A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

The November garden - time to tidy, but not too much ! Hca_button

The November garden - time to tidy, but not too much !

4 posters

Go down

The November garden - time to tidy, but not too much ! Empty The November garden - time to tidy, but not too much !

Post by Chilli-head 4th November 2019, 12:55 pm

In between the rain, I've made a bit of a start on tidying both in the garden and at the lotty.  Greenhouse still needs some clearing out, there are some peppers and chillies left ripening, but there's not much scope left for that now, and botrytis and other molds are setting in.  I also must clear room in the garden for broad beans - it was going to be the job for this weekend but the weather had other ideas.

Best not to be too tidy though.  Insects overwinter in leaf litter - see here..  hedgehogs need somewhere cozy too.  That article mentions leaf blowers - what is all that about.  Noisy, polluting things when a decent rake would do !  Love to see them banned.

And what about weeds at this time of year. I still have quite a flush of chickweed etc.  Some might get killed by the frost.  Some of it I just tend to think of as green manure to deal with in spring.  I suppose if I were to put on a thick later of mulch (which I don't have to hand) it might be the best thing to do.   But maybe I'll just deal with what survives over winter in spring.  It can protect the soil a bit until then.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it !

Last edited by Chilli-head on 1st December 2019, 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

The November garden - time to tidy, but not too much ! Empty Re: The November garden - time to tidy, but not too much !

Post by frankbeswick 18th November 2019, 7:13 pm

I had agreed with my son that we would do some work on the greenhouse, when we got a good day. Then when we got one, my wife was poorly and I had to look after her. First things first. She is recovering.
frankbeswick
frankbeswick

Back to top Go down

The November garden - time to tidy, but not too much ! Empty Re: The November garden - time to tidy, but not too much !

Post by Chilli-head 19th November 2019, 5:46 pm

There'll be other good days before you need the greenhouse in spring, I imagine. I hope your wife is doing OK Frank.

I haven't gone to my plot for ages. Just hoping it can take care of itself for a bit; been doing other things. I need to clear out the last of the peppers and chillies to avoid a greenhouse full of botrytis spores !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 25th November 2019, 5:57 pm

Finally got around to it. Peppers tidied, and citrus into the relative warmth of the greenhouse. There are still a lot of chillies to be picked - prarie file, jalapeno, poblano and a few rocoto.

At the lotty, I picked some kale, red cabbage, the last of the carrots, a couple of decent celeriac, and two perfect fennel. Really proud of them - I've never had fat fennel bulbs before Very Happy

Broad beans have finally made it into the garden veg plot (which is better drained than the lotty, where they rot in the Bedfordshire clay).
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 28th November 2019, 11:30 am

Nothing's been happening here in the garden recently, but we have 4 or 5 dry(ish) days forecast from tomorrow. Hoping to use the time to move a rose bush that's occupying part of what will be my asparagus bed. Need to get the bed covered in compost, ready for a spring planting of crowns.

In the meantime some investigation into why my heated propagator doesn't seem to be working. I'll be needing it in a couple of months.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 28th November 2019, 8:31 pm

It's just been too wet here to even contemplate doing anything outside Sad
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down