A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 28 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+3
Chilli-head
freebird
FloBear
7 posters

Page 28 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 28 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:59 pm

Yay - tomatoes!! Well done FB!
Mine are still green, but should ripen in a week or two.
It's that time of year when things are just starting, and I'm coming in from the garden with a handful of fruit (so it's muesli for breakfast, or fruit salad for tea) or a handful of peas to cook with something else. I did find some more ripe peas today, but as there were only two decent pods, I ate them without even taking them inside!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 28 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Ploshkin 25th June 2022, 10:35 pm

My tomatoes are a way off yet but they're looking promising. We're still eating fabulous strawberries and I am inundated with courgettes and cucumbers - I only have one plant of each. I've finished the mage tout and broad beans from the tunnel and just picked the first French beans. It will be a very long wait for any crop outdoors, growth is extremely sluggish but we've only had a couple of nights over 10°.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 26th June 2022, 11:25 am

My tomatoes are badly affected by blossom end rot. I think it is probably down to the high temperature fluctuations of the greenhouse. All the advice says"erratic waterig" but this can't be true, even with the monotonous reguarity of computer controlled watering I still had a problem. Plum tomatoes Super Mama are especially useless, I may as we compost the plants now to make space for something else. Nothing nearly ripe yet.

Broad beans have given a good yield, and are finished now. Onions were useless - the allium leaf miner got to them early (they were overwintered) and the sets were tiny and poor quality to begin with. The garlic is harvested ad drying in the sun, I sowed autum crops in the space created yesterday - chinese greens and fennel.

Sweetcorn is looking prettyhappy at themoent.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 26th June 2022, 1:04 pm

I've picked a few green tomatoes with blossom end rot off the Buissonante, which I planted much earlier than the others I'm growing - I'm assuming it might be because of the weird 'winter - summer - winter' conditions they've had to endure. I also discovered (because I actually read the label for once...) that Tomorite has to be used every alternate watering in the greenhouse - I had assumed that it was once a week like the last tomato feed I used. So maybe my plants have been a bit undernourished (they are in pots rather than in the border). It's certainly a problem I get every year but rarely bad enough to lead to me pulling up the plants
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 26th June 2022, 4:24 pm

If I get blossom end rot I always find it is confined to one or two varieties out of the 5 or 6 I grow. So I think certain varieties must be more susceptible. Touch wood, I haven't seen any this year so far.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 30th June 2022, 10:01 am

Yesterday I harvested my first new carrots from the polytunnel (Amsterdam Forcing). We had them with polytunnel grown new potatoes, French beans and mangetout and home reared mutton chops. It was followed up with gooseberry crumble using my harvest of 52 gooseberries off 2 cordons. That was better than my last year's pick of 5 or 6!
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 1st July 2022, 4:02 pm

What are you harvesting today? - Page 28 Forum110
After a quick trawl around the garden I have enough fruit to decorate a tiny mousse, or make our breakfast cereal tomorrow look like the picture on the packet Very Happy Very Happy
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

freebird likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 1st July 2022, 4:05 pm

What are you harvesting today? - Page 28 Forum310
Early potatoes are looking good - this is from one plant: there were three and a half pounds. They're not exactly what you would call baby potatoes, but I'm very pleased. I dug some up last week and gave them to my daughter - my grand daughter's estimation was that they were 'A bit nice and a bit horrid' but she's not really a vegetable person!! Shocked Very Happy
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 1st July 2022, 9:41 pm

Lots of sugar snaps here. As the greenhouse crop is finishing, the outside crop is just starting. Strawberries going strong, although mostly pretty small, and raspberries just getting going.
Ate home grown salad leaves and spring onions today too.
freebird
freebird

Dandelion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 10th July 2022, 8:45 pm

Raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, loganberries, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, spring onions and we are awash with sugar snaps. I love this time of year in the garden.

Oh, and a superb crop of garlic.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 10th July 2022, 10:08 pm

Sounds good Freebird. I had my first tomatoes today - good old reliable Sungold though I will say that toms are looking very promising this year which I'm pleased about after a pretty rubbish crop last year.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 11th July 2022, 10:31 am

My Sungold are nowhere near being edible. The only variety performing at the moment is Gardeners Delight.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 11th July 2022, 1:02 pm

I had the odd tomato - first black brandywine, and as so often with the big tomatoes, the first one is a bit of a mutant.

