A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Peak planting in the April garden - Page 2 Hca_button

Peak planting in the April garden

+2
Dandelion
Chilli-head
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Peak planting in the April garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Peak planting in the April garden

Post by freebird 20th April 2021, 7:43 pm

No it's not an early variety. I took sideshoot cuttings in October as an experiment, to see if I could keep plants over winter and try for earlier crops, as the plants would already be established. The cuttings have actually been flowering all winter, but this is the first fruit I have seen.

I have to say, though, that some of the plants from seed sown this year, are starting to make flower buds, so they are catching up fast. It remains to be seen whether my experiment will be worth repeating.

freebird

Back to top Go down

Peak planting in the April garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Peak planting in the April garden

Post by Dandelion 20th April 2021, 9:17 pm

That's impressive FB. Where did you keep the cuttings over the winter?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 20th April 2021, 9:46 pm

In our unheated conservatory, Dandelion.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 20th April 2021, 10:49 pm

Interesting. I've always thought tomatoes didn't much like temperatures below 10C. But that looks set to produce a well early result. I think mid June was my earliest ripe tomato from seed in that year. Where did you get the idea to overwinter sideshoots FB, or is it your own inspiration ?

I have a prarie fire chilli plant overwintered for a few years now, it has green chillies swelling on it now, when this year's seedlings are stilll in 3" pots.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 20th April 2021, 11:19 pm

I had read somewhere (possibly on another forum) that you could take side shoots off tomatoes for cuttings. And Ploshkin's polytunnel has inspired me to see what I can start early, as here at nearly 800 feet, spring is cold and late. Her polytunnel success is one of the reasons I bought the biggest greenhouse I could manage to shoehorn in.

I guess it was a marriage of the two ideas, and added to this is the fact that the conservatory is on a South West facing wall, which absorbs heat well. I had no idea if the experiment would work. We do have a heater out there but for frost protection only.

I only had one cutting that rooted from Rose de Berne. The other two cuttings have plenty of flower but currently no sign of any fruit.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 22nd April 2021, 6:01 pm

This time last year, in lockdown, I was loving the fact that finally I had time to spend in the garden (with a lot of it dearly needing some TLC). I'm working on specific areas one at a time to avoid being overwhelmed, and the job I started last year was to dig up and compost some of the many Spanish bluebells which I inherited from the last owner. "They'll be fine at the bottom of the compost heap", I thought; "They'll just rot away." HA!!! I have spent the morning going through a heap of compost which I was planning to turn with a fine toothcomb, pulling out all the bluebell leaves and bulbs, which have flourished at the bottom of the compost heap and were providing a lovely display when I removed the compost container. So I'm now in the process of pulverising them to a pulp to put back into the compost!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence 22nd April 2021, 7:08 pm

They will come back no matter what you do. Laughing Rather like grape hyacinths. I have a garden waste bin for the back garden at home that takes such evil things from the allotment away to a really hot system that seems to cure them.
Florence
Florence

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 23rd April 2021, 10:47 am

Dandelion wrote:This time last year, in lockdown, I was loving the fact that finally I had time to spend in the garden

I felt this way last year. I spent quite a bit of time at the lotty; working from home meant I could flex my hours about and fit a couple of allotment hours in by then working into the evening.

This year I've not really even started planting the allotment. Mrs C-H planted garlic and onion sets, and I've done a bit of tidying. I'm behind on the greenhouse things too (except of course chillies and tomatoes, got to have them). I've got loads of stuff I should be getting on with but feel like I've never the time or energy. Struggle to make any sort of decision, it feels like too. I think it is all beginning to get to me...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 23rd April 2021, 11:31 am

It's interesting you have said that, CH. I'm just about coming out of a period verging on quite bad depression (which is why I've not been posting much). I think the winter, lockdowns, serious health problems for my mum, losing a good friend to cancer and then unexpectedly losing the dog, also to cancer, really took their toll over the last five months.

