A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 2 Hca_button

What have you done in the garden today?

+37
Boobiejmama
warlock1
Justicar
flute
freebird
Phil D
queen of string
NaturallySimple
Kristy lee
GB
Ginny
BertieFox
mr_sfstk8d
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Lottie
budburst12
Snoopka
danksshady
boobiejuicemama
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Aberlemno
Nick B
Adrian
Hairyloon
Mike
MrsC
Chilli-head
Green Rosie
gunners71uk
AngelinaJellyBeana
Sparhawk
polgara
Penny
Akuma
Tryinghard
Compostwoman
41 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 2 Empty Re: What have you done in the garden today?

Post by Compostwoman 11th February 2010, 2:05 pm

Remember to clear off the snow!

It can rip the plastic and bend the frame from the weight!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 2 Empty Re: What have you done in the garden today?

Post by Green Rosie 12th February 2010, 1:29 pm

It's slid off now Very Happy
Green Rosie
Green Rosie

http://www.eco-gites.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gunners71uk 14th February 2010, 5:09 pm

took over allotment 2 on monday now have dug it over and ship shape readyfor potatoes just a quick fork over and then put spuds in nearer the time
gunners71uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Rosie 14th February 2010, 8:21 pm

Still too cold and snowy here and even if I started seeds in the propagator I doubt I could keep them alive once out. Spuds are chitting though and OH has spring onion seeds on his UK shopping list (you can't get them here). SPring is coming I know but she's is taking her time Rolling Eyes
Green Rosie
Green Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 14th February 2010, 8:49 pm

Have cleared a flower bed of all the old seed heads and dead stuff ( now all eaten by birds) the new growth coming means I need to clear away the dead stuff, finally. Rather sadly I found the remains of Henny and Ginger hens whilst doing so, :-(

I moved 2 hen runs and dug out the droppings, trodden down chippings etc, composted them , put back the runs and laid down new chippings for the feathery ladies.

I managed to re capture the wild Legbar pullets and put them inside the ( newly cleaned out and freshly spruced up) Eglu house and run. They seemed pleased and relieved to be back inside, to be honest!

I dug out 3 compost bins full of compost and composted bark chippings, ready to put in the soon-to-be-made raised beds on the veg patch. I am going to try a strip with raised beds and see if I get a better yield from them than the bare soil beds next door, by growing the same crops in the raised bed and in the flat bed.

Also have measured up the area where the Mega Hen Pen is going to go, and discussed what I want with Compostman, and what materials we will need to order for him to make it ( with my assistance, as needed)

Am off to sit down and watch "Being Human" now, with a glass of wine I think....

More of the same stuff tomorrow, weather gods permitting!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 14th February 2010, 10:11 pm

Sorry you've had to deal with the remains of your chickens, CW. Sounds like a productive day otherwise.
I love being in the company of so many people who just can't wait to start growing again. You read in the garden magazines and books that it's just too cold to get things going, but we're all poised at the starting blocks ready to go - just a suggestion that something might possibly survive is enough to get me busy! Very Happy
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 14th February 2010, 10:20 pm

I know, Dandelion! I sort of feel it is still to early, but there IS stuff I can do even now..I won't plant anything outside where it could get frosted, but I CAN clear up beds and do stuff under cover...

so as it is fine and dry I am out there! ( and have the aching back to prove it!)

Have you put some black buckets over your rhubarb buds? ...It will help with the forcing....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16th February 2010, 4:44 pm

Hoped to be able to sort out the areas where the broad beans and peas are waiting to go in. The fork would only penetrate 1/2 inch then it was rock solid with ice. Rolling Eyes Well it was minus 12 in the valley where the veggie patches are last night and it hasn't been much above freezing for days. But rain forcast for tomorrow so it should thaw it out and I may get the beans and mangetout in!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 18th February 2010, 4:30 pm

Have bought too many seed potatoes (as usual...). I'm going to have a go at growing some in compost bags (I'll turn the bags inside out as they have a black lining - I'm thinking that this will keep them a little warmer. Will also put holes in the bags) I've heard that this is as good a method as actually buying potato growing bags.
Question
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Rosie 18th February 2010, 7:55 pm

A lot of the snow went today and we had very cold rain so I doubt the veg patch will be workable for a while. I did do a bit of digging in the PT and tomorrow I plan to try and finish in there or at least add some manure/compost to the bit's I've dug. I'll also check the weather forecast and maybe sow a few hardier seeds.
Green Rosie
Green Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 18th February 2010, 9:05 pm

Dandelion wrote:Have bought too many seed potatoes (as usual...). I'm going to have a go at growing some in compost bags (I'll turn the bags inside out as they have a black lining - I'm thinking that this will keep them a little warmer. Will also put holes in the bags) I've heard that this is as good a method as actually buying potato growing bags.
Question

Yes, it worked better IME and was MUCH cheaper !
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 19th February 2010, 2:12 pm

Managed to plant my shallots today, a bit of a tidy up in the greenhouse & garden, & a mix up in the compost dalek. So well happy.