Spring onions, carrots, baby beets, new potatoes, blackcurrants ready now. And a few sprigs of samphire !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 14th July 2022, 9:18 am

Haven't got much in but have picked one small yellow courgette, quite a few on the way, and a few broad beans which seem to be taking ages to produce anything. Rhubarb is rampant but will stop picking very soon.

I have joined the local community orchard as a volunteer and hope to enjoy some of the fruit later on. I'm also hoping there might be a smallish stray branch from an apple tree as my parrot is in need of a new 'toy' in her cage.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 14th July 2022, 9:38 am

Cucumbers!
I only grow the small ones and I'm cutting 3 or 4 most days despite keep picking off a lot of tiny ones to try and keep numbers down. I only have one ( very healthy) plant.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 16th July 2022, 8:14 am

Currently enjoying lettuce, spring onions and sugar snaps from the raised bed; raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, red gooseberries and blackcurrant from the fruit cage; tomatoes (gardeners delight, Sungold at last and a single ailsa craig) and cucumbers from the greenhouse.

I have spied tiny French beans developing. Courgettes are painfully slow to get going, though I could pick a yellow one - was waiting for it to get a bit bigger.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 16th July 2022, 10:30 am

Gosh, Freebird you're doing well. My courgette in the tunnel is much slower than usual. I think it's the cool nights - even the last few nights have been only 5 or 6 degrees.
My black and red currants are ready to pick.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 18th July 2022, 10:39 am

I think I may have said this before, Ploshkin, but although 800 feet up, the garden not only faces WSW, but slopes to the south as well. It makes quite a big difference, and all my fruit and veg is positioned in the best part of the garden as well.

Something is destroying my French bean leaves. Certainly a few slugs & snails, but I'm suspecting something like a leaf cutter bee as well. Hoping the plants can keep going to give me a crop.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 19th July 2022, 9:53 am

Being at a lower altitude (and having a garden which is a suntrap - great for ripening things, but everything needs watering more frequently) I almost have courgettes coming out of my ears!! My other half is very patient about the number of times courgettes appear on the menu - I'm even going to have a go at chocolate and courgette cake tomorrow when the weather is cool enough to consider having the oven on. I had sowed two lots of courgette seeds (two varieties) at different times: one was old seed and wasn't doing anything much so I opened the new packet. Eventually they all came up and as I haven't had much luck with them over the past few years I planted them all out. Ha!! This is definitely the year of the courgette - strawberries have been sparse, tomatoes are struggling, and there are hardly any apples on the trees, so it's good that something is flourishing!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 19th July 2022, 6:21 pm

I picked three Gardeners Delight toms and a second small yellow courgette today. Have had a couple of mouthfuls each of broad beans and some very portly spring onions that have been sitting in the ground for ages.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 22nd July 2022, 1:04 pm

Time to get the big trug out! Last picking of sugar snaps - going to have the plants out and get my purple sprouting in to replace them.

Quite pleased with the broad beans as I had no room for them in my raised beds. These have been grown in pots, standing amongst my vertical cordon fruit trees.
What are you harvesting today? - Page 28 20220710
freebird
freebird

Chilli-head likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 22nd July 2022, 1:59 pm

I've just had my first non Sungold tomatoes. Craigella, which I got for its reputed greenback resistance and Cristal which is an F!
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 22nd July 2022, 6:24 pm

We have German orange strawberry (which is in fact a tomato) and black brandywine.

The first lot of potatoes are almost eaten already.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 23rd July 2022, 7:22 pm

First French beans today.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 24th July 2022, 5:09 pm

Will somebody please MAKE THE COURGETTES STOP!

In other news, we're finishing the last of the broad beans tonight, there's a box of tomatoes in the fridge, French beans need picking and kohl rabi are looking the right size for harvesting. The hot weather last week completely finished off the peas - the plants are brown and crispy so I'm going to harvest some peas for next year's seeds.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 24th July 2022, 6:52 pm

My courgette plant is a bit sulky this year. Ite producing just enough. It only has one growing point, usually it has 2 or 3.
Tomatoes are in full swing now.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next