A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

Painting/Drawing Hca_button

Painting/Drawing

+5
flute
Hathorite
Compostwoman
Dandelion
polgara
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Painting/Drawing Empty Painting/Drawing

Post by polgara 31st May 2010, 3:48 pm

Well I am really doing quite well. Have just painted another pic. I am using A5 size paper & I get the pads from Poundland. My artistic GD tells me the paper is good. At the moment I am copying pics from old calenders lovely pics & not too taxing yet. Very relaxing. Learning more each time I have a go. hippy1
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Painting/Drawing Empty Re: Painting/Drawing

Post by Dandelion 31st May 2010, 3:55 pm

I keep thinking that I'll do some drawings from photos I've taken of the veg patch (inspired by seeing the fantastic painting Stanley Spencer did of marrows growing on an allotment, which is at the gallery at Cookham). Well, I take the photos, but no drawings or paintings seem to have materialised yet....
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 31st May 2010, 3:59 pm

Give it a go Dandelion, just try not to use kids crayons, they really do not work well. Proper one from Smi**s are good and a reasonable price as is good old paper & pencil
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 31st May 2010, 4:01 pm

It's just time, really, at the moment - maybe in the summer hols?? Painting/Drawing Icon_sunny
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th June 2010, 5:47 pm

I've found that since I worked in the computer industry and under a lot of stress I can no longer draw....I still haven't worked out what is missing...my hand is now steadier but it still isn't working. It is really annoying as I loved to draw and have always doodled.

Perhaps I should try following a how to draw book (again after 40years!)

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 18th June 2010, 2:29 pm

Have been doing some drawing with artists crayons, they are a delight to work with & I have had some fun. Trying to have 2 or 3 sessions each week at the moment.

Pencil drawing is not so good & painting is very hit & miss, but I shall keep trying.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 8th July 2010, 11:55 am

Done a bit of drawing, some not bad but the rest rubbish. Want to do a specific piccy at some time, but must practise for it & get the subjects right, will probably be about 12 people doing different things. Shall do one in pencil & then one in water colour, I hope.

Young Master Sparhawk or the young Squire whichever has sent me round the 2 latest Doctor Who Mags, so lots of fun there.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 17th July 2010, 6:00 pm

Football friendys at the moment, so an afternoon with the paints. I like what I have done, wether anyone else does is not important, I had fun.

Do remember though when I was young, ( a little while ago) my Mum & Dad always made me clean the paint box, now I save the mixed colours to use again, takes the boring bit out of clearing up. lol!
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 17th July 2010, 6:11 pm

I like using pastels, they have a lovely texture. I also use some watercolour pencils which can be used wet or dry for interesting effects.

One of the few courses I have done which was purely for fun was to go to a series of art classes held in a wonderful building in Ledbury run by an Aatists collective, called "Artistree". I had such fun and learned a lot of techniques for exploring colour and preparing paper to use watercolours on them.

Sadly the funding for the building ceased and the project folded but I had such fun every week for 10 weeks!

I still have a painting I did hanging on the sitting room wall...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 24th July 2010, 5:23 pm

Football again today. I made a jump & drew a picture & then painted it. I did copy the picture & follow the instructions, sort of, just like a lesson & must admit I am pleased with the outcome.
It is much better now that I am getting rid of the ingrained lessons from school & only have to please myself.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 9th October 2010, 9:52 am

Today I have been given a table easel & a huuuuuge canvas. Will be sometime before I can paint that, but it something to work towards. Also some pencils & brush cleaner & dryer jar. What a lucky girl!!
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 9th October 2010, 10:33 am

Might that be as a Birthday Present?

Happy Birthday Pol! Enjoy the art supplies fleurs
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 9th October 2010, 1:12 pm

Thank you, yes it is but I didn`t want to boast too much. lol!
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Hathorite 9th December 2010, 2:01 pm

Work in progress: I am sort of "meh" about acrylic but doing this for a friends Xmess present and cash a bit tight so acrylic cheapest option for me. It dries way too fast for me IMO but still, we'll get there.

About halfway done.
Painting/Drawing Purpleabsinthe
Hathorite
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 9th December 2010, 3:21 pm

Love it.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by flute 10th December 2010, 11:27 pm

WOW!!!! I WANT ONE!!!

It's beautiful.

I personally like acrylics as I like the shiny plasticy result, and yet if you water it down enough it goes like watercolour washy. And you can get some really vibrant colours. I tried oil once Evil or Very Mad ! No likey. I don't think it suits the sort of creations I do. I consider myself as an artist that puts things together to create an image rather than just doing an image. Just the way I work to get better pictures from myself. Oh dear I fear I have rambled a little here.

I love your picture Painting/Drawing 91347
flute
flute
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Hathorite 11th December 2010, 6:53 am

Haven't tried oils yet, though I really want to. I love watercolour and gouache however, but would love a change to bimble with some egg tempura: I know a few places that sell it.

This was to be a OOAK (One of A Kind) but I will more than likely be offering this as a print. Friend doesn't seem to rate it much! So I probably will keep it and give her something else. A bit meh about that but oh well, does mean I'll have an original to sell eventually however!
Hathorite
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 12th January 2011, 5:41 pm

I have come to the conclusion that dragons are NOT easy to draw. I have tried to do it out of mind, & to copy other piccys or ornaments, but they still look awful. Supose I will have to keep trying.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Hathorite 12th January 2011, 5:54 pm

Oh bless, I had a phase when I did nothing but! I'm considering doing one in watercolour but I've got a bunch of other stuff in the cards at the moment. Keep at it, I have found I spend a load of time NOT actually painting as I'm doing drawings and studies. Already filled a sketchbook in the past week and need another.
Hathorite
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 12th January 2011, 11:07 pm

Thanks Hathorite I will keep trying Painting/Drawing 79689
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d 13th January 2011, 1:25 pm

As an aside, have you done any sketches of more mundane reptiles as an exercise in anatomy? Then perhaps thake that morphology and scale up to more complex creature, i.e. dragon. Maybe kind of an engineering answer, lol.
mr_sfstk8d
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 13th January 2011, 5:26 pm

I have tried lots of different things, some are good, others are lousy, but it is still fun Laughing
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Hathorite 15th January 2011, 12:56 pm

I was salvaging a canvas; what was originally on this was my Pink Tree study in acrylic. I decided there's no reason not to paint over it and put something else on it as I'd managed to get what I wanted out of the study. And, knowing I don't really get on well with acrylic I just decided I'd mess about and do something in my very-loved viridian. I had no plans, just knew I wanted to use viridian and see what would happen.

So I decided to fill in the background with a diagonal technique I had messed about with earlier in the week, but there was a problem; the ex was being an utter knob that day and so the result was I was getting more and more irritated. The paint was there, I didn't want to waste it and so I started filling in, without even really paying attention, just laying the paint in. I then washed my brushes, still muttering and took a few minutes out to do something else.

A week later I dug the canvas out again and thought "Hell, I must have been really pissed." It was the most aggressive painting I've done in a long while, really BOLD almost masculine strokes with layers of dark and light. It looked cool actually but it also looked angry. And I didn't really want to dredge up all my annoyance all over again just so I could try and work on the background I'd filled in. Nor did I really want to paint over it yet again.

So I got the brushes and thought how I'd try and salvage what I had done, how to save it. And this was what I managed to come up with - it's very rough, almost primitive, which I think goes with the background considerably. However, and perhaps more importantly, I've taken something which started out rather aggressive and harsh and turned it round, planting a seed for something lovely instead.

And that, I suppose, says a fair bit about life in general. So, I'm happy with it. In this one case, the acrylic really worked for me, which is encouraging. Not sure if it is A Painting or just a bit of mucking about. Possibly both.

Painting/Drawing Theseed
Hathorite
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 15th January 2011, 4:20 pm

Very thought provoking I would say, one of those pics that you could/should stand a really look at.

I love it.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by flute 15th January 2011, 4:50 pm

Wow! Beautiful! I really love your pieces. I wish I was half as talented at 'proper' painting as you are.

(I call it proper because it comes purely from your imagination, not lots of other people's stuff put together which is what I do)
flute
flute
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next