A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

A late start to the February garden Hca_button

A late start to the February garden

5 posters

Go down

A late start to the February garden Empty A late start to the February garden

Post by Chilli-head 20th February 2021, 7:24 pm

Today it finally stopped raining, and I was able to potter in the garden without being quite so aware of my ankle twinges. So a good day.

The really hard frosts we have had have taken their toll.  A few of the broad beans have died, but probably still enough survive to make good use of the extra space.  Some of Mrs C-H's sage cuttings have died, but there are a few left.  The plan is for our baking hot, sandy front garden to be turned over to Mediterranean plants, particularly herbs and hopefully an olive tree. It is always well drained even in the winter that has been.

Harvest was one lemon from the greenhouse.

Last edited by Chilli-head on 4th March 2021, 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Dandelion likes this post

Back to top Go down

A late start to the February garden Empty Re: A late start to the February garden

Post by Dandelion 21st February 2021, 9:54 pm

I'm still waiting for the ground to be able to hold my weight before I try to do anything in the garden! We're still slipping and sliding on the 'lawn' as we go to see about the chickens.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

A late start to the February garden Empty Re: A late start to the February garden

Post by Florence 22nd February 2021, 10:09 am

My excuse for a late start on all things garden and allotment is the repaired/replaced right knee. Done 2 days before Christmas but now only just sort of useful round the house. Have amused the village going to the shop for a paper on the crutches cos the physiotherapist said to practice using them.
Florence
Florence

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 22nd February 2021, 10:38 am

I've been out and cut the old leaves off the hellebores. That's all.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Dandelion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 22nd February 2021, 5:23 pm

First time on the allotment since late October for me. Dug some leeks, and cut down the old raspberry canes - they should be autumn fruiting. New shoots are emerging already, some rather far from where they should be !

Lots of jobs to do. My espalier fruit trees didn't get pruned properly last year - I think maybe they put on new growth after the summer prune. Have to figure out how to recover.

A large number of plots have been cleared by the council. Looks dreadful, sprayed off and still littered with rubble of paving slabs and brick, bits of polythene etc. Glad I don't have to start from that.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence 22nd February 2021, 5:56 pm

There's a whole story there of tenants doing a runner and leaving the plot in disarray. Some councils ask for an upfront deposit that is returnable if you leave the plot in good order and used for clearing if you don't. Trouble is that most of the world won't deposit up to £100 before the annual rent for an allotment. And the result is what you see. Mind you - pavings are useful.
Florence
Florence

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 27th February 2021, 10:30 am

Off to prune the vines and wash the greenhouse glass ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 27th February 2021, 10:32 am

I've promised myself a stint in the garden every day that it's not pouring with rain to clear away the winter leftovers and get it looking half decent. It's no helped this year by ongoing building work. There are scaffold poles in the big bed and general building debris all around. I had to rescue a new last year hellebore which was in direct firing line from diverted rainwater from the gutter as the downpipe can't be put in place yet. I've just about finished cutting off last year's growth from the perennials and will go round again and start the ongoing weeding. I usually weed round the plants that are coming up next as I don't have time or energy to do the whole lot. I'm never too sure what to do about moss which abounds this year. Some of it I can easily pick up by hand and that goes in the compost bin but some types come up with a load of soil attached so I just turn the clumps over. There are no daffs out yet but they won't be long and at least I will be able to see them now.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 27th February 2021, 10:43 am

Any chance your daffs. will greet you on St David's day, Ploshkin? My ex OH was Welsh and I used to send him off to work with a daffodil in his buttonhole - sometimes there weren't many to choose from but, over the years more early varieties became available.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence 27th February 2021, 10:57 am

Anyone who needs a daffodil can ask as mine are busy in the back garden.
Florence
Florence

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 28th February 2021, 4:15 pm

Tomatoes and chillies sown this morning. Now the anxious wait begins ...

A few new varieties this year. Chillies "Machu Pichu" and "Holy mole" - the nearest I could buy to pasilla. I hope they do ok, I have some saved field maple to smoke some with if they do.

Trying tomato Black Brandywine this year. Sounds like not the easiest to grow.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence 28th February 2021, 4:22 pm

Macaroni long peppers sown; have appeared and are sitting on a sunny window ledge. Tried a packet of rosemary seeds but as expected nothing happened (given to me but they'd been stored in a damp shed - you can't tell some people) so have put an old packet of tomato seeds which should have been used last year in instead. Usually tomato seeds are good mannered and stand a bit of being kept over.

Waiting for some window sill propogaters, unheated, to turn up so that I can sow a few herb seeds of different varieties to fill in spaces. Also want to try some cape gooseberries and have another go at caulilfowers. All can be started at home and taken to plot later on. Rest of stuff will wait till later on in March (peas, beans, lettuce that sort of thing). As there is still kale and purple sprouting broccoli for the picking by the minions on the plot, no rush to fill up spaces.

Florence
Florence

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 28th February 2021, 8:11 pm

There are 3 daffs out in my garden Flobear. They are close to the house so must have benefited from the warmth.
I've had a day of seed sowing today. I've got several tomato varieties and peppers in the propagator. They will all go in the polytunnel. I've started some peas, mangetout and sweet peas in containers also destined for the tunnel. I've also started some cabbage and brussel sprouts which will be planted out in the garden. I've already sown carrots, broad beans and chard and planted potatoes and shallots in the tunnel.
I should end up with some plants out of that lot.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 28th February 2021, 9:11 pm

Chilli-head wrote:

Trying tomato Black Brandywine this year.  Sounds like not the easiest to grow.

I tried Yellow Brandywine a few years ago, and had zero germination.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 28th February 2021, 9:27 pm

That's not too encouraging DL. I have grown the red Brandywine before, and it was hard to make them happy ...

I've sown enough tomatoes for me and the Aged P, but I gather he has actually remembered to sow his own this year, so I may be in a position to cherry pick the plants.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence 1st March 2021, 12:43 pm

The propagators are supposed to be here in the next two or three hours! Yodal permitting. A late afternoon of sowing then.
Florence
Florence

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down