A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Hoping there May be a bit less rain on the garden ! Hca_button

Hoping there May be a bit less rain on the garden !

4 posters

Go down

Hoping there May be a bit less rain on the garden ! Empty Hoping there May be a bit less rain on the garden !

Post by Chilli-head 2nd May 2018, 5:28 pm

I have battled on at the allotment, but not much is planted.  I've moved in some raspberries and asparagus, but sowing seed still seems like a little way off - it is pretty sodden, and I am rather busy.

The little kitchen garden plot at home is lighter land, so I've put in some sugar snap peas.  Loads of stuff that should have happened in April is still waiting !

Last edited by Chilli-head on 1st June 2018, 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Hoping there May be a bit less rain on the garden ! Empty Re: Hoping there May be a bit less rain on the garden !

Post by Dandelion 2nd May 2018, 7:37 pm

The thing which really needs controlling in our garden is the grass. I can't really call it a lawn (as 'lawn' makes you think of sweeping stretches of grass with maybe a stately cedar on it, where families can have leisurely picnics...) Our grass is there for the hens to graze on and also to help with the compost heap (and it's also better at soaking up rain than decking!) plus it's such a beautiful colour. But with all the rain we've had, and the fact that the hens are still cooped up (literally) in their run, the grass has gone completely mad and needs attention.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hoping there May be a bit less rain on the garden ! Empty Re: Hoping there May be a bit less rain on the garden !

Post by FloBear 7th May 2018, 10:03 am

I had tomato seeds from the swap which are getting going now but I can't find out whether the two from the Real Seed catalogue are cordon or bush types.
If whoever has grown them can remember, I would be grateful to know, otherwise I'll just try and guess from their habits when they get going.
The varieties are: Larger Dr Carolyn Pink and Jen's Tangerine.
Thanks.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th May 2018, 3:38 pm

That was me - Dr C Pink is definitely a cordon, and I'm pretty sure Jen's Tangerine is too (but I didn't write anything down!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 7th May 2018, 7:14 pm

Thanks, Dandelion. I would have treated them as cordons if possible as they are fairly close together in their containers and don't have room to bush out.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 10th May 2018, 9:12 pm

Having escaped the onion fields of Chartres, I made it home in time to pot on a lot of squashes today. As I'm a bit hard pressed for time this year, I may just fill the lotty with squashes and direct sown beans. Squashes are so good at out-competing the weeds !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 14th May 2018, 2:19 pm

Back to onions in Bedfordshire. Bedfordshire Champions, even. I raised some in 1" modules, and some in a large pot as per leeks. The ones in the modules were showing obvious signs of running out of something - yellowing a bit. The ones in the pot looked healthier. The modules were very easy to transplant, whereas the ones in the pot needed untangling, took more care to get at a sensible planting depth and flopped around a lot. We shall see which establish the better.

Before planting anything out, I had to clear a multitude of weeds, Some beds I had not covered with a mulch; much worse grass weeds, and annual weed. The beds I'd given a top dressing of a couple of inches of rotted manure were clear of all those - but covered in horsetails ! I conclude that I won't be able to go no-dig until I've got the horsetail under control, which - given that there are few effective herbicides, none available to amateurs, and digging out is not possible without a JCB - will probably never happen. Real shame; all the other weeds were much better controlled in the un-dug, manured plots. If only I didn't have horsetails, it would be a very much easier approach.

Also planted the tomatoes into their final places in the greenhouse, and a couple of cucumbers. Look very happy for their extra space.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 17th May 2018, 9:42 pm

I've finally got something in the garden.  A bit late but my 2nd earlies are planted.  A variety called Kestrel which I've done before and are excellent.  I had to clear last year's bean netting and remove a serious amount of weeds, mainly creeping buttercup.  I haven't yet started anything else to grow outside.
Tomatoes are planted out in the polytunnel.  I've cut down the plants from 12 to 9 as I struggled to keep up with production last year.  The nights are still cold but everything seems to be doing ok.  There are pods on the dwarf pea plants and strawberries are turning red.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 18th May 2018, 1:47 pm

I've finally managed to get some tomatoes planted out in the Easy2Grow module system, in the greenhouse, and the tank filled up. My operation now has a date (June 9th) so i have a time scale to work to. I've put up canes for runner beans, which this year I'll plant directly into the soil and let them take their chance, rather than plant early in pots. The fruit will sort itself out - rhubarb is doing its thing, and there are promising buds on the strawberries as well as the Tayberry.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 21st May 2018, 11:38 am

Funny how this thread title has turned out - as in there has been no rain to speak of for at least a couple of weeks now. Well, here there hasn't.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 21st May 2018, 12:07 pm

Unusually, none here either.
We waited and waited for the ground to be dry enough to get the tractor on to spread fertiliser and now we're kicking the stuff down the cracks in the ground whim the cattle are still eating silage.  I really don't like to say we could do with some rain but we could.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 21st May 2018, 4:18 pm

Funnily enough I was just going to be the third person to say the same!! I was planting out sunflowers yesterday which I had started off in pots - a chisel would have been more use than a trowel!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 21st May 2018, 6:36 pm

We had a thunderstorm and a heavy but very short-lived shower. Sent poor dog into a trembling blur but he's fine once it stops.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 31st May 2018, 8:40 pm

Thunder and rain here this evening. Which made my decision for me about seed bed -vs- modules for sowing some brassica. Got that job done in the comfort of the greenhouse.

Still playing catch up a bit from weekends away walking and with the Aged P's.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down