A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 13 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+26
Ploshkin
warlock1
Colleen Beahan
Adrian
freebird
Luath
Kristy lee
MrsC
Leanne
frankbeswick
Mike
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Broadstoneuk
Sparhawk
Lottie
budburst12
Thewoollyshepherd
Jaded Green
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Snoopka
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
polgara
Compostwoman
Dandelion
30 posters

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 13 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by freebird 13th September 2012, 11:03 am

Some surprise potatoes. I lost all my later sown crop to blight, but a single specimen had grown in the pathway between the potato and brassica plots - I think it was one that didn't get dug up last year, so a different variety. Anyway, it didn't succumb to blight and I have a nice crop of potatoes from that one plant. I think it is 2nd early Nicola, as that is what I planted last year.

And spurred on by Dandelion's parsnip, I dug the first of mine. Leaves were quite manky, and the parsnip isn't as magnificent as D's, but good enough, and I have high hopes for those that remain.

freebird

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 13 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Chilli-head 13th September 2012, 11:34 am

Aren't parsnips said to be best after they have been frosted a bit ? I have a few which look promising, but will leave them a bit yet.

We had cabbage, broccoli and tomatoes roasted with (Bedfordshire !) Greek oregano with dinner last night. Mmm. Might be the last of the cabbages, unless there is time for some "bonus" cabbages to grow from the stalks of the ones I've already cut. It is worth leaving the roots in the ground in the hope - I've had a pretty good second crop some years.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 13th September 2012, 8:30 pm

I'm sure you're right about leaving parsnips to be frosted - I just needed it for tea!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 13th September 2012, 10:32 pm

Chilli-head wrote:Aren't parsnips said to be best after they have been frosted a bit ? I have a few which look promising, but will leave them a bit yet.

I do normally leave the pitiful few I have until after the first frost. But this year I have a good crop that look quite large. The man doesn't like parsnip, so as it is only me eating them, thought I could afford to start on them now. It will be interesting to see if the frost does actually make any difference.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 14th September 2012, 8:33 am

Yes, it will - do tell us what you think. I always follow the advice of leaving them till after the first frost, but some of these ideas turn out to have little truth to them when put to the test !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 14th September 2012, 4:00 pm

Can always pprep & freeze, that has the same effect as far as I know.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 26th September 2012, 5:15 pm

Golden beetroot from last year's seed swap - I'm going to oven bake them with garlic and rosemary...and the oven needs to go on NOW!!!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 2nd December 2012, 8:34 pm

freebird wrote:
Chilli-head wrote:Aren't parsnips said to be best after they have been frosted a bit ? I have a few which look promising, but will leave them a bit yet.

I do normally leave the pitiful few I have until after the first frost. But this year I have a good crop that look quite large. The man doesn't like parsnip, so as it is only me eating them, thought I could afford to start on them now. It will be interesting to see if the frost does actually make any difference.

Well, we've had a couple of sharp frosts recently, and I wanted a parsnip for dinner tonight. It was a tad sweeter than the first ones I dug in September, but not so much difference that I would religiously leave them all until after the first frost.

Also pulled a swede (and ruefully surveyed the remains of my sprouting broccoli - yes it is netted, but those fat b@st@rd pigeons just sit on the netting and weigh it down, then peck the leaves through the netting).
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 2nd December 2012, 9:21 pm

Nothing much left to harvest now - I picked the last lettuce from the cold frame which was a bit brittle from the frost, and the guinea pig has been eating the last of the mizuna.
Never mind - next year's broad beans and cauliflowers are sitting in pots in the greenhouse, so it's all beginning again.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Colleen Beahan 4th January 2013, 6:04 am

What can I do with Chillis. I have three bushes which are loaded.

Colleen
Colleen Beahan
Colleen Beahan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 4th January 2013, 4:46 pm

Are you looking for cooking/storage or cultivating ideas? And which part of the world are you gardening in?
We have a chilli expert on the forum - I'm sure he'll be along soon to help!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 4th January 2013, 7:11 pm

Hello - did someone call ?

I presume you're looking to preserve them, in which case it depends on what you want to make them into, and how fleshy they are.

