A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Springing into action in the March garden Hca_button

Springing into action in the March garden

+2
freebird
Chilli-head
6 posters

Go down

Springing into action in the March garden Empty Springing into action in the March garden

Post by Chilli-head 4th March 2021, 10:32 pm

Well, maybe. I haven't much ventured into mine yet this week.  I must fish the capers out of the fridge and sow them this weekend. What are your jobs for the weekend ?

Last edited by Chilli-head on 6th April 2021, 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Springing into action in the March garden Empty Re: Springing into action in the March garden

Post by freebird 5th March 2021, 3:46 pm

Not much in the actual garden so far, other than pruning back some shrubs and moving other, unsuitably positioned, shrubs.

A few seeds started, and my experimental tomato cuttings from last year's plants seem to be ok for their winter in the unheated conservatory. They have had flowers on almost from the start, although I presume the low levels of both heat and light prevent any further development. They have been potted on once, about three weeks ago, and when it is reliably rather warmer, I will pot on again and transfer them to the greenhouse. It will be interesting to see if they produce tomatoes any earlier than the plants I am just starting from seed.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Springing into action in the March garden Empty Re: Springing into action in the March garden

Post by Ploshkin 5th March 2021, 8:05 pm

My first tomato seeds have germinated - as always, Sungold was the first in just 4 days.  I've used up bits and bobs of seed again including some saved seed of Fence Row which is a red, cherry tomato.  It's been sat, unused in my box for 4 years and this morning some were sprouting after just 5 days.  I must remember to save seed this year because I recall it was a good variety.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 6th March 2021, 9:38 pm

I've got some early tomatoes which have germinated too - they were a few years old so I sowed a few more than I needed, but I've had practically 100% germination, which I won't complain about! I only want a couple of plants, just in case we have any unseasonably warm weather, because I hate the idea of not using it to grow tomatoes! (No risk of any warm weather so far, though!) I have Ruby, which I nearly gave up on last year and considered throwing the rest of the seed on the compost heap because it was so unproductive, but then it sorted itself out (and the fruit was delicious!). I also have Buissonante, which is an early bush tomato, which I will grow in the greenhouse in pots. I tried some outside last year as well, but realised that it wasn't suited to being grown at ground level - the fruit dragged on the ground and got dirty.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 7th March 2021, 8:40 am

Yes, Ruby is a lovely flavour but definitely not a well behaved plant. If your seed came from the swap it was probably from me.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th March 2021, 9:46 pm

I bought the seeds from The Real Seed Catalogue a good few years back - I bought a lot of different varieties, too many in fact, but I've kept on saving seeds from the ones I liked. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with Ruby: last year the 'hate' bit was more in evidence, but as always, I'll give it another chance!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 8th March 2021, 9:24 pm

I started a job today which (in my mind at least) was going to be a quick half-hour job, but has ended up being quite a long one. Our garden is on a slope; two slopes in fact, so to try and organise it a bit I put in a Link-a-Bord border all down one side, to retain the soil and level things off. I couldn't complete the border as there was a holly tree in the way. A good five years ago we cut down the tree, and I put some stump killer on the remains, and waited for it to rot so I could finish the line of the border. Meanwhile, while I waited for the rotting to take place, the border leaned over because it wasn't complete. Last weekend, my other half removed the stump, which was quite an undertaking as it was still solid. So today I thought I would push the border upright, and finish it all off. But I have had to take the whole thing to bits and do lots of soil moving before replacing each plastic 'plank', and also remove a large rosemary plant and lots of snowdrop bulbs. But it's half-done, and hopefully if we get some dry weather tomorrow I can finish it off. It's what you might call a long-term project!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 8th March 2021, 10:02 pm

Those sort of jobs are never quick Dandelion. Ive been juggling tomato seedlings. I've been bringing them indoors at night because it's been too cold in the gh but the light levels are too low indoors so its back out in the gh for the day where I have a heated mat and lights but today with a bit of sun they got too hot and started to keel over so I moved them off the mat and put them in a shady corner of the gh. I'll be glad when the plants are a bit bigger and the temperature is a bit more consistent. Nothing else has germinated yet but I can see some sweet peas coming I think.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence 9th March 2021, 6:58 am

Holly tree stumps are one of those evils when it comes to removing she says from years of contract gardening. Just as bad is the lilac mind - leave a bit and it sends suckers everywhere.

