A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

Kiva - Loans that change lives. - Page 2 Hca_button

Kiva - Loans that change lives.

+3
Compostwoman
Hairyloon
Adrian
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Kiva - Loans that change lives. - Page 2 Empty Re: Kiva - Loans that change lives.

Post by Adrian 20th July 2010, 5:52 pm

I am as a rule, but its a bit upsetting to see so many people who need help and having to choose one over another.

Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Kiva - Loans that change lives. - Page 2 Empty Re: Kiva - Loans that change lives.

Post by Compostwoman 20th July 2010, 5:56 pm

I know, I know...but just concentrate on the ones we CAN help, and see if we can help more in the future. When the loan is paid back, it can be loaned out again!

My opinion of Bob Geldof went up astronomically when he said that live on TV Kiva - Loans that change lives. - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 20th July 2010, 6:01 pm

Thank you to our newest donor btw - your funds have been added to the Kiva account
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 20th July 2010, 6:12 pm

Compostwoman wrote:
My opinion of Bob Geldof went up astronomically when he said that live on TV Kiva - Loans that change lives. - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Funny, mine went down when he did that. Could help getting his ego out. Still, he was supposedly ripped to the tits on cocaine at the time, which is not known for its humility-inducing effects.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 20th July 2010, 8:51 pm

Ah well Billy we will have to agree to differ in our opinion, then! Kiva - Loans that change lives. - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Why ever he did it, it still worked...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 20th July 2010, 8:55 pm

Compostwoman wrote:Ah well Billy we will have to agree to differ in our opinion, then! Kiva - Loans that change lives. - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Because without his profanity no-one would have donated.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 20th July 2010, 9:06 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:
Compostwoman wrote:Ah well Billy we will have to agree to differ in our opinion, then! Kiva - Loans that change lives. - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Because without his profanity no-one would have donated.

Er, no, didn't say that.

And back on topic...

have just found out the other group I mentioned has now got the money they need! Yay!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 25th July 2010, 3:17 pm

We currently have a balance of $21us

$4 short of being able to make another Kiva loan......

Kiva - Loans that change lives. - Page 2 928403
Adrian
Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 8th August 2010, 12:18 pm

Just a reminder that we are still accepting donations to the Kiva fund.

Any amount is fine (its all adds up Kiva - Loans that change lives. - Page 2 Icon_smile ) and all donations are anonymous.
Adrian
Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 23rd September 2018, 2:03 pm

An update.

Noticing that we have not had any updates on the Kiva fund for some time, I have checked with Adrian.  He is no longer managing the Kiva loans. For anyone who has donated, you will hopefully be pleased to hear that the balance of the HML fund has been donated to Kiva.  I will miss the updates on our loans, and the warm inner glow of feeling we've helped someone to help themselves.

The sharp eyed may have noticed I've removed the donate button on the forum; the Kiva account had to be in an individual's name, in this case Adrian.  If we wanted to continue to support Kiva, or indeed any other charity aligned with our interests on HML, we'd need to set something up with a new coordinator - suggestions or volunteers are welcome  Smile
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 24th September 2018, 9:46 pm

That sounds like a good way to go - I know that the money will continue to be used well.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 2nd January 2019, 5:56 pm

A further update.

A small amount of money has reappeared in the Kiva balance, from repayments after Adrian donated the bulk of the balance to Kiva. After discussion with Adrian, we both would like to the the HML support of Kiva loans continue. So, I've posted an update on the last loans to repay.

You may also notice I have re-instated the option to donate to the Kiva fund down there on the left. I don't quite know how Adrian managed it, but I've created a PayPal pool to accept donations which seems to be the easiest way of keeping within their T&C's.

There is $23 in the account, and $25 is the minimum loan amount ... Wink
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 2nd January 2019, 10:14 pm

Excellent!
One observation, and one question: firstly, although the minimum donation is $25 you need a bit more for admin charges - I can't remember how much but I think it comes to about $30 in total.
Now my question - is there any way of donating if we don't have a paypal account? I did once open one but have no record of passwords or any other vital information so I've rather messed it up and don't think I can open another account. I think Kiva is a wonderful thing and would be interested in adding to the capital we have.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 3rd January 2019, 3:16 pm

Dandelion wrote:Excellent!
One observation, and one question: firstly, although the minimum donation is $25 you need a bit more for admin charges - I can't remember how much but I think it comes to about $30 in total.
There is a "suggested donation" of 15% towards admin. It's optional, and can be varied. We have donated more than the suggested amount historically, I guess because Adrian donated much of the balance.

Now my question - is there any way of donating if we don't have a paypal account? I did once open one but have no record of passwords or any other vital information so I've rather messed it up and don't think I can open another account. I think Kiva is a wonderful thing and would be interested in adding to the capital we have.
Hmm. Looks like "no", how I have set it up at the moment. PP does say you can only have one personal and one business account per person. I spent a little time pondering how we can accept donations. I went for a PP "pool", it keeps the money separate, but without having to open another account, or pay transaction fees. But it looks like you can contribute to it only from another paypal account. There are a number of ways I can think of of being able to accept card payments, but not for free I don't think, and not that I know how to do without a bit more research.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 3rd January 2019, 3:37 pm

Incidentally, if you click on this link, or the Kiva image in the sidebar, you can see our Kiva lenders page, with all the people we have supported. And you can see what contributed money is being used for.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2