Pol grow
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 19th February 2010, 2:16 pm

Snow here so nothing outside can be done AND I can't work in the PT as I can't get my shoes or boots on ( and I can't walk, anyway...)

Grrr.....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 19th February 2010, 3:51 pm

...and there's a limit to how much planning/dreaming you can do - we've had three months to sit around planning! Neutral
Hope your foot improves quickly Sad
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 19th February 2010, 3:56 pm

Ta!

(waves in the direction of Ledbury)
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 20th February 2010, 2:16 pm

It's getting desperate - I have shaken the snow off the bag of compost, stood in the sun (very nice!) and sieved the compost, filled up some pots and brought them into the living room to warm them up so I can grow something!! I'm not house proud Very Happy
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 20th February 2010, 2:31 pm

I pot up seedlings on the Lounge table....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 23rd February 2010, 4:49 pm

Cleaned out the henhouses ( all three, real scrubbing job), moved a load more leaves into one of the leaf mould bins, looked gloomily at the snow covered veg plot, planted some more salad seeds and filled up some more loo roll tubes with growing medium.

I am SO sick of snow....its snowing here AGAIN!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 23rd February 2010, 5:00 pm

We have rain, rain & more rain, it is really difficult to get things done. Have made a start in the greenhouse, but there is only so much you can do. Really fed up with it all.

Pol
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 23rd February 2010, 8:29 pm

Well I had enough of all this waiting & as it was too cold to go out into the greenhouse while Lady Sparhawk was at work I "converted" the kitchen into a seeding room & thought I would put some seeds in to sprout with a view to planting them this weekend so today I put in a few:

Kale
Beetroot
Broccolli Raab (this is the last chance if it doesnt work this time they go)
Lettuce
Carrot
Pepper
2 sorts of tomato
Aubergene
Peas
Broad beans
& Leeks
These could prove interesting as they "self seeded" the kitchen carpet, so Lady S might not need to walk quite so far as she thinks when they come up What have you done in the garden today? - Page 2 Greensmilies-029...
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 23rd February 2010, 10:24 pm

That's really funny!

Have planted two kinds of tomatoes as well - one is Tamina,which is a potato-leaved variety and seems a bit more blight resistant than some. It also seems a bit more resilient generally - we like 'resilient' here in snowy Herefordshire!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 23rd February 2010, 10:41 pm

Dandelion would you like to do a tomato plant swap? OI always wnd up with far too many plants of far too many varieties...so we could do a swap....

?

Anyone else near enough to come and get some will be very welcome, as well...!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 24th February 2010, 12:50 pm

That would be great - are you planning to grow any interesting ones (yellow, black etc)? We could arrange a get-together for anyone near enough to travel..... :r2:
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 24th February 2010, 5:25 pm

Went down to have a peek for germination this morning - the first of my orange bell peppers (from the Real Seed Catalogue) has just shown its head. Up so far are Hungarian wax and Ancho poblano, and tomatoes St Pierre, purple russian, Franchi red pear and Rio Grande. So exciting to have things growing again ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 24th February 2010, 6:53 pm

Dandelion wrote:That would be great - are you planning to grow any interesting ones (yellow, black etc)? We could arrange a get-together for anyone near enough to travel..... :r2:

ooh a Marches/Midlands seed/plant swap event here? we could have a party as well.....and a camp fire in the wood etc....

Hmm will have a ponder and think when would be the best time for plant swaps.....

yes I grow Black Russan, Yellow Perfection, Golden Sunrise, Derby striped, all sorts really! various HSL ones..I ALWAYS end up with too many, I lose some to school and I sell some to raise funds for Eco Club, but even so.....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 24th February 2010, 6:54 pm

Chilli Head they sound wonderful! I have only just planted some of mine....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next