A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

If you are thinking of buying a woodland, or just want a useful resource... Hca_button

If you are thinking of buying a woodland, or just want a useful resource...

3 posters

Go down

If you are thinking of buying a woodland, or just want a useful resource... Empty If you are thinking of buying a woodland, or just want a useful resource...

Post by Compostwoman 16th March 2010, 7:36 pm

if you are thinking of buying a woodland, or just want a useful reference site, this site is pretty good.

As is the Small Woods Association, link to it here
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

If you are thinking of buying a woodland, or just want a useful resource... Empty Re: If you are thinking of buying a woodland, or just want a useful resource...

Post by Jaded Green 16th March 2010, 7:51 pm

You know, i would love to buy a small woodland. I like the idea of owning - and protecting a wood. And I could coppice it for my fire.
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

If you are thinking of buying a woodland, or just want a useful resource... Empty Re: If you are thinking of buying a woodland, or just want a useful resource...

Post by Guest 16th March 2010, 7:54 pm

A lot of peolpe are, JG, as the traditional 100acre woods are being carved up and sold in 5 acre or less strips...silly prices some of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 16th March 2010, 8:10 pm

Is it the green thing to do though?
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 16th March 2010, 8:42 pm

Well it depends..if 5 acre lot splitting means the people who buy the lots gently manage the woodland, providing different areas for biodiversity and also learn to love woodlands and become "greener" in outlook...and also use wood instead of at least some fossil fuel...then to me that is A Jolly Good Thing....

If the alternative was a 100 acre wood just gets left to fall into a tangled mess..yes it has a lot of biodiversity BUT it tends to be based around decaying ground flora and fauna, with a lot of very tall trunks competing for light and not much in the way of understorey or shrub/ground layer as the light is excluded...

Whereas, for example, our wood ( 3 and 1/2 acres) is managed so we coppice mainly Hazel ( letting in light to the ground layer) in selected areas, we leave older trees as standards, and leave fallen trees to decay naturally in some parts, we fell mature trees which will open up glades for other flora and fauna and we get the wood as a side benefit, thus reducing by half our use of oil to heat our house....

So an sympathetic management plan is IMO a better bet for biodiversity than just leaving a larger plot to rot.

Also small amenity plots owned by different people are less likely to be clear felled for timber and then planted up as a monculture of pine..( trees on parade...with very little to recommend them...)

Sorry...on my high ( saw) horse a bit there! but this is why we do, what we do, in our little woodland...

And it is so wonderful to have care of a small woodland...I cannot enthuse enough about how great it really is.... If you are thinking of buying a woodland, or just want a useful resource... Herz
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17th March 2010, 12:14 pm

CW, you seem to be inline with the small wood land owners in the UK that we know. They really are proud of their wood and rightly so. It seems to work well if the owners of the whole wood talk to each other too.

JG look at the Small wood land owners site and the coppice woodland sites..I think they are all run by Tracy! But you will get a feel for the passions and the problems.

The woodland in the UK seems very much to be in a sad and unmanaged state. Its just that some woods around London have been purchased at a reasonable price and then shredded up to make a lot of very unjustifiable wealth for that individual.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 17th March 2010, 12:21 pm

About £10,000 an acre round here.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17th March 2010, 12:22 pm

Wow Billy! Thats why I'm over here!

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 17th March 2010, 12:56 pm

I must add that our woodland is only 25 years old and was fields before it was planted up...so we have no other woodland around apart from an ancient unmanaged tangled mess of a coppice wood, across the field...

we are an oasis of woodland surrounded by cut down hedges, conventionally farmed fields and orchards....

probably why we get such a lot of wildife!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17th March 2010, 1:42 pm

I think that's the best thing to do if you can, as we have, buy agricultural land that is low grade and plant it up as a wood. This way you really are adding to the biodiversity and the biomass of your patch.

"The Woodland Way" by Ben Law is a good read and inspirational.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 17th March 2010, 2:05 pm

Agricultural land around here in plots of under 10 acres commands prices of £8-12k an acre too. Smaller plots command a premium because people want them as pony paddocks.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17th March 2010, 3:12 pm

In France we are constantly and have always met ExPats that have bought a "nice place in the sun" and then find they also own a hectare or 2. So of course they buy a sit on mower and spend a whole day mowing it (or pay some other Brit to sit on a mower....which of course are called tractors!) and moaning about it. And then they have to strim the edges and "deal" with the moles and wildlife that make it difficult to mow.

The worst was one couple that when I pointed out the orchids in their field they moved them into the flower beds (so they died) because the couldn't mow round them with their "tractor". Shocked

Ok thats my rant! We need a "get my coat" smily

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 17th March 2010, 11:22 pm

They MOVED their ORCHIDS If you are thinking of buying a woodland, or just want a useful resource... Fresse

They MOVED their orchids? If you are thinking of buying a woodland, or just want a useful resource... Affraid

Un - be - effing- lievable.... If you are thinking of buying a woodland, or just want a useful resource... Icon_evil
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 18th March 2010, 11:15 am

If you are thinking of buying a woodland, or just want a useful resource... Affraid I am speechless
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down