A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

The January quagmire  Hca_button

The January quagmire

4 posters

Go down

The January quagmire  Empty The January quagmire

Post by Chilli-head 1st January 2021, 2:39 pm

Anyone braving it ?

Not me.  I can use the binoculars to look at the veg plot and greenhouse from the kitchen window !

What I do see is globe artichokes looking really happy.  These were the remains of one plant which sulked in an ornamental bed for years, so I moved it to the veg plot, dividing it into two.  They seem to have rather taken possession of the site.  They used to die back in winter - I guess most silvery foliage plants are as a rule not that hardy. But thetmy are still growing it seems. I'm hoping to finally have to work out how to cook one !
Got a very pretty Marshalls seed catalogue in the post. I'll have a browse later.

Last edited by Chilli-head on 25th February 2021, 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

The January quagmire  Empty Re: The January quagmire

Post by Dandelion 3rd January 2021, 9:46 pm

Haha - quagmire! That made me laugh because it's so accurate!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 4th January 2021, 6:50 pm

Not too swampy now, the chickens have remembered that they aren't honorary ducks. The soil is somewhat sandy and drains pretty well.

Not doing anything in the garden - apart from tidying sheds and throwing out 'stuff'. For explanation, see tea-room post.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 5th January 2021, 10:43 pm

It has just occurred to me that we will probably be facing another compost crisis this year again. And I used so much last year my reserves of garden compost are low. And it looks like it will be harder - between my ankle and people using old artificial trees instead of shipping for real ones - to collect Christmas trees from around to shred and compost. Hmm. Might have to consider getting some delivered.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 7th January 2021, 2:46 pm

Yes, I thought that too CH. Fortunately I have all my new seed, so that won't be a problem. I'm hoping to have enough homemade to fill all my greenhouse pots - what I used last year, a 50/50 mix of garden 'soil' and growbag compost, was dreadful. Despite twice weekly feeding, the plants struggled. I think it was a combination of poor light in the old greenhouse, the 50% garden soil, totally devoid of nutrients and acidity of about 5.5, and the growbag compost which saturated but didn't drain (awful stuff - will never buy those again).

Looking forward to growing in the new greenhouse, with decent compost and good ventilation. Still got power and water to run to it - pipework is there but needs finishing at each end and connecting up.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 7th January 2021, 3:47 pm

My tomato mix made the tomato plants really grow - far too much. I think I overdid the hoof and horn in combination with good garden compost, and ended up with more vegetation than fruits. Good year for peppers though, the sweet ones that is.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th January 2021, 10:32 pm

I hadn't thought about compost Mad . I've been waiting since last summer to get some ericaceous compost for the new little blueberry I bought as soon as garden centres opened after the first lockdown. First there was a problem with enough bags to put the compost in, then the garden centre sold out.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 17th January 2021, 4:38 pm

Today, I got out my Christmas present from Mrs C-H - a new Vitapod heated propagator. My old ones - one at least 30 years old and one probably 15 or so were falling apart as the plastic has gone brittle in the sun. The first step is building it - it is rather like getting something from Ikea ! Still, goes together nicely, and looks a lot clearer than the old murky plastic lids.

So - on to first sowings of the year ! Onions and Shallots. Last year overwintered onions did well, but the spring sowings did not. Digging out John Seymour's self sufficient gardener, he comments that spring sown onions will only do well in wet areas; in dry places they will not grow well or store long. This is exactly what I had found; here out East the wet of winter dries out into a parched summer at some point, and anything you can do to get things started while there is still some moisture is a help. So, winter sown onions. Let's see how it goes.

And since the propagator is on .. may as well put in some trays of baby leaves. Amaranth, mustard, beetroot and Greek cress. Little to be lost by trying - the seed was left over, or free with Kitchen Garden magazine.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 18th January 2021, 5:36 pm

Ooh, starting already CH. Too early here, but I have spent the afternoon finishing putting down the paving slabs in the new greenhouse. The man is seeing to electric and water supply, and then hopefully finishing off my Christmas present - a sand tray with heat cable. I have a propagator that I use indoors, but want a larger area so that I can move things out to the greenhouse more quickly but still give them some gentle bottom heat to tide them over cold nights.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th January 2021, 10:14 pm

My heated sand tray currently is keeping the lemons cozy. We had lemon drizzle cake at the weekend with home grown lemons ! The lime died back to the graft point, but the rootstock survived and is now producing juicy and slightly orangey lemons ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 21st January 2021, 12:16 pm

Cooking with your own home-grown lemons is a real success!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 21st January 2021, 12:23 pm

I must admit I just can't get started on growing anything here - the weather has been so mixed and unpredictable. So I'm clearing the decks - the last kohl rabi was dug up, split and given to the hens to amuse them, I've emptied a compost bin this morning and Mr D helped me to remove a large branch from the apple tree, which is growing very close to a fence, and needed some more air circulation around it. For once I think I will be very laid back about growing seeds. (The other issue is that I bought a table to put in the window of the spare room for my propagator, but our youngest has been with us since the November lockdown - one lockdown morphed into Christmas, then lockdown number three, so she is still living with us and sleeping in the spare room. My propagator would be competing for space with hair accessories and a laptop, so I'm waiting for space to grow!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 21st January 2021, 4:50 pm

I had a look in the new propagator today, and I have Greek cress, mustard greens, beetroot (for salad leaves) and the first few shallots emerged Very Happy It has begun !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Dandelion, freebird and FloBear like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 27th January 2021, 2:47 pm

Not started any seeds yet, but soon. I have dwarf broad bean seed that can be grown in a container, so am going to try for an early crop in the new greenhouse.

Now the freezing weather has let up (probably temporarily), I need to grab the opportunity to plant my apple tree and move a rose bush, before they break dormancy. Just ran out of time in November, and the weather hasn't been suitable since.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down