A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Bursting out in the June garden Hca_button

Bursting out in the June garden

5 posters

Go down

Bursting out in the June garden Empty Bursting out in the June garden

Post by Chilli-head 4th June 2019, 12:21 pm

Well, despite the miserable amounts of rain we get over here in the East, the garden is looking pretty lush.  And the greenhouse; peppers are looking very strong (in homemade compost too !).

Shame about the allotment - on the heavy clay it quickly bakes rock hard and it is impossible to give enough water by hand (well, not whilst holding down a day job !).  My Quinoa showing is poor, peas poor.  But on the bright side, beans and beetroot have come through well, and spring onions which seem to like their place on the Hugelkultur bed.

Over the winter I did as requested by the council and fitted a water butt to my shed.  But there is a fundamental error of arithmetic - my plot is about 100 sq m, and the shed roof is 2 sq m. The amount of rainfall captured makes very little difference - but I suppose every little helps, and it is conveniently placed so useful when it isn't empty !  

How are your growing spaces doing ?

Last edited by Chilli-head on 6th July 2019, 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Bursting out in the June garden Empty Re: Bursting out in the June garden

Post by Ploshkin 4th June 2019, 5:02 pm

In answer to your last question - generally a bit lacklustre.
Outside I have early potatoes (planted rather late) just starting to show and red onions a bit slow but the recent rain should kick start them a bit.  I've put in sprouts and cabbages which look ok so far but that's all.
Things seem a bit slow in the polytunnel but with the early good weather I'm probably forgetting that it's still early in the season.  My tomatoes were showing signs of magnesium deficiency when I first planted them out but the new growth is looking healthier after some Epsom salts treatment.  Out of 6 melon plants that I started, 5 of them have very bumpy, curled leaves.  The other one is perfect.  It looks like aphid or similar but I have examined the plants very carefully and couldn't see anything on them.  I've given them several sprays with an organic bug killer / plant invigorator and taken off the side shoots to see if the new growth is better.  It was a packet of new seed.  I've had almost zero germination of squashes - I'm not getting any showings from a new packet of Uchiki Kuri seed.  I did manage to buy one butternut squash plant from a local nursery and I have one very slow one that I germinated.  I have put a couple of Uchiki Kuri seeds in situ in the tunnel but nothing yet.  I will be disappointed if they are a no show as I love the huge leaves and aerial squashes all over the roof of the tunnel.  So far the sweetcorn is looking ok.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 4th June 2019, 7:35 pm

I've got French beans starting to climb their poles, and runners which have just germinated. The peas are like a jungle but with few flowers so far. Tomatoes are in greenhouse are now OK, since I discovered that there was a blockage in the pipe from the reservoir, and two plants were bone dry! Courgette plants are small but look healthy, I have four purple sprouting plants from the seed which FloBear kindly sent, and the strawberries are looking promising. That's about all I've got in the garden. What amuses me about this time of year is how many pests you have to protect everything from - every plants seems to get at least two protective measures as it's planted out, whether copper rings, straw, netting, mesh. Let's hope it all works!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th June 2019, 5:44 pm

Bursting out in the June garden P1010610
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th June 2019, 5:46 pm

I still have to be a bit careful not to do too much outside, 14 weeks after my knee replacement, so I really haven't done anything in the parts of the garden where I have flowers. But it's been looking stunning over the last few weeks - a lovely collection of things which survived from last year, or seeded themselves, against a backdrop of flowering grasses. I can't take any of the credit!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 7th June 2019, 7:43 pm

They're pretty Dandelion, I hope they haven't been too battered by the rain today.
Ive always had aquilegias that I allow to seed and I get all sorts of interesting crosses. I started them nearly 20 years ago but this year they've all but disappeared, there's only one or two come up. I'll have to start some from seed again.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 8th June 2019, 6:12 pm

Funny you should have a lack of Aquilegias, Ploshkin. I usually have self seeders popping up all over the place but have noticed hardly any this year.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 22nd June 2019, 11:15 am

Bursting out in the June garden P1010611
The pea thicket. Judging by the fact that it dwarfs the bean poles behind it, it must be in excess of 8 feet. I only put a few peas into flowerpots and put them in the greenhouse before I went into hospital, then Mr D planted them out for me. Underneath is a custom made metal support, but Mr D has had to put in an extra stake to keep it upright. All I wanted was a few fresh peas to make a risotto - at this rate if I freeze them we'll be able to feed everyone in our road if there's a no-deal Brexit!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 22nd June 2019, 12:00 pm

I find peas always exceed the stated height on the packet which is a bit annoying as they end up flopping over.
It suddenly struck me why there's a dearth of aquilegias this year, it's obvious really. The self seeded seeds were unable to germinate in the long hot period last year.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 22nd June 2019, 4:25 pm

Wow those peas are rampant. What variety ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 22nd June 2019, 9:58 pm

They're Tutankhamun - I think I put some in the seed swap in previous years. I'm sure I'll have plenty of seeds at the end of the season if anyone wants any - all the pods which get hidden at the entre of the thicket!! It's a heritage variety from the gardens at Highclere Castle (rumoured to be descended from the peas found in King Tut's tomb, because Highclere House was the home of Lord Caernarvon, but I doubt this very much!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 22nd June 2019, 10:33 pm

Not just rampant, but utterly delicious. I got mine from the seed swap. Absolutely worth a try, CH.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 22nd June 2019, 11:00 pm

I can third that, Tut peas did very well for me but I haven't grown them for a couple of years. I might just have some seed from you Dandelion and give them another go.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 23rd June 2019, 10:05 am

Now I do remember seeing them in the seed swap, but don't reval growing them. Can't think why. I'd like to try them at the lotty I think, where I can give them space !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 23rd June 2019, 3:10 pm

Watch this space - I'll be harvesting all the pods which got left behind later in the summer! (That giant pea mountain was grown from six five inch pots, which each had four or five peas in them, three pots planted out on either side on a four foot raised bed. I really didn't think that was too thick, but I was wrong!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 23rd June 2019, 7:11 pm

Fourthed. I grew the Tut last year and they were rampant and delicious. My supports - usually perfectly adequate for runner beans, fell over!
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down