A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Passata machine Hca_button

Passata machine

2 posters

Go down

Passata machine Empty Passata machine

Post by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 11:01 am

Chilli Head, I know you have posted on here about your passata mill that you got from Seeds of Italy but the search on here won't find anything about passata.
I've just had a very frustrating hour or so trying to process a load of tomatoes.  I use a food mill (decent quality) but it just takes forever.  I find that it mostly just whizzes the bits round and round and unless I poke them under the edge of the rotating bit nothing gets squished.
I did quarter and cook the tomatoes, big paste variety, for a short time so they were just starting to soften.  I also drained the watery liquid off.  After all the effort I still end up with something more akin to tomato juice than what I think of as passata and I'm sure more could be got from the debris.  I did consider using the plate with the larger holes but that would let the pips through.  I actually ended up pre mashing them with a hand blender before putting them in the food mill.  I probably ended up with half my kitchen utensils out.
So, do you consider the passata machine a worthwhile investment and is it useful for anything else?  Do you cook first, drain or reduce anything and what sort of consistency is your resulting stuff?
A problem I have is shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand either having tendonitis or hovering on the verge of it so anything that reduces arm use is worth considering.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Passata machine Empty Re: Passata machine

Post by Chilli-head 4th October 2017, 11:29 am

This is what I have: Seeds of Italy page

Looks like this:
Passata machine 1501165137890_art69

Now, although it looks rather plasticky, it does seem to have lasted a few years now.  The mechanism is a drum, from which protrude a pair of sprung loaded vanes.  They grab the tomatoes from the hopper at the top, then press them against a perforated bit of stainless at the bottom.  This curves to get nearer to the drum as the tomatoes are carried round, so the paste gets pressed out, then finally the skin and seeds eject from the side chute as seen.

The tomatoes need to be cut up if they are big, and softened a bit in a pan, but not so much as to lose the fresh tomato taste.  The seperation is not perfect, so the "waste" from the first pass is best put through again, this gives a thicker paste.  Also, it can't do anything about the amount of juice in the tomatoes, so if you don't use a good paste type (I like San Marzano best, but Red Pear is good as dual purpose paste/eating), you can get watery juice.  I (or more likely Mrs C-H) usually reduce it by simmering to make a pasta sauce. The thinner versions are great for making Indian tomato rasam (a hot tomato soup).

Any other downsides ? It is not huge (though I notice they now have a large version), normal domestic scales only, maybe aimed at making a pint rather than a gallon !  It fixes to the worktop with a lever operated sucker, which requires a fairly smooth and impervious surface.  Worth thinking about if you have wooden or very textured worktops. As with all kitchen gadgets, there is also some cleaning up to do afterwards, but it pretty much all comes to pieces.

Oh, it does seem to do some other things, basically it is a mechanical way of passing something sloppy through a sieve. I have used it in jam making before now to remove skins from softened apricots, and even quinces (well softened !).
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

Thanks Chilli Head.  That sounds like the way to go.  I think the problem with the food mill is that there is nothing to grab the stuff (I like the sound of the grabber) and the perforated plates are too smooth for something a bit fibrous and there isn't really much pressure for forcing stuff through the holes.  I only do paste type toms for passata.  The ones I have this year are Big Mama, and they are big.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down