A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

The September garden Hca_button

The September garden

5 posters

Go down

The September garden Empty The September garden

Post by Chilli-head 4th September 2017, 5:19 pm

Well it definitely feels like autumn today.  This morning it had been raining overnight and everything looked gloomy outside. The gloom was reflected inside the house as C-H Jnr prepared to head back to school, and we all struggled to wake up without the lie-ins we've got used to !

Still, not given up hope for a bit of an Indian summer.  My chillies still aren't ripe, so fingeres crossed.

Back to thinking about garden plans.  Thanks for the suggestions last month.  I'm tempted to attempt a festooned tree, maybe a plum, as a centre piece.  Anyone done a festooned tree ? It didn't look too difficult in the book, but pruning never does until you are confronted by the unruly mass that looks nothing like the nice tidy specimens in the books !  We probably will reduce the lawn rather, it isn't much use to use these days.  Having space to fit in a bouncy castle is probably no longer a requirement !  We'd like some sort of water; I quite like moving water but Mrs C-H has ruled out anything that makes noise - pump motors etc.  Suppose it's not so green to be using power anyway, and saves messing with electrics.  So perhaps a pond.  But I'd like to to be more interesting than just a round hole full of water.  Hmm.

Last edited by Chilli-head on 3rd October 2017, 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

The September garden Empty Re: The September garden

Post by Ploshkin 4th September 2017, 7:16 pm

You could have a solar powered water feature - it may not work all the time but it wouldn't make a noise.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 5th September 2017, 9:18 pm

I'd like a solar powered water feature but the only ones I've seen have been twee and weedy - not at all to my taste.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 6th September 2017, 4:04 pm

I've got a serious bean mountain.  Polytunnel plants now evicted having been producing since May so I turned my attention to the garden. I've picked Mr Fearns, Kew Blue and runner beans.  I need to rethink my bean strategy next year.
3 months late I know,but I have just planted out my leeks that have been in a bucket in the greenhouse.  I just haven't managed to free up ground before now though I should be digging my first earlies before September I suppose.  Even then very few had reached magic pencil size.  I figured that I might as well put them out and if they over winter they might put on some growth in the spring.  On the other hand they might just rot but the bed isn't going to be used for anything else.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 6th September 2017, 4:20 pm

Ploshkin wrote:I've got a serious bean mountain.  Polytunnel plants now evicted having been producing since May so I turned my attention to the garden. I've picked Mr Fearns, Kew Blue and runner beans.  I need to rethink my bean strategy next year.
Ah, but is it just a one-off year for beans ? Everyone has too many this year, be careful not to over-compensate !

3 months late I know,but I have just planted out my leeks that have been in a bucket in the greenhouse.  I just haven't managed to free up ground before now though I should be digging my first earlies before September I suppose.  Even then very few had reached magic pencil size.  I figured that I might as well put them out and if they over winter they might put on some growth in the spring.
Oh dear. Mine did well in a big pot. They are already about ~20-25mm diameter, or at least those not under netting. The ones under environmesh are a bit thinner, which I suspect is lower light levels. Whether the uncovered ones suffer leek moth problems is an experiment.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 8th September 2017, 12:18 pm

About to sow some winter salad crops. I may be a little late, as I just couldn't seem to get around to it. It's my first ever time to try this, so all very experimental. It feels strange to be thinking about starting some crops when most are finishing.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 8th September 2017, 2:16 pm

I don't know anything about winter crops, freebird, but I would say that conditions are still OK for sowing, it's not really cold yet and you live in the balmy South-East!
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 15th September 2017, 12:52 pm

My garden in September is a bit horizontal after the weather we've had in the last few days.  I'm sure we had a tornado yesterday - my 12' long pea and bean structure, the legs of which were sunk 8" in the ground ended up flat on top of my 'last chance' leeks in the next bed.  I've only just started picking the beans.
We did manage to heave the structure upright again.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 15th September 2017, 4:17 pm

I lay in bed in the middle of the night, listening to Storm Aileen doing her worst, and thought that the next day I would be spending time in the garden after school picking up fallen apples from our three trees. But there really weren't many, just the maggoty and rotten ones. I quite relieved - the crop is heavy, and I could do with them on the trees for a little while longer while I think about what to do with them!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th September 2017, 12:40 pm

Well, that storm has taken out my bean wigwam at the allotment, I shall have to find time to go and see if I can haul it upright somehow for the drying beans to do their thing.

Blight has finally go to the outdoor tomatoes. Pretty inevitable really, and I guess such fruit as we had was of good flavour. I won't do outdoor ones again, too many problems. Not just the blight, but heavy rain causing all the ripe fruit to split. Much safer and more controlable under glass.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 18th September 2017, 3:03 pm

We have some sun today at last and all day there have been red admirals feeding on the fruit on my crab apple tree - up to 20 of them.  I've never seen that before.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 21st September 2017, 7:36 pm

That sounds amazing Ploshkin - did you get any photos?
There were a couple of Red Admirals flying around when we went to Goodrich castle last week - I always forget how large they are. I don't know enough about butterflies to know whether some types are later than others in the year. I certainly haven't seen any Cabbage White around in the last fewweeks (thankfully!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 21st September 2017, 8:03 pm

I didn't get any pictures because the fruit is all at the top of the tree.  I think, with all the poor weather we've had, there must have been a big emergence when the weather bucked up.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

I tend to see Red dmirals and Peacocks mostly at this time of year. My asters - like Michaelmas daisies are popular with them but only a few at a time.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down