A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Shades of autumn in the September garden Hca_button

Shades of autumn in the September garden

5 posters

Go down

Shades of autumn in the September garden Empty Shades of autumn in the September garden

Post by Chilli-head 5th September 2019, 3:23 pm

So, September is come, and the evenings already feel shorter and more like autumn.  My apples seem to have fallen off of their own accord, but  the Bloody Ploughman I picked up off the ground and had at lunchtime was pretty good.

What else is doing well at the moment ? Lazy Housewife beans from real Seeds is looking very happy, lots of growth and the pods, despite having fairly swollen beans inside, remain tender as can be.  The sweetcorn is looking fantastic too, really good fill to the cobs.  Still got plenty of tomatoes and chillies, enough cucumbers and courgettes probably turning too marrows (not been to the lotty for a few days).

Last edited by Chilli-head on 4th November 2019, 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Shades of autumn in the September garden Empty Re: Shades of autumn in the September garden

Post by Dandelion 5th September 2019, 7:54 pm

Yes, it seems to be suddenly colder, which is a shock to the system - the sort of weather where yo need to wear socks, and even think about some sort of heating. I was rather hoping for an extension on the warmth, as I still have a few tomatoes growing in the greenhouse. I'm also picking autumn raspberries (the ones I uprooted five years ago!!) - I'm hoping they go on for a bit as my sister is visiting from Australia at the end of the month. She loves raspberries, but she says it's just too warm for them in Perth - they can't grow them or import them.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Shades of autumn in the September garden Empty Re: Shades of autumn in the September garden

Post by Chilli-head 5th September 2019, 9:01 pm

According to an agricultural dealer I know in Australia, it is fast heading too hot and dry in many parts of Australia to grow even wheat ! They are drilling on row spacings of up to 1 metre (in the U.K. it is commonly 125mm), and creating a depression around the row to retain moisture. Pretty desperate strategies. He also told me of cattle farmers having to reduce their livestock levels because they can't afford the grain for feed. And I thought I could use more rain over here in the East of England !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 6th September 2019, 7:43 pm

Yeay, four out of five of my winter salads have germinated - still time for the lettuce to put in an appearance.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 8th September 2019, 12:38 pm

My harvest this morning has been two eggs from my three 'new' chickens. Picked them up yesterday from BHWT rehoming. They found their way into the coop at bedtime and are currently sunning themselves.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 10th September 2019, 8:48 pm

I've had to accept that the two hens I've got are not going to lay. Ginger is too old (at six years old) and the last egg she laid was so large that I would be worried if she laid any more. Dot is one of the two speckledys I bought a year ago, neither of whioch really laid anything significant. The one which did lay the occasional rather pathetic egg had to be put down in July, and I'm left with Dot, who is a lovely friendly hen but just doesn't lay. Never mind, they keep the slugs down and keep my company in the garden. When Ginger is no more I will get two more hens, but I don't think I'll buy any more speckledys.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 10th September 2019, 9:38 pm

Dandelion, if you want some reliable layers I can recommend Leghorns. I've had Exchequer Leghorns which are very attractive black and white birds.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 13th September 2019, 1:41 pm

Thank you Ploshkin. that's very helpful. Are they fairly friendly birds?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 15th September 2019, 12:15 am

I spent a little time watching the garden wildlife this afternoon. The sedums are attracting a lot of bumble bees, and a butterfly I don't know, looks like a bit of leaf with its wings folded, but is an orange colour when open. Also very camera shy ! Our Greek oregano is also popular with the bees

I will have to harvest what's left of my grapes tomorrow, a host of blackbirds are taking them. At least they pick them off whole grape at a time, rather than pecking at all of tgem and leaving the remains to rot.

I walked home from work the long way on Friday, 8 miles. I was struck my how many creatures I could hear rustling in the undergrowth. Has it been a good year for small mammals ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 15th September 2019, 10:15 am

My sedums are also covered in bees, and a few butterflies - mainly small tortoiseshell.

