A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Harvest season in the September garden Hca_button

Harvest season in the September garden

5 posters

Go down

Harvest season in the September garden Empty Harvest season in the September garden

Post by Chilli-head 11th September 2018, 12:24 pm

So, we are a little way into September now, and it seems to be a mild one.  Hopefully a chance to make up for the poor results I've had earlier in the year.

What I can report on is my butternut squash experiment. This year I grew two varieties, one from the Organic Garden catalogue (was Chase organics, now sold to Dobies) which was simply sold as "Butternut squash", and "Early butternut", I forget where from.  Both produced similar large fruits, but for now the Early Butternut is clearly in the lead for yield, with ~4 fruits per plant compared with ~2 each for the Organic Garden catalogue variety.  All are looking just about ready to be picked for storage.

Whilst Googling. I found that the RHS have a butternuit squash trial, results here.  My varieties don't feature though.

Last edited by Chilli-head on 1st October 2018, 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Harvest season in the September garden Empty Re: Harvest season in the September garden

Post by freebird 11th September 2018, 2:39 pm

I've finished harvesting squash now. Disappointed with the yield, ending up with 8 squashes off 5 plants. Mostly Uchiki Kuri, but a couple of Winter Dumpling from the seed swap.

Runner beans coming good now in this cooler weather, along with autumn raspberries and everbearer strawberries. From the greenhouse, chillies, peppers and a few later tomatoes.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Harvest season in the September garden Empty Re: Harvest season in the September garden

Post by Chilli-head 12th September 2018, 3:58 pm

Some radishes it seems like I only just sowed are ready now. I'm having another go at Chinese cabbage, which I rather like, but so do the slugs. Maybe the dry summer might have reduced their numbers ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 12th September 2018, 4:41 pm

I've finally managed to sort out the collapsed trellis with large blackberry plant attached - I've ditched the trellis (it will make good kindling but was useless as trellis!). In sorting it out and training the new blackberry growth for next year, I decided to dig up a gooseberry bush which was getting in the way and made it harder to pick the blackberries. I had been putting off removing it, as I brought it from our old house 16 years ago: it had grown from a cutting which had a bit of root attached when I took it, and has given us a lot of fruit over the years.However this year it all went to waste as it was in a position where I just couldn't bend down to pick the berries. So I will possibly plant another one next year in a more accessible place. Our freezer is a bit empty of fruit this year, as the rhubarb was affected by the heat, and was quite inedible.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 12th September 2018, 9:34 pm

I picked damsons today. My courgette plant hasn't slowed down at all - I get 3 - 5 off it every day. I'm using cabbages and beans from the garden. Strawberries are coming to an end now and tomatoes seem to be on a break from ripening.
Any suggestions for what to do with dozens of sweet red peppers?
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 12th September 2018, 10:06 pm

Ploshkin wrote:
Any suggestions for what to do with dozens of sweet red peppers?
Madhur Jaffery's Chicken in a red pepper sauce - this particular recipe is already online to save me typing, and appears to be the same as the one in my BBC book.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 13th September 2018, 11:48 am

Thank you for that one Chilli Head, it didn't come up on my search for red pepper recipes. Actually I have an old Madhur Jaffrey book and it is in there. It sounds like a good one for making up just the sauce to freeze too.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 13th September 2018, 12:39 pm

I have a lovely recipe for tomato relish. Don't be fooled by the name - it uses only 1lb tomatoes but 5 good-sized red peppers. Let me know if you are interested.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 13th September 2018, 12:58 pm

Yes please Freebird, if it's one that keeps. I find a lot of relish recipes are 'use within x weeks'
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 13th September 2018, 1:05 pm

Actually, blackened, peeled and blended peppers make as good a base for a sauce as tomatoes, and certainly nice for a change. Mexican mole is another possibility; I make my chilli for taco filling using a pepper based sauce. And variations on mole.

Now I am puzzled as to why one of Ploshkin's posts above is appearing to me on a darker than normal green background ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 13th September 2018, 7:54 pm

It looks very green to me too. Is it because Ploshkin's much greener than the rest of us???
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 16th September 2018, 12:57 pm

It's green on my computer too. Oo-er

I harvested my first butternut squash today. I have no idea what it will be like but it's been squash-coloured for weeks so I thought it worth a punt.

Also pulled off two of the mini corn cobs which I will investigate shortly.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 20th September 2018, 11:10 am

I hope your gardens are surviving the winds we've been having. I was woken in the night by the loud crash of a big terracotta pot smashing - fortunately it was one already frost damaged. I haven't braved going for a look at the allotment yet.

I'm hoping some wood chip will have arrived at the lotty from my local tree surgeon - it helps keep the paths a lot nicer to walk on over winter.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 20th September 2018, 2:44 pm

Winds here are unpleasant but not as extreme as many other parts of the country.
Still no rain.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 21st September 2018, 10:10 pm

The winds have been fierce here and we had torrential rain last night, but when driving to Hereford this morning we didn't see the debris we had expected. One or two branches down but nothing too dramatic
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down