A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 9 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+26
Ploshkin
warlock1
Colleen Beahan
Adrian
freebird
Luath
Kristy lee
MrsC
Leanne
frankbeswick
Mike
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Broadstoneuk
Sparhawk
Lottie
budburst12
Thewoollyshepherd
Jaded Green
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Snoopka
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
polgara
Compostwoman
Dandelion
30 posters

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 9 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by polgara 13th August 2011, 1:07 pm

Runner beans, tomatoes & broadbeans. Well pleased.

polgara

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 9 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Dandelion 13th August 2011, 5:22 pm

Runners here as well, also plums and raspberries.

Spring onions-in-a-bucket are coming along well. Thanks for the suggestion Pol; I think I'll grow them in containers all the time now.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 13th August 2011, 11:19 pm

My pleasure D.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristy lee 14th August 2011, 8:06 am

strawberries here are almost ready to eat. My little girl is having a struggle waiting till they are ready. I had to stop and buy a few kgs from the farm up the road the other day lol.

I don't think i'll get out of going to the local strawberry festival this year:lol:
Kristy lee
Kristy lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 14th August 2011, 5:42 pm

Beans, courgettes, tomatoes, cucumbers, herbs, salads, peppers, onions

need to pick the damsons and blaisdon red plums.

am dreaming of tomatoes, now...getting sick of them!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 14th August 2011, 10:33 pm

Well, having been away for a week I returned to a sea of weeds. Some useful stuff amongst it though. A lot of slighly overripe/split tomatoes have gone through the passata press. Cobra and Blue lake beans cooked into Madhur Jaffery's "Spicy Green beans", which seems to survive freezing better than the beans alone do for some reason. Also fridge stocked with carrots, cabbage, cucumbers and tromboncino corgettes. Tromboncinos make great kolokithakia tiganita - Greek style corgette slices dipped in a beer batter and fried - which is what I plan to do with them Very Happy
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 23rd August 2011, 10:27 am

First sweetcorn of the season went from the plant to the barbecue as quickly as I could manage last night. Yum. Also harvested more tromboncino, orange peppers, and too many cucumbers ...

Quince tree looks very promising this year after many years of being completely unproductive. I may be asking you lot for recipie suggestions shortly Very Happy
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 29th August 2011, 10:19 am

Today
Lettuce
spring onions
radish
Onions
sage.
Well pleased with that.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 3rd September 2011, 12:48 pm

Pulled the resat of the onions. Have enough for a couple of months probably so well pleased.

A nice bunch of parsley drying in the oven.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC 3rd September 2011, 5:51 pm

Chard this week - annoyingly a bit late as I think the slugs beat me to some of it!

Mrs C
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie 8th September 2011, 5:20 pm

I just picked a whole basket full of Cox apples, bootiful Very Happy and I used the same basket my nan used when she harvested fruit.. kinda cool.. Wink I've also got the one she used to use for collecting eggs too! Bless her cottons.. Very Happy
Lottie
Lottie

http://www.lilypads.biz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 8th September 2011, 8:04 pm

I've hung up a tomato plant in the shed to see if the toms will ripen quicker - the tomatoes look a little more hopeful but they're so SLOW (and Mr D detests chutney of any kind!!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 11th September 2011, 9:30 am

OH just picked 2 runnerbeans, 13ins long. He is so pleased especially as we had a bad start with them.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Luath 11th September 2011, 1:11 pm

Autumn Bliss raspberries and quinces here today; crab apples this afternoon I hops, three kinds; elderberries and bullaces.
Luath
Luath

http://unboughtdelicacies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 26th September 2011, 8:42 pm

I've just picked the apples from my tiny Spartan tree.The tree is a bit taller than me and only a few years old but yielded enough apples to fill four large plastic seed trays. Not bad, I thought! I wanted to leave them on the tree as long as possible because they taste better picked fresh and don't keep very well, but the tree is in the chickens' part of the garden so any windfalls are theirs. After a breezy weekend it looked as if the chickens were going to have more apples than us!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristy lee 27th September 2011, 11:22 am

passionfruit is not quite ready but starting to look good. Have covered them up as the magpies were eyeing them off and i really want to keep these birds out of that part of the yard (the kids spend heaps of time there and i don't want them to get swooped whilst playing)

Just planted some new mandarine, lemonade and orange trees
Kristy lee
Kristy lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 27th September 2011, 11:29 am

Beetroot of unusual size ! ONE beet made enough Borscht for seven large helpings. This is the first year I've grown Forono and I'm impressed; I expected it to be woody and have poor colour having got that big, but not at all, lovely deep colour and nice flavour. It will definitely go on the sowing list for nest year.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 27th September 2011, 7:56 pm

Kristy lee wrote:passionfruit is not quite ready but starting to look good. Have covered them up as the magpies were eyeing them off and i really want to keep these birds out of that part of the yard (the kids spend heaps of time there and i don't want them to get swooped whilst playing)

Just planted some new mandarine, lemonade and orange trees

My sister lives in Perth: in the garden of her previous house she had a mandarin tree. One of her sons got into trouble at the age of six for selling the fruit from the edge of the front lawn - she thought he was quietly playing until a man knocked at the front door and said he would buy the lot!!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 3rd October 2011, 10:35 am

Rocoto chillies at last ! This summer has not been a good one for my chillies, with many taking a long time to ripen and coming out disappointingly mild. The Rocotos are properly hot though. I gave some to C-H Jnr to taste; he seemed to quite like them, though he did need to run two laps of the house and drink a glass of water ... I'll make a true Chilli head of him yet, I reckon Laughing
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 5th November 2011, 9:09 pm

Today I picked the last of the Ancho and Mulato chillies, and a good few borlotti beans. There's some chicken and chorizo in the fridge, so that sounds like a good meal sorted Very Happy
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 29th November 2011, 11:37 am

Still picking tomatoes to ripen indoors, also lettuce. Spring onions will wait for Christmas. Think with the change in the weather we shall not get much more though.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 10th December 2011, 9:42 pm

Still picking tomatoes, hopefully we shall fresh homegrown toms, lettuce & spring onions for Christmas,what a treat to have nice sweet tomatoes at this time of year.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 23rd December 2011, 11:09 am

Picked carrots, radish & spring onions today. Onions small but will be just right for potato salad & garnish. Will also be able to pick lettuce on Boxing Day.

Runner beans from the garden are in the freezer, so we will having own veg for dinners. Carrots will also be good for dips.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 23rd December 2011, 11:28 am

Brussels sprouts, mistletoe and yet another goose.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristy lee 23rd December 2011, 12:22 pm

we're still getting some strawberries coming up here which is strange as they are normally finished by now, won't complain about that though.

Tomatoes, passionfruit, mulberries, cucumbers are going great atm.
Kristy lee
Kristy lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 31st December 2011, 7:36 pm

Did a bit of a 'stir fry forage' around the garden - tried some Cavolo Nero kale, which is a bit young really, but it was delicious, and the chinese broccoli which is flowering before it should be and was also delicious.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next