A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Gardening between the April showers
by Ploshkin Yesterday at 8:37 am

» What are you harvesting today?
by Ploshkin Yesterday at 8:30 am

» Knitting in the round
by FloBear 12th April 2018, 11:51 am

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by FloBear 4th April 2018, 11:10 am

» Anyone braving the garden in March ?
by Chilli-head 1st April 2018, 10:21 pm

» Seed swap anyone?
by FloBear 15th March 2018, 3:56 pm

» Waste collection consultation
by Ploshkin 4th March 2018, 9:20 am

» Hungry Birds
by Dandelion 3rd March 2018, 9:49 pm

» "Popular contents" newsletters
by Dandelion 1st March 2018, 10:45 pm

» It's now more difficult to dispose of plastic waste
by Hairyloon 27th February 2018, 1:58 pm

» What can *I* do ?
by Chilli-head 27th February 2018, 11:59 am

» New beginnings in the February garden.
by Chilli-head 26th February 2018, 10:34 am

» Chairs 4 & 5: The lath back / banister back
by Ploshkin 19th February 2018, 9:39 am

» Endangered crafts
by Ploshkin 19th February 2018, 9:36 am

» The gardener's yearbook
by Chilli-head 1st February 2018, 10:38 am

» Garden Organic
by Dandelion 26th January 2018, 7:24 pm

» New arrivals
by Dandelion 23rd January 2018, 2:48 pm

» A fresh start to 2018 in the January garden
by Dandelion 13th January 2018, 11:23 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 10th January 2018, 12:47 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by freebird 7th January 2018, 9:37 pm

Statistics
We have 633 registered users
The newest registered user is SoberWatersRetreat

Our users have posted a total of 45417 messages in 2350 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

A fresh start to 2018 in the January garden

Go down

default A fresh start to 2018 in the January garden

Post by Chilli-head on 5th January 2018, 12:09 pm

January. I've done the "peruse seed catalogues and be tempted to buy more than you possibly need" already.  My secateurs are sharp.  What now ?

First job for the weekend - shredding the Christmas tree. Mine, and any I an cadge from the neighbours for composting.  And the wreath can go in too; maybe a bit of winter pruning of apples whilst the machine is out.

Second job, tidy the shed.  I have intercepted a free standing shelf unit on its way to the skip at work, which should store my propagators in better order than the current heap.

Next - rebuilding the big propagating frame.  I had pest problems (caterpillars) in the greenhouse last summer so cleared everything out.  I'll rebuild the sand tray; I've collected some sheets of an expanded polythene material which can form an insulating layer on the floor, and have a few bags of plastering sand left over to go on top with the heating cable in it.  I'm thinking to sow some micro-herbs this year, watching a programme on TV last night they found broccoli sprouts to be pretty healthy eating.  I can use the black plastic trays that vegetables come in (that I now know aren't actually recycled despite being collected in the recycling bins) and various slightly old seed - it will serve as a germination test too !

Last edited by Chilli-head on 1st February 2018, 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

default Re: A fresh start to 2018 in the January garden

Post by Dandelion on 5th January 2018, 1:07 pm

My winter jobs are more to do with closing the garden down for a spell as I don't know when I will be able to get out there and look after it this year. So I'm covering raised beds with compost then a layer of plastic (which then blows off in the winter storms - so I'll be out there tomorrow problem solving...!) Also just trying to leave things neat and tidy, as much as it's possible to do: cutting back the wild area around the pond, getting stuff into the compost bins, pruning the apples.

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 13th January 2018, 8:14 pm

I've been busying myself in the garden today.  I've cleaned out the greenhouse and cleaned the glass ready for a fresh start. Feeling the excitement start to come back   Very Happy

I've also collected another Christmas tree from a neighbour for logs and compost.  The heap is full now !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 13th January 2018, 11:23 pm

It was so lovely to have some mild weather - I was in the garden too, just trying to tidy out the greenhouse, but I suddenly noticed that one of the apple trees was growing right over the fence into the neighbour's garden. I did some radical pruning (we have asked the neighbours to help themselves to the fruit but it always seems to stay on the tree, so it seemed a good idea to cut it back). There's a lot more I want to do in the garden, in the tidying-up line, so I hope it's mild again tomorrow afternoon!!

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down