They also have a hard time when it is very dry and the ground is hard, as it's been last year and this. They can't dig and they injure their snouts.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 3rd August 2019, 7:21 pm

That's so sad

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 7th September 2019, 9:37 pm

Another hedgehog sighting last night, out on the pavement up the road. We've seen one a few times this year, much better than many years when there has been no sign. I hope this is good news for the hoggie population.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 8th September 2019, 10:41 am

I found an adult hedgehog in the lorry pit yesterday, it was a bit black and oily.  I put it in a cat basket filled with shavings and in a little chicken run with some water and cat food and put a cover over the top.  When it got dark I just opened the chicken run and about an hour later I could see it had gone having drunk some water (or paddled in it) and had some food.
Sadly, in the past couple of weeks my neighbour and I have each found a very poorly baby hedgehog (6 - 8 weeks old at a guess) in the green lane behind her house.  The one I found was lying on its back, had a puncture wound and was hypothermic.  I did what I could for it but it died a few hours later.  The other one didn't make it either.  I think the nest must have been found by a fox or badger.  I hope they had some luckier siblings.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum