A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Our thoughts with Gabrielle Giffords - Page 2 Hca_button

Our thoughts with Gabrielle Giffords

+6
megarver
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Compostwoman
Hathorite
Lakshmi
Adrian
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Our thoughts with Gabrielle Giffords - Page 2 Empty Re: Our thoughts with Gabrielle Giffords

Post by mr_sfstk8d 1st March 2011, 6:46 pm

I'd always thought that Tragedy + Time = Humor

Like saying the Bush II administration wasn't simply rearanging the deck chairs on the titanic, but more like re-stringing the lights on the Hindenberg.

See, that's funny.

Of course, there's a direct correlation between the magnitude of the Tragedy vs. the Time required to be funny. I think we're still a long way off from making Auschwitz jokes. However, saying things like "Oh, well, you know who else was a vegetarian painter? Hitler!" can be funny in the right context.

I guess what I'm saying is, we started out this thread with all of us expressing our deepest regards for those who were injured or killed in this tragedy. If somewhere along the line, we lighten the mood, and try to make it bearable by taking the wind out of someone else, indirectly, well that's human nature. It's how we deal with things, especially those things we can't hardly wrap our mind around.

Just my two bits worth. Color may vary, warranty void if seal tape removed or damaged.

mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Our thoughts with Gabrielle Giffords - Page 2 Empty Re: Our thoughts with Gabrielle Giffords

Post by Adrian 1st March 2011, 6:55 pm

I don't think that anyone on here would actually advocate shooting Sarah Palin, I personally, much prefer to let the electorate deal with rubbish politicians.

Second Amendment solutions are not and never should be acceptable and violent rhetoric has consequences...
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d 1st March 2011, 8:01 pm

Well, I wouldn't call that a Second Amendment solution.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

That's not the same as "Shoot some wonky politician we have greivous disagreements with".

I do believe that resorting to violent rhetoric is tantamount to admitting that your argument cannot withstand rigorous logical debate. By the same token, weepy appeals to patriotism and cries "for the children" by politicos are equally devoid of substance.

Are we getting OT??
mr_sfstk8d
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 1st March 2011, 8:06 pm

I took the comment as ironic and amusing. We refer to people who have weird ideas as " brainless" do we not? It seemed to me an extension of that idea, no more.

Under no circumstances did I think it was either cruel, out of place or suggesting shooting anyone else...and am frankly amazed that someone might think any of those things

Especially given the various adverts and posts Sarah Palin and her supporters had made just before the Giffords shooting...

Anyone know how she is getting on now, btw?
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 1st March 2011, 8:21 pm

Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 1st March 2011, 8:43 pm

Sad, very sad indeed.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by megarver 1st March 2011, 9:41 pm

Compostwoman wrote: We refer to people who have weird ideas as " brainless" do we not? It seemed to me an extension of that idea, no more.

Under no circumstances did I think it was either cruel, out of place or suggesting shooting anyone else...and am frankly amazed that someone might think any of those things

Especially given the various adverts and posts Sarah Palin and her supporters had made just before the Giffords shooting...

I guess I was taken aback at the nature of some of the negative comments considering I had specifically come to this thread through the 'Sacred circle.'

I do though think there is a difference between calling someone 'brainless' and implying that a bullet thru their head wouldn't find brain matter. It conjures up an image of violence that goes beyond calling them an idiot.

I found it a bit disconcerting especially since some of the comments directed at Ms. Palin seem to be of the very sort that are being condemed. Violent rhetoric is deplorable on either side of the issue and should be just as unacceptable.
megarver
megarver

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 1st March 2011, 10:00 pm

As Gabby is now making an astonishing recovery, maybe it would be a good time for us to draw a line under this topic and move on hippy2
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by bronze 2nd March 2011, 4:29 pm

it is good news isn't it. Shes been tweeting people from her bed.
The good side of the internet shining through
bronze
bronze

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 3rd March 2011, 1:30 am

megarver wrote:I found it a bit disconcerting especially since some of the comments directed at Ms. Palin seem to be of the very sort that are being condemed.
I think it comes under "do unto others..."
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2