It's things like tomatoes, peppers, and various herbs on the window sill gardening at the moment while the weather decides whether to stay above freezing up here. At least the onions and garlic went in back in the autumn.
Florence
Florence

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 11th March 2021, 7:15 pm

The other day I got round to cardboarding my large veg. bed as I intend to go for the No Dig approach. I also palnted two varieties of shallot. That was followed by a night of rain so they were all watered in. Last night we had the strongest gustiest winds I've heard in a long time and almost half my soggy cardboard was whipped up into strange sculptures. Oh well, I have plenty more cardboard!
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 14th March 2021, 10:42 am

Well, I'm an idiot. I managed to sow my carrot seeds in the same place as the broad bean seeds in the polytunnel. I had noticed a few carrots germinating and thought it was some stray seeds so I've been pulling them out. I ended up pulling out all the germinated carrots and put some more where they should have been then realised it would have been better to dig up and replant the 6 broad beans.
If anyone finds my errant brain cells on their travels please send them back!
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence 14th March 2021, 11:36 am

Oh but your errant brain cells may well be mixed up with mine. I've bought enough seeds for 2 allotments but given up one due to a long waiting list made it not right for member of committee to have 2!
Florence
Florence

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 18th March 2021, 9:39 pm

Going into the garden to begin a post-winter tidy today made me realise just how wet the weather has been, over a prolonged period of time. I had been cultivating a lovely bank of thyme for years now, to the side of the main path, which has always been full of flowers and attractive to bees in the spring. I realised yesterday that it had lost most of its leaves, and when I investigated further today I discovered that it had all just rotted - the roots came away from the sodden soil very easily. Although we haven't had any actual floods, it looks as if the saturation level of the soil is fairly high, so we get puddles sitting on the lawn from a shower of rain, as there's nowhere left for it to go.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence 19th March 2021, 8:18 am

That's a disaster as well as a reason to delay work Dandelion.
Florence
Florence

Dandelion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 19th March 2021, 11:43 am

But it does mean you have a space to fill with new plants Very Happy

We do have to dig deep into the reserves of optimism at the moment ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 19th March 2021, 1:21 pm

Chilli-head wrote:But it does mean you have a space to fill with new plants Very Happy

We do have to dig deep into the reserves of optimism at the moment ...

Very true!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 26th March 2021, 9:28 am

I am waiting to see what survives in this garden. A Ceanothus repens does not seem the best choice for a garden 750 ft / 228m high and prone to whistling winds. All the leaves are brown and I'm wondering if the few green ones I can see will make it worthwhile keeping. All the Euonymus spheres have browned in places on top but may grow out past that. There's sad-mostly-dead sage languishing in a couple of places, I couldn't even over-winter that in balmy Dorset at 45 ft / 14m! Can't see the beginnings of any perennials appearing but it may be a bit early yet.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence 26th March 2021, 10:23 am

Goodness me but I have over wintered sage up here in the north east with the Cheviots in view. But it does have a sheltered corner. Mind I did inherit some old sage plants on inheriting the allotment which had become nothing but wood and didn't even improve after pruning. Funny thing sage but it does seem to like its shelter and it does like sun. But it does grow old younger than other shrubs. It's certainly been a winter that hasn't encouraged things which don't like wind here.
Florence
Florence

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 26th March 2021, 1:31 pm

FloBear wrote:  Can't see the beginnings of any perennials appearing but it may be a bit early yet.
It's going to be exciting to see what pops up!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

FloBear likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 27th March 2021, 6:31 pm

Busy day. Allotment weed control this morning. Put some mulch around the rhubarb, which is up but not big enough to eat.

This afternoon was potato planting. Which meant getting some compost out for them - after a really successful compost year last year, this time it looks a bit disappointing. Needs a bit longer - but I did use everything last year, so this was from a fresh start, and over a colder winter. Mrs C-H helped me feed lots of shrub prunings to the shredder, all of that and more kitchen veg waste has gone on top of the heap - hopefully it will get going. Never seen so many woodlice in one place before mind.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down