A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by Dandelion 15th September 2017, 9:29 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 15th September 2017, 4:21 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

» seed saving
by freebird 29th August 2017, 1:49 pm

» Argh - how do you grow lettuce ?
by Ploshkin 26th August 2017, 9:40 pm

» Knitting in the round
by FloBear 19th August 2017, 1:41 pm

» What happened to the garden in August ?
by freebird 19th August 2017, 12:24 pm

» Greek "oily" green beans
by Ploshkin 18th August 2017, 7:33 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 12th August 2017, 9:09 pm

» The Polytunnel
by freebird 8th August 2017, 10:44 pm

» What are you preserving today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:17 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:11 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:02 pm

» No more petrol / diesel cars from 2040 ?
by FloBear 31st July 2017, 10:21 pm

» Hugelkultur
by FloBear 23rd July 2017, 9:50 am

» Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?
by Dandelion 20th July 2017, 7:32 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 19th July 2017, 8:25 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is gseifrit

Our users have posted a total of 44707 messages in 2320 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

What are you harvesting today?

Page 35 of 35 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 33, 34, 35

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Ploshkin on 8th September 2017, 10:39 am

Ah ha, I think the memory (or lack of it in this case) is at play here. Why did I think I would remember which end of the row were Kew Blue and which end were Mr Fearn's? The other end of the row does have green pods coming. (My Mr F seeds were ones I saved from last year) I did the same with my Tut peas and sugar snaps and had to wait until the pods were there before I could tell which was which.

Write out 100 times - I must use labels, I must use labels, I must use labels ........

Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 8th September 2017, 10:52 am

Ploshkin wrote:
Write out 100 times - I must use labels, I must use labels, I must use labels ........

Even when I remember to take some labels with me to the lotty, the birds wait till I've gone home to pull them up and scatter them around so I still don/t know which is which !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 8th September 2017, 7:53 pm

Thanks for reminding me - I filled up a space in the garden with the last of a packet of rocket seeds, meaning to put a label in before I think to myself "That's a nice empty space - I'll sow some seeds in it" and sow a second lot over the top (I've done that before...) By the way, can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but I discovered wooden tongue depressors very cheap on Amazon (£1 for about 100) - if you're short sighted, and insist on gardening without your glasses on (like me) it's very handy to have big plant labels. A sharpie will do a fairly long lasting label, and then when they get a bit weather-beaten I dry the labels off and use them for kindling.

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 11th September 2017, 11:23 am

Grapes !  Got to them before the blackbirds this year.

These are winemaking grapes, I think scheurebe and sylvaner, and have a few too many seeds for easy eating, but are very sweet, especially the right one.  Not enough to make wine, but I got the press out and made about a litre of juice, enough for a few breakfasts.

Also harvesting carrots, beetroot, the Italian climbing beans Stortino di Trento, more tomatilloes.

And ... finally I have some ripe chillies Very Happy Jamaican yellow and Aji lemon drop.  Both seeds saved from chillies sent to be by a Kitchen Garden magazine forum member.  Some of the Mulato mght be turning too.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 11th September 2017, 12:21 pm

They look magnificent, CH.
Is your press a big jobbie that can do hard fruit like apples and pears as well? I have to compost such a lot at this time of year, it would be nice to make juice from some of the produce.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 11th September 2017, 1:43 pm

Not sure which thread mentioned wrapping up cucumbers (or was it courgettes) in cling film to keep them. Didn't work for me, they have gone mouldy. Probably couldn't keep them cool enough. More for the compost bin Neutral
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 11th September 2017, 3:21 pm

It's worked better for courgettes than cucumbers this year for me.  I used 3 big courgettes (wannabe narrows) yesterday for pickle. They had been wrapped and left in the kitchen, which is always warm, for the best part of a month and were perfect.
I think cucumbers, generally, seem to be a bit challenged this year.  I don't know anyone who hasn't struggled with them.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 11th September 2017, 7:08 pm

Luckily they weren't the tastiest cucumbers I've ever grown. I hope the compost worms and beasties enjoy them!
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 11th September 2017, 9:17 pm

Those are good looking grapes CH, very impressive.
I've been using the first of my red peppers and some green ones too and chillies.  They're a good size.
I've had all the sweetcorn cobs now, about 20 from 11 plants and only a couple partially pollinated.  I've been pleased with how long they stay sweet for (Swift - a super sweet variety).
I've had the last melon.  The later ones have been a bit disappointing because we've had no sun since the beginning of August and they weren't as sweet as the earlier ones.  I had 10 and one other that went rotten.
Still picking pounds of tomatoes and I've finally had a handful of peas from the garden.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 12th September 2017, 10:09 am

FloBear wrote:
Is your press a big jobbie that can do hard fruit like apples and pears as well?

Not really. I have a homemade contraption (of course !). Originally my dad made it; it has a heavy, square stainless steel tray with a welded in spout, and a basket made from perforated stainless sheet rolled and spot welded into a cylinder. The basket is about the size of a demijohn. I have worn it out once and reworked it to an "improved "design.

I have pressed apples in it, it's a bit harder than grapes, but the key is crushing them well first. For that you need a scratter, or some improvisation. My forester friend has a garden shredder reserved for this purpose, but how you clean it afterwards I don't know. I've seen homemade wooden ones with a hopper which feeds the apples onti a hand-cranked drum with lots of countersunk stainless screw heads sticking out of it to chew away at he apples. When cider making, we settled for a much simpler method - put the apples in one of those a plastic garden trugs, and bash them with a "plosher" made from untreated 4x4 with a pair of handles attached. Worked quite efficiently really, and pretty easy to clean. When doing a lot of cider, we have used a friend's Vigo press.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 12th September 2017, 12:40 pm

Of course, silly me! I should have really it was a 'Homemade' contraption!
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 12th September 2017, 6:58 pm

My first year of growing sweetcorn has been good. I grew Swift (as Ploshkin did), and had about six good sized cobs from five plants. I think it would have been even better if we had had more rain - I did water them but I don't think they had as much as they would have liked! Will definitely grow again next year - has anyone tried any other varieties successfully?

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 12th September 2017, 7:53 pm

I have grown Indian summer, which was fun for its multicoloured novelty value, but have settled on lark, another early and supersweet variety. The flavour is excellent. In a good year I get 2 cobs of reasonable size per plant.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 15th September 2017, 4:21 pm

Thanks for the recommendation CH!

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 35 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 33, 34, 35

View previous topic View next topic Back to top