My main garden activity is clearing. Cut down most of the overgrown shrubbery at top of garden yesterday (variegated holly, rhododendron, euonymous etc) as a start on clearing the area that will be for soft fruit. Some enormous roots to dig out next. Really hoping to get the fruit out of their pots and into the ground before winter sets in.

Did get some compost bins made up on Saturday though. Two bins, each a cubic yard, and there is already a good sized dalek here, so a fair bit of capacity now. I'm going to need it with all the shredding I have to do.

All my winter salads have at least some germination, though lettuce has a poor showing - only three so far. Still, enough (slugs and snails permitting) that we should have some fresh leaves to harvest over winter.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 16th September 2019, 4:10 pm

I had a go at sowing some late salads yesterday, direct in the garden veg plot. Under netting as much as anything to keep the neighbour's b****y cat off. I tidied up the greenhouse a bit, took a lot of leaf off the tomatoes to let air and light in.

Apart from that, I re-assembled my garden shredder. It is quiet a pricey Bosch machine, of the quieter, crushing sort. It does seem to have a design flaw; the electronics are under a black plastic panel, and if left in strong direct sun for a long time, they overheat and fail when you turn it on again. It has happened to me once before, fortunately I saved the parts list and circuit diagram I reverse-engineered, and so it was a fairly quick fix. Very glad to have it back, it saves so much stuff to the tidy tip, and boosts composting material a lot.

Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 16th September 2019, 11:12 pm

Sounds similar to my shredder, CH - same manufacturer and type, though mine has a different control panel. Wouldn't be without it. In my other garden it tripled my compost production and pretty much eliminated my need for bonfires. Our entire plot here is surrounded by hedges, so there are going to be plenty of hedge trimmings as well as all the pruning material.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 21st September 2019, 9:38 pm

Tomatoes seem to be finishing early this year - my Dad's are too. I gave up on some of mine today, heaved them out, and brought most of the chillies and peppers from outdoors into the greenhouse space freed up.

Some of the pak choi I sowed last weekend are up. They won't have time to make full size I don't think, but should make something edible with the help of cloches.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 23rd September 2019, 10:10 pm

Agree about tomatoes, CH. There are a few left but not many now.
I did plant some chinese cabbage but it's turned into a feast for 'small white' caterpillars - the chickens have been getting what's left.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 24th September 2019, 12:46 pm

My Rose de Berne tomatoes (seed from the seed swap a couple of years back) have been rather in the doldrums since they were planted out but have suddenly come into their own - I have huge crops of huge fruits that are ripening nicely and are delicious.
The cucumbers and courgettes are continuing to fruit apace - I'm actually leaving quite a few to grow big so that the chickens can enjoy them. I've just had my penultimate melon (not quite as tasty as the earlier ones) and I'm harvesting some ripe sweet peppers now. I must remember to plant them away from the polytunnel walls next year as the slugs have been a pain and I've lost quite a few big fruits.
Outdoors, the runner beans have just started procucing useable beans, I've got some decent cabbages for using now plus some winter cabbages and the brussel sprouts are looking good.
Onions and potatoes were a complete waste of space.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 3rd October 2019, 1:16 pm

I have a strawberry dilemma.
As you know I grow everbearers in baskets in the polytunnel. Currently I have 5 baskets of plants that I have just had a final picking of fruit from (I should say from which I have had .......) but this is the 2nd year of fruiting and the plants have made no runners.
My usual practice is to let the plants do 2 seasons then peg down runners and plant up the baskets with fresh compost and new plants to overwinter outside ready for the next year.

Do I buy new plants or empty out the baskets and replace the old plants in new compost?
What would you do?
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 3rd October 2019, 6:03 pm

Bit of both, I reckon. Buy in some new plants as insurance, but pot on some of the old ones too. And rather than throw away the remainder, maybe find an odd corner for them - you never know, they might decide to make runners next year. Could try picking off all the blossom on a few plants and see if that induces them.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 3rd October 2019, 10:26 pm

I'm at this stage with my strawberries too. I think I'll take freebird's advice and buy a few new plants. Having a fairly large garden in a mildish area, I use spare strawberry plants for ground cover. If they fruit it's something nice for the birds (or the dogs!)
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down