There's a lot to be said for counting blessings, and also not beating yourself up if your mojo has currently deserted you. I daresay your ankle injury prevented you staying on top of things you would normally do.
freebird
freebird

Dandelion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 24th April 2021, 8:27 pm

It has certainly been a tough year Freebird hug

I walked to work and back yesterday, 10 and a bit miles. I was sore this morning, so the allotment still didn't get done. But I did spend the day in the garden, sowed climbing beans, sweetcorn, squash, courgettes, cabbages. Planted out some lettuce. Feeling better for it.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

freebird likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 25th April 2021, 8:40 am

The freezing nights are really slowing things down, I haven't been able to plant much out at all and go round each evening with acres of fleece in the polytunnel which is reaching 40° on some days.
Dandelion, I put 12 Mr Fearns in root trainers and I now have 12 lovely plants for the polytunnel.  Thankyou for the excellent seed.  Growing some under cover should mean that I am able to save some seed myself.  I only ever managed that once when I grew them outside because the pods just rotted in wet weather.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 25th April 2021, 3:53 pm

Still haven't planted anything other than shallots! I now have to think about how to protect any produce I want to grow because my chickens are back with me and get to free-range round my garden for an hour or two before bedtime. I have acquired some chard and parsley plants so had better get thinking!
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 25th April 2021, 7:06 pm

Today, as a symbolic act of moving on, I shaved off and composted my lockdown beard Laughing

Anyway, spent the day at the lotty. Mowed off the grass path, hoed around the soft fruit, dug a big bed and sowed peas and beetroot. Emptied out the comfrey feed tube thingy I made last year and re-filled it. Did a litter pick down the bottom of the plot, which has been a dumping ground for years (not by me, I hasten to add). The buckthorn I cut down to a stool is re-growing nicely, and the holly I planted is making a nice hedge with the hornbeam. I may take down some of the ash, which is late into leaf and probably diseased by now. But what is no good for turning will be good for burning ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 26th April 2021, 5:53 pm

Ploshkin wrote:
Dandelion, I put 12 Mr Fearns in root trainers and I now have 12 lovely plants for the polytunnel.  Thankyou for the excellent seed.  Growing some under cover should mean that I am able to save some seed myself.  I only ever managed that once when I grew them outside because the pods just rotted in wet weather.

Lovely! I grew a small pot of Mr Fearns in the greenhouse myself a few years ago, when I realised that I had almost run out of seed. I had three or four seeds, and planted them late summer in a biggish pot in the greenhouse, and they produced enough pods to have one meal, and save the rest for seed.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 29th April 2021, 2:33 pm

The local farmer has just delivered a load of manure - onto my fruit cage and blackcurrants ! Why is competence so hard to find these days ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 29th April 2021, 9:17 pm

Chilli-head wrote:The local farmer has just delivered a load of manure - onto my fruit cage and blackcurrants !  Why is competence so hard to find these days ?

Whaaat???
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 29th April 2021, 9:26 pm

I think the issue is that the farm see it as a way of getting rid of waste. So what has arrived is a few tonnes of manure - much more than any allotment needs. The tractor driver need not apply for "tractor driver of the year" either - he has dumped it into the side of the fruit cage, flattening it onto the plants

An hour or two of shovelling s**t, and I now can see my currants again, though I still need to replace the netting etc.

I'm knackered now. Looking on the bright side, it is really good, well rotted manure. I'm sure the currants will benefit once they've recovered from the trauma.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 2nd May 2021, 3:36 pm

Glad you can be positive! I tend to get quite protective if anyone damages my garden, or at least doesn't take the same care I do.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 2nd May 2021, 5:11 pm

Dandelion wrote:Glad you can be positive!

I've had a lot of practice of late at finding the bright side !

Did a bit of potting on, and thinning out this morning. Put some seaweed foliar feed on the chillies which are looking a bit yellow, I fear it is the cold nights and hot days though. Last time this happened they were very late.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 4th May 2021, 7:54 am

Maybe we need a May thread now ......
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 4th May 2021, 8:26 am

Oops sorry. This year seems to be whizzing by ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2