Thin walled chillies, fully ripe, can be dried - it's easiest to use a needle and thread to string them through the stems, then hang them over a radiator or stove to dry. Thicker walled chillies like many Mexican types (Ancho, Mulato and Habaneros too) will tend not to dry well, easily going moldy. These varieties are best frozen, whole or chopped.

Other possibilities described in earlier threads include Pickling, Chilli Jam and Candied chillies, then there is Adrian's Sweet Chilli Jelly, and I have done my best to show how you can smoke chillies in a kettle barbeque here:Smokin' chillies

Of course, if you want ideas to cook with them, you could consider these :

Pork in a sweet pepper sauce
Indonesian vegetable curry -- Kari Sayur
AJB's Chilli Chocolate truffles-

Should get you started !

Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 5th January 2013, 7:25 pm

From today's Times
'A consultant radiologist has become the first out of 300 people to finishwhat is claimed to be the world's hottest curry, despite suffering hallucinations during the meal. Ian Rothwell, 55, ate the £20 'Widower' which is full of Naga chillis and measures six million units on the Scoville scale. Dr Rothwell, from Sudbrooke, Lincolnshire, had to sign a health disclaimer before he was served at the Bindi restaurant in Grantham.'
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 5th January 2013, 7:48 pm

Strangely enough, this is the one bit of the Times Mrs C-H read out to me earlier Very Happy

Another thought I had for Colleen - you could save the seed out of some of them, and join the seed swap to get some other interesting varieties for the coming year ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by warlock1 20th January 2013, 10:19 am

i have been harvesting leeks really good in stews and for leek and potato bake
warlock1
warlock1

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 20th January 2013, 1:28 pm

I harvested leeks and parsnips yesterday - it took a little while to find them, and then it was a bit chilly on the fingers getting them out of the frozen ground, but the curried parsnip soup was worth the trouble !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 20th January 2013, 1:31 pm

Thanks for reminding me chaps - I have some leeks hidden under mesh which I should go and look at (I guess that leek moth aren't going to be a problem in this weather...)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by warlock1 27th January 2013, 3:04 pm

dug up some more leeks today and picked some brussel sprouts
will have them with our sunday roast
warlock1
warlock1

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 21st April 2013, 1:02 pm

Rhubarb, and some surprise purple sprouting broccoli - I thought the pigeons had eaten the lot.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 30th May 2013, 2:39 pm

First new potatoes from a planter in the greenhouse. These are always 'free' as the planting medium is a mix of garden/worm compost and spent compost from last year's pots. And the potatoes are kitchen potatoes that sprouted. So, a couple of meals of Charlottes to enjoy.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 30th May 2013, 4:37 pm

Oooh, Charlottes - lovely!!
We have basically just got rhubarb (and quite a lot of it thanks to all the rain last year), and spring greens, which have been incredibly late this year, and are only just big enough for two people. But we need to eat the greens, as I need the space for the tomatoes which are coming on apace!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 11th June 2013, 1:20 pm

First onion of the year went into last night's dinner. They are just the bolters from the overwintered onions, but at least it is something.

Oh almost forgot, greenhouse cucumbers, cuicino Really great variety this, lots of snack sized cucumbers. Tzatsiki at the weekend, I think ...i
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 19th June 2013, 8:09 pm

First ripe strawberry from the allotment today ! Just one, but delicious.

Also had the first helping of broad beans tonight.  Looking at the plants, it will be the first of not too many pickings.  Nice though.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 19th June 2013, 10:20 pm

hahaha - I counted my broad beans tonight, and there are about half a dozen pods in total. Not quite the 'bean fest' I was hoping for!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 27th June 2013, 3:59 pm

Quite a good crop of coriander leaves at the moment, so we had gucci mutter paneer the other day. No, nothing to do with handbags, these Gucci are mushrooms ! It is mushrooms, peas and Indian cheese with a sauce of yoghurt, green chillies, coriander and mint. I had to use bought chillies- the shame of it Embarassed

Oh yes - a few strawberries ripe now too.

Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 27th June 2013, 5:54 pm

Ooh, CH, tell me about growing coriander. We have a serious coriander habit, but I can't seem to get anything decent when I try growing it. I get just a very few leaves before it all goes to seed. I've given up temporarily.

Picked strawberries today, and the first few raspberries. Still using last year's chillies that I dried, but down to the last few meals now. I'll have to buy some before the next harvest.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next