A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

Jaded Green

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Two minute beach clean
by FloBear Yesterday at 10:10 am

» Irish Wheaten Bread
by Ploshkin 13th December 2017, 1:42 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by Dandelion 11th December 2017, 5:31 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 9th December 2017, 6:23 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Ploshkin 9th December 2017, 1:52 pm

» Best before ...
by FloBear 8th December 2017, 2:28 pm

» Armchair gardening in December
by freebird 4th December 2017, 11:11 pm

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Ploshkin 3rd December 2017, 3:46 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Chilli-head 19th November 2017, 9:05 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird 17th November 2017, 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird 17th November 2017, 7:50 am

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is dreamcb77

Our users have posted a total of 44943 messages in 2335 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Saving water

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Saving water

Post by Jaded Green on 27th June 2010, 4:19 pm

I'm not complaining about this lovely hot weather, but with the water butt empty we are starting to save water for the garden and I wondered what all of you do?

In the past we have siphoned the bath water and could do it again, although on the whole we tend to have showers now.

So the JGs are currently:

• running the shower into a bucket while it warms up
  • washing fruit and veg over the washing up bowl and transferring the water to a bucket outside the back door
  • running cold tap for a drink of COLD water into a receptacle and then same transfer to outside bucket

We are NOT cutting down on flushing the loo and I think I may have to talk to Miss JG about this. The Junior Jadeds have aways been rather "I'm SO not doing that" in a teenage sort of way, but now they are both older, reason may prevail

Does anyone have any suggestions to share? I've been wondering about the washing up water?
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

default Re: Saving water

Post by Compostwoman on 27th June 2010, 7:15 pm

Showering while standing in a bowl, so the shower water gets caught as well.

Keeping a jug of water in the fridge, so you don't need to run the cold tap

Wee into a bucket and tip onto the compost

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 27th June 2010, 7:22 pm

Your households sounds similar to our! Our shower is in the bath, so I can put the plug in and save the water. If I don't want a shower I wash my feet at night in a bowl and save the water; I also wash my hair over a bowl and catch the water. I've also been amazed by how much water I use in the kitchen for washing hands, rinsing fruit etc, as I have put an old washing up bowl in the sink to catch it all (though I'm very fussy about no cleaning products in it, or salty water from cooking veg).
We're metered, so I've always been a bit vigilant over water use (especially as we use drinking grade water to flush the loo in the UK, which I feel bad about as many others in the world have appalling water to drink). I did try running upstairs with water in a bucket from the butt in the winter to flush the loo, but i didn't see any appreciable drop in our water use from this (we don't flush the loo every time anyway) and I couldn't interest anyone else in the family in doing this!!

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 27th June 2010, 10:28 pm

Using a 3 tiered steamer, not a lot of cut down, but a bit. Short wash on the washing machine & make sure it is full up. Hit OH over the head with watering can to persuade him NOT to use the hose. We don`t have a bath, so showers are quicker & we don`t use a power shower head.

................................................................................................................................
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 28th June 2010, 3:57 pm

polgara wrote: Hit OH over the head with watering can to persuade him NOT to use the hose.

"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
                 The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
    leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 28th June 2010, 4:10 pm

If watering , soak the soil at the base of the plants (rather than a general light spraying) and then cover the soil with a mulch to keep in the precious water.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 28th June 2010, 8:38 pm

Which mulches would you suggest?

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 28th June 2010, 8:39 pm

If all else fails, I think newspaper or cardboard work well.

Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 28th June 2010, 10:26 pm

I'm doing the short wash on the washing machine too - saves a lot of time as well as water!

Got stuck when I went to put a jug of water in the fridge. Discovered it was too tall and I couldn't face moving the shelves. I must have used a smaller jug last time!

Have just watered the garden with water from the kitchen tap
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 28th June 2010, 10:50 pm

Dandelion wrote:Which mulches would you suggest?

As Pol says newspaper or cardboard...I use lawn mowings, but then I have a lot!

leave them to dry out a bit first as they are a bit "hot" when fresh.....

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 28th June 2010, 11:56 pm

Mulching is good.

Also good is hoeing. Not just to stop the weeds using water from the soil, but to create a "dust mulch". Loosening the top couple of centimetres of soil breaks the hydraulic coupling between the soil beneath and the surface, slowing down water loss by evaporation. I've seen this technique used by commercial growers, coordinating so that irrigation is done a day or so before hoeing.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 28th June 2010, 11:59 pm

Yep

"tickling up Mother Earth" is how I have seen it described

A dust mulch is a good thing, especially if nothing else is available as a top mulch

Good suggestion , there!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 29th June 2010, 12:02 am

Chilli-head wrote:Mulching is good.

Also good is hoeing. Not just to stop the weeds using water from the soil, but to create a "dust mulch". Loosening the top couple of centimetres of soil breaks the hydraulic coupling between the soil beneath and the surface, slowing down water loss by evaporation. I've seen this technique used by commercial growers, coordinating so that irrigation is done a day or so before hoeing.

CH could you give us an idea of what your knowledge base is? as you obviously know lots about lots...so perhaps a bit of background would be helpful to some?

Only if you want to, of course!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 30th June 2010, 6:00 pm

Ok, I've stuck a bit of info about myself in the Member profiles bit, if anyone wants to know...

On the subject of dust mulches, I've refined my technique for planting out plants raised in modules, paper pots, loo roll cores etc. Inspired by the idea of watering the bottom of a seed drill before sowing, and the method of planting leeks in holes. I dig the planting holes, set the plant module/block in there, and then carefully water round the block to wash some soil around the roots and settle them in (try not to hit the block/rootball itself lest it collapse). Then I fill in the soil. This seems to me better than what I used to do - put the plant in, put the soil back and then water - because it has the "dust mulch" effect to trap the water in, and avoids creating a damp patch as a slug and snail haven right by the nice tender seedling ..
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 30th June 2010, 6:13 pm

That is exactly how I do leeks as well, and it works for us!

Ditto the "anything in tubes /rootrainers" as well

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 4th June 2011, 3:44 pm

Think this may be a good time to BUMP this thread for any new ideas.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike on 4th June 2011, 9:49 pm

Jaded Green wrote:......
We are NOT cutting down on flushing the loo and I think I may have to talk to Miss JG about this. The Junior Jadeds have aways been rather "I'm SO not doing that" in a teenage sort of way, but now they are both older, reason may prevail

Does anyone have any suggestions to share? .......

Or humor .........

Post the classic sign
"If it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down."

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 5th June 2011, 2:26 pm

....and be prepared to sprint upstairs for an emergency flush if a visitor arrives and wants to use the loo!!!!

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristy lee on 6th June 2011, 1:25 pm

You can get little sand timers that stick on the wall to put in the shower for teenagers.
Kristy lee

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 6th June 2011, 3:32 pm

Now that is a good idea Kirsty.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 30th June 2011, 3:03 pm

For indoor plants, use the leftovers from the tea pot, again not a lot but every bit helps.

Water the garden in the evenings so less evaporates

When defrosting fridge or freezer, save the ice in a bucket & use to water plants.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 30th June 2011, 3:15 pm

I slop the waste aquarium water when I do a water change onto the compost heap. I figure that the reason I'm doing the water changes is to remove nitrates from the aquarium, so thay may as well make themselves useful as a compost accelerator !

Edited to add: Coming back to the issue of mulches, I've had great results this year planting cabbages and broccoli through a layer of brown paper - I have lots of it from work because it seems to have replaced polystyreen chips as packaging material. As well as conserving moisture, it keeps down the weeds and hopefully helps deter root fly. Really clean healthy crop this year Very Happy
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 30th June 2011, 4:50 pm

Water you have boiled an egg in is higher in disolved calcium from the shells so I use it on houseplants - they seem to